Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought "running" motor from member iarrobino10. Tests came back bad so we didn't put it in. If anyone wants it I will sell for very cheap otherwise it will get junked. Not trying to scam or swindle OP but I do not feel comfortable putting in this motor after testing it first at the shop. He was a good guy at the time of purchase and great communication but unfortunately it seems there is a problem somewhere. Hopefully we can resolve this somehow in this section diplomatically.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
Ive had trouble with this guy sense he bought the motor. He dosn't know the difference between a compression test and a leakdown test. He thought he was doing a compression test out side of the car but then said it was a leak down test, then back to a compression test. First he said there was no compression on all cylinders, then he said it was just 1-3, now hes saying its 1-3 have no compression and 4 has low leak down. I drove this car home which was bought from another forum member. I have multiple witnesses that this motor ran and drove home. He has also had previous problems with rally spec and is currently in court with them. Hes asking for a refund but i don't believe he his trying to return the motor i sold him and is in fact trying to return his old motor that had bad compression.
I was leery about him when he arrived at the house and it was very awkward which i have never had with a fellow subaru owner. Look at my trader rating and post count, ive never had problems with any parts, ever. I make sure all my stuff is top notch before selling it and if its not i explain whats wrong with it. This guy is a scammer and a trouble maker.

On a side note, I will admit to the snake. I had a garder snake that was living in my garage where the motor was. The garage has been under construction and im guessing i disturbed his nest and he found his way under the intake manifold and on top of the block. I had no idea it was there, but i guess he wanted a new home. Cant see any harm a little snake would do to an aluminum motor. It wasn't inside the motor, but on top of the block and under the intake manifold.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I'd be interested to see Javabot take a video of him doing a compression test. I think that'd be hilarious.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
If those are leakdown numbers, thats not bad

if its a compression test, I'd assume the tester made an error.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
Well apparently is a "Legit shop, with a dyno and all the tools" But in my experience, legit shops know the difference between a compression test and a leak down test. I drove this car home over an hour, 111k, and ran great. I have sold motors on here before, one that was in bad shape and i was 100% honest on the condition.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
saw this motor run myself, and this guys an honest seller, never had a problem with him. Bought a lot of parts from him as well.

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clearly I am not trying to slander OP here and with every word I have said about this situation, ever. I realize he has good trader rating which is why I trusted and went with him. I'm not posting negative trader because I just want to work something out. I have low rating on here because I had a wrx before and haven't had the need fix and find parts on rs25 if there were no problems. This is also where I originally bought my rs. There were NO problems at op's house minus the snake and I thought we were on good terms as I was leaving, he seemed like a stand up guy and motor was strapped down well in my car.

When compression test came back bad I asked op what he wanted to do as putting in a bad motor puts me and my mechanic both out much more time and money. OP was working with me and told me to try a trick to get the 3 valves 'unstuck' by putting atf in and spinning. I was asking for him to help my mechanic or simply talk to him if he thinks he is so bad at his job and motor is good but he told me he doesn't trust me and to stop contacting him with no possibility of refund? I'm not a mechanic or shop so I just was relaying info.

If you stand by your parts I would assume you would at least do something... to right a situation? Now I have to buy another motor to swap in and I just want to get rid of this one so I can get my car running again.

OP I will ship you both motors if you want, so you can see I am not swapping in mine and sending yours back? What do I have to gain out of all this? I don't even care about the snake nest at all, I offered to eat the shipping on a return and he accused me of dropping the motor.

It's just sad because I drove all the way up and back for this just to be shunned for asking questions when my mechanic came back with bad news.

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked the shop to do another compression test a bunch of times and if op would call and talk to him due to possible tester error?

I am willing to take any recommendations you guys might have. Remember I am not a shop just trying to get my suby running again. Not trying to profit at ALL here, just want running motor!

OP I apologize in advance if you feel I am posting illegitimate info let me know and I can take anything down.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
My problem is your story keeps changing. First there was no compression, then a bad leak down, then no compression on 1-3 and 4 was fine. now 1-3 and cylinder 4 has a small percentage leak down, (which is still in range to be a good cylinder). And i still have not gotten actual compression numbers, you say you were doing a "psuedo compression test, with your mechanics diagnostic equipment." How do you do that? How are you doing it out of the car? What are you really doing, a compression or leak down? Make up your mind. You can't differentiate the difference between a leak down or a compression test and your story keeps changing. I have no idea what happened to that motor within the now, week its been gone from my garage, how do i know you didn't cause this bad compression? or even worse your giving back your junk motor? I have been 100% compliant through this whole situation, trying to help you out, but after you changed the story one final time, im done. Its a used motor, that had no warranty, It ran 100% when pulled, i drove it an hour home, and was stored in a temp controlled garage. I have 3 forum members that have seen this motor run that can attest to its topnotch condition.

As to shipping, what do you get out of that? Are you aware that shipping a complete motor will be about 200-300.00 and now you want to ship me two? Why are you trying to get rid of it so easy, even taking a huge hit on shipping. Im sorry but its not just me that believes this story is all made up.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
As to talking to your shop, Isnt this so called "shop" a "Legit shop with all the diagnostic equipment", shouldn't they know how to do a compression test? Why do i, whos not a mechanic, just a guy who knows how to do stuff, have to instruct your "shop" how to conduct a compression test? Once again fishy story.

·
Registered
2000, Impreza outback sport
144 Posts
If I'm correct this is the motor I was considering purchasing due to the fact I too have seen it run perfectly. Have also had numerous honest parts purchases and even help with installs from seller. Stand up dude, this guy's an idiot and clearly a liar/scammer

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What story has changed or would I make up? Since this past wed when I left your house it's been the same story, bad numbers on diagnostics. I never did any of the work I said the shop is doing everything, and I was relaying you the info. You watched me strap it down with ratchet straps it went from your house directly to the shop. Snakes came out, they tested it and then tried your 2 day trick and said it still had bad numbers today. That's not two weeks ago when it left your house...

I know you were trying to help and we did try your trick so is there any possibility you can call the shop real quick and ask them what the problem is? I know how to ship freight and have accounts with UPS. I'm not changing my story and you're right it's not warranty'd so if you say it ran 100% I would think there's something we can work out, I'm trying to not lose my whole 600 on this and thats it. Doesn't get any more simple than that.

Is it not entirely possible something isn't as it seemed by no fault of anyone other than it being a used part? I understand your point of selling as is but if there comes a time to decide whether or not put more money into a bad part... and that was today for me. If this was the case I should have just rebuilt my own motor, right? Am I totally crazy for thinking this way?

I'm trying to get it back to you because you seem to think it's running perfectly so I requested a refund and even offered to drive it back up to you but since philly to nh isn't that easy I offered to ship so I'm not out the whole 600.

Are there any tester error messages I can relay to the shop so maybe they can try something else? Unfortunately though I don't have unlimited time or money to revive this used na motor. Again op I'm sorry it has to come to this if you want me to take anything down I will.

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said op was a stand up guy from the start and am not trying to slander his name on here, but how I have become the scammer and a liar is interesting.

Are you guys suggesting I put it in still and see if it runs?

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If he's not testing it right I would assume one quick phone call would resolve it? I am trying to cooperatively work something out.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I'm betting that this "shop" probably isn't somewhere that you want working on your car. If they can't tell you WHY you've got no compression, then they don't have access to even BASIC tools. I can pop out a spark plug, look down the jug, and see "Ok, there's scoring on the walls, so the rings are bad." or "Ok, the valves are stuck open" or whatever.

Here's what I've gathered:

Many people saw this engine run before it was pulled.
You don't have any technical experience.
You gave it to a shop that doesn't have technical experience.

Take it somewhere else, or learn what you're doing. A compression test is BASIC. Unscrew a spark plug, screw in the tester, crank the motor, see what the gauge reads. Even a bad motor will still give you 40-50psi. A good motor will be 120+(ish). To have three cylinders at absolute zero means that someone is a fucking idiot. Also, you have to actually spin the motor (and not just once, oh no. The tubing and gauge increase your cylinder head volume (how much space the air has to fill before it compresses) so you need to spin the motor through three or four compresson cycles. I don't know how they're accomplishing this without the engine attached to a transmission, but I assure you that it's not easy to do by hand. That means at minimum, you have to spin a ratchet on the front of the motor EIGHT TIMES AROUND. Good luck. (hint: remove the other spark plugs too for easier spinning before your arms hurt)

Let me find a youtube vid to explain. BRB.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Just searched all of youtube and was unable to find a compression test that took place without a starter motor.

Your shop is either lying or incompetent. Neither bodes well for your future.

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the input from a few people saying said they saw it running, so should I tell the shop even though you have given me bad numbers, go ahead and swap anyway? They are race engineers and have plenty of equipment and experience so I'm not entirely certain I should change shops yet.

Maybe he should have just thrown it on w/o testing and then check compression that way? I thought I mentioned the motor was never actually on the car and if I didn't I apologize.

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I should also mention I bought a wiper motor from op as well and it works great! Just showing there's nothing against op just want to straighten things out and get this car running again.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
You mentioning that the motor never made it back into a car is EXACTLY why I'm questioning the shop.

It is VERY difficult to do a compression test without the motor being attached to the transmission (as the starter bolts to the transmission). It's possible, yes, but unlikely.

If I were you, I would go to shop, and WATCH the tech do the test. But first watch some youtube videos of how it's done. Then ask the TECH why it's not reading (if in fact he gets a zero reading). If he doesn't whip out a pocket flashlight and look down the bore, get the hell out of there.

And as we've seen MANY times before, just because they're a "Racecar shop" doesn't mean they're good. I know a couple GTR owners who are VERY pissed for very good reasons. In fact, racecar shops, in my experience, do shit work on street cars.

Give us a name, who is the shop?

Tuner Behind "Bad" $250,000 Nissan GT-R Bans Critics From Events

·
Registered
99rs silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is a race engineer and used to work on airplanes. I do not intend to namedrop or slander anyone in this situation but the shop is Procom in nj.

He said he was able to get numbers from the leakdown test and then "recommended" we not put this one in. Our thing is if he puts it in and it runs fine great, but if he does and it doesn't run, then what? This isn't even a custom job, it's a straight swap heart transplant.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts