Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting conflicting info- EJ22 and EJ25 parasidic power loss numbers. the numbers that I've seen put it around 30hp for 5MT and 50hp loss for 4EAT. Despite that, the dyno info I've seen here recently suggests more; something like 42hp or more for 5MT. Haven't seen a dyno for a 4EAT.

Since I'm starting with a 2000 GF4 EJ22 4EAT, I'm curious where I can expect my numbers to be...

I'd like to convert to a 5MT, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense on a commuter car.

Search hasn't turned up anything "definitive."

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd like to convert to a 5MT, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense on a commuter car.

don't forget that on top of the power you'll gain to the wheels, your fuel economy will increase and the car will become MUCH more fun to drive.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
don't forget that on top of the power you'll gain to the wheels, your fuel economy will increase and the car will become MUCH more fun to drive.
That is true, but even forget about parasitic powerloss for a sec. If you are considering powerloss like that, then whatever your using it for (sprinted driving, autox) will work better with 5MT.

Take for example, you have an EJ22 with 4EAT. You try to floor it up some hill and twisites, but it keeps getting caught in a higher gear than you want/need for that point. Hence, your power to the wheels is low due to the gearing. If you had 5MT and could control that, using higher revs, you would be faster.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
This is a commuter car? If you want a 5 MT, sell it and buy one. The work is not worth it unless you're tossing in a whole new drivetrain. Considering this is a driver, I'd guess you're not doing that right now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts