Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up painting my dash cause of ugly tan. So I bought some DupliColor Vinyl Spray and went to town. I couldnt get the dash out so I did it while it was in the car and taped everything up. I couldnt get the dumb guage cluster out....? there was a metal tube going to it..? I dont know how or wtf that is.

Anyways I am not done but I finished to center stuff and the dash. The dash might need another coat in the center but no biggie thats easy. anyways:

Semi Before:

After:

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
Looking good, now you just need to do the doors.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many cans did you need to do it? I may want to do that first before I flock tan colored dashes. Looks pretty good BTW.
I used 1 can... but I am going to go over it again... ya dude I want you to flock my dash :)

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
I used 1 can... but I am going to go over it again... ya dude I want you to flock my dash :)
Wow, only one can. I think I used like 3 on the dash alone. Be careful though. It will scratch easily. I used a combination of plasti-dip and vinyl paint and it still scratches pretty easily. The dash still looks good though.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Oh and that cable is the speedo cable and all you have to do is pull on it. You have to pull hard and more than you would want to.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and that cable is the speedo cable and all you have to do is pull on it. You have to pull hard and more than you would want to.
wow speedo cable, is ancient tech why is it even in my car lol its a 96

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey looks good ive been thinking of doing that to my L excpt i want to do everything. In my line of work ( Auto REfinish) there is a company called SEM they sell all sorts of interior painting products , either in a spray bomb or where you can use a gun to spray it. Also they have paint meant for rug , capret, headliners, and so on. It was at a seminar you spray it on it and brush it in .

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
hope the rattle can paint doesn't let loose!

SEM also makes a rattle can dye (above) that is really made for vinyl. it sticks better than paint, and is flexible to allow for movement in the plastic.

remember to prep the holy hell out of interior plastics when painting them, definately use a solvent to remove the slime.. they're waxy and greasy and have been lubed up with oils and goos for years.

a few hot days in the sun and these oils will be released from the plastic, letting your paint flake off like snakeskin...

just a little FYI

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
looks fantastic!

...im still wishing i hadn't riced my dash out. i like it, its a calm blue to match my wheels and whatnot, but not many people seem to like it.

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
dude....didnt you already have a thread about doing your dash? wtf, you think youre special or something?

......cack

:)

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
wow looks fantastic! Except now the door panels stand out even more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts