Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a question that many may have thought of over time. What do you prefer? Paint or Vinyl?

I personally am a huge Vinyl wrap fan.. already have plans of a matte grey wrap with black surrounds on the head lights, tail lights and bottom bumper lip.

Paint just doesnt make me that impressed with a vehicle.. what is your thoughts?

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
If you're A type gets bored quickly, go with wrap.
If you're type B very content, go with with paint.
Paint always look better than wrap.

·
Registered
2009 BL5, 2001 RS
3,472 Posts
Wrap will never look as good as a clean paint job.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
The Wrap example looks like $#*t IMO. There's no depth and every swinging d!%k on the deck is doing matte color schemes so no points for originality either. And if you're already paying up to 3 grand for one you might as well pony up and get a legitimate paint job. If you admit that you like wrap more than paint then why even ask for people's opinion here?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Wrap example looks like $#*t IMO. There's no depth and every swinging d!%k on the deck is doing matte color schemes so no points for originality either. And if you're already paying up to 3 grand for one you might as well pony up and get a legitimate paint job. If you admit that you like wrap more than paint then why even ask for people's opinion here?
I was just asking for a general opinion on the forum. It's obvious that you prefer paint.. I want to know what others prefer?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Wrap or matte paint. Look the same from a distance. Wrap looks like crap up close. I hate the matte look. Every dude bro is sporting a stupid matte look. Then there's the other douche bags who take a a car with a good paint job, then rattle can some flat gray or flat black paint on it.

So for me, anything matte color = you're a ***. Be it paint, wrap, or plasti-dip.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Think anyone that has seen a wrapped car up close would say it looks like ****. It looks fine from about 10 to 15+ ft away.

It might look good if whoever does the wrap decided to pull the body panels, bumpers, and exterior trim pieces off, then wrap the car. After that, wrap the pieces that were taken off. I've never seen this done though, so I have no idea if it'd actually look any good or not, but I'd imagine it'd look better than how they currently wrap cars. Still won't look better than an actual good paint job.

Also, are you sure that BMW is wrapped? BMW in Germany do provide you with matte paint schemes. My co-worker has a BMW M5 with a matte black paint direct from dealer.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
Think anyone that has seen a wrapped car up close would say it looks like ****. It looks fine from about 10 to 15+ ft away.

It might look good if whoever does the wrap decided to pull the body panels, bumpers, and exterior trim pieces off, then wrap the car. After that, wrap the pieces that were taken off. I've never seen this done though, so I have no idea if it'd actually look any good or not, but I'd imagine it'd look better than how they currently wrap cars. Still won't look better than an actual good paint job.

Also, are you sure that BMW is wrapped? BMW in Germany do provide you with matte paint schemes. My co-worker has a BMW M5 with a matte black paint direct from dealer.
That's the thing. The pros will do just that and you will pay out the @$$ for the labor to do it right (unless you're taking it all apart yourself) so it ends up costing almost nearly as much as you would an actual paint job for a finished product that wont last nearly as long.

Yep BMW "Individual" Program offers satin finishes and exotic trim materials to customers who are willing to pay a premium over the cost of the same car with non satin finish. It's definitely a trend that has taken hold and Car Co's are trying to answer that demand offering powdercoated wheels/wraps etc. On some cars it works but for the most part it looks cheap. Now I did see an M3 once with this funky metallic blue wrap that I can honestly say made me do a double take. But Im betting it cost even more than what a paint job would cost :lol:

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
The only reason I would ever wrap a car, is I bought it brand new, wanted to protect the paint, and knew I was going to sell if off in a few years.

As for the BMW paint, I did see one crazy looking M3 from Switzerland. It was matte black, but looked like they crushed glass or something into the paint. Which isn't unusually, except these things weren't finely crushed. They protruded out. You literally could feel the bumps and crap. Wish I took a picture when I saw it, but phone battery died while I was snowboarding.

·
Registered
1999, Impreza 2.5 RS, Black
159 Posts
Wrapping is a good idea to protect the original paint and to be able to have a different color for a while without having to go the plastidip route. Paint when done correctly though will look much better than any vinyl job could. The depth of a show quality paint job is truly incredible. It looks like it could go on forever, like looking into the depths of the ocean.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
How about option C - plasti dip.

It's not $4k for a wrap, and $5k for a paint job, it's not permanent, it's paint, and it's removable, you can do it yourself... and including the price of a nice paint gun, it will be difficult to pay over $600 for diy route, or perhaps triple for having someone else do it.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,610 Posts
I have a full vinyl wrap on my car. I did the whole thing myself. I took a class Avery was offering(they give you a free roll of 25 yards of wrap film(and a set of wrapping tools) which pays for the class if you were to buy the roll normally(a $500 value).

My advise is this, if you are going to take the time to learn how to do it right and do the labor yourself wrapping the car is awesome. If you are going to pay somebody to do it its totally not worth it. Like JWalker said, for what you pay to have somebody do it you could have almost painted the car.

Here is a couple shots of my car after I wrapped in it Avery's Bright Blue Metallic

Most people can't believe its wrapped, they think its paint(this wrapping film have metallic flakes in it just like paint). If done properly a wrap can look really good even up close, there are some areas like the front bumper and spoiler were you cannot avoid having some small seams, and if you look close you can see them. One other thing, this is a gloss wrap and it not nearly as glossy as a real paint job. There is no way I could have got a $500 paint job to look as good as the wrap, and I don't yet have the skills to paint my car yet.

Oh and its pretty awesome to just be able to wrap new body parts rather than have to paint them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts