Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I posted this in the brake section but I meant to pst it here cuse I need a faster awnser. So I apologize if it makes any one mad. Well heres the story. I bought some rotors and calipers from moose last month and I finally got around to buying some new pads today. I was told by moose that the calipers were off a 95 WRX and the calipers are the same as the USDM RS. Well I have the old pads that were already on the calipers but they were not with me when I bought the pads. So I bought pads for a 99 RS cause I assumed they were the same thing cause thats what I was told. So I get home to compare the pads and they are not the same at all. Keep in mind these calipers are the pre 99 with just the one bolt you take out then it slides of the long bolt. I should of went with 98 pads I guess but I figured they were the same. I took pictures of the old and new pads and the holding clip. I need to know what pads to buy. Let me know what you guys think. sorry for the links. i resized the pics on photobucket but they were still coming out huge on here.

Heres a pic of the old pad

and heres a pic of the new one

and heres the pic of the holding clip

as you all can clearly see they are not the same. sorry for the bad pics something is wrong with my camera. every pic comes out blurry. Let me know what you guys think about the pads.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Initialdaddict said:
All the pictures are failures. And if the calipers are from a 95, and the usdm is equivalent to them, then why didn't you buy 95 pads?

becuase he was told that the RS ones were the same....by quess who. :rolleyes:

i can't see the pics as i'm at work right now...i'll answer when i get home.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
If they are the two pot fronts, they should be the same. Maybe the parts store gave you the wrong type. Its happened to me before when I didn't bring the old pads. :confused: Bring the old pads with you next trip and try a couple of different year rs, maybe they are giving you L pads. Could you post a pic of the caliper(s)?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initialdaddict said:
All the pictures are failures. And if the calipers are from a 95, and the usdm is equivalent to them, then why didn't you buy 95 pads?
i did not think they had 2 pot calipers on the early imprezas. correct me if im wrong though. I was told they were the same as the rs calipers thats why i got newer ones.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
Two pots as in two pistons on the same (inner) side, not two opposed like on the rear brembos. That should be the older wrx type caliper you have. :corn:

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
slow98 said:
i did not think they had 2 pot calipers on the early imprezas. correct me if im wrong though. I was told they were the same as the rs calipers thats why i got newer ones.
I'm pretty sure the '95s were different.

Ah-ha, here we go:

http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive97_98.html

Scroll down to the "Brakes" description. The '98 RS is listed as having dual-piston front calipers; the other models do not.

My guess is that they were carryovers from the Legacy line, just like the engine.

Also consider that the previous years, starting with '93, had even smaller front rotors than the 10.1" ones for MY1998 - they were 9.4". I'm not sure when the 10.1" ones came into use, maybe MY1997 but I'm not positive.

http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i went back today to see what i could come up with and it turns out the MY95 pads come up as the same design but are not as wide. but those are for the awd setup. now the 2wd setup has the same looking pads but they seem to be wider. so there were none there to look at so i got them ordered. so we will see how that goes.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
The pads on my front calipers (from a 96 legacy single piston) are like the ones in your second photo with the center extended on both ends. I believe the part number was mkd 722. The pads from my normal 95L front single piston calipers were like the used ones on the top. :confused: Do your calipers have dual pistons, or just one per caliper?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
You're just going to have to try different pads, the parts store isn't going to have a clue which ones are right, even if you are comparing them to a us model. Its not S's fault, just happens when you have jdm parts, they are a little different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts