Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now i know speeding and street racing are very touchy topics. If your comment is going to be something to the effect of "slow down" or "your an asshole", dont waste your time, i'm gonna ignore those comments. Yeah, I know, it was stupid. With that said...

I live in NJ, but at the time i was in PA on I-78 driving the WRX. Long story short i got a ticket for 90 in a 55. Now i'm no rookie when it comes to pleading not guilty to tickets. If i plead not guilty i can reduce the points while increasing the fine. I just want to know if i SHOULD fight the ticket. From what i hear, a PA ticket will not put points on my NJ liscence. If this is the case then i will simply mail a check and be done with it. But if the points are going to go on my liscence, then i want to fight it as best as i can. Does anyone know or have a similar experience?

[Flamesuit=ON]

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
OK, now i know speeding and street racing are very touchy topics. If your comment is going to be something to the effect of "slow down" or "your an asshole", dont waste your time, i'm gonna ignore those comments. Yeah, I know, it was stupid. With that said...

I live in NJ, but at the time i was in PA on I-78 driving the WRX. Long story short i got a ticket for 90 in a 55. Now i'm no rookie when it comes to pleading not guilty to tickets. If i plead not guilty i can reduce the points while increasing the fine. I just want to know if i SHOULD fight the ticket. From what i hear, a PA ticket will not put points on my NJ liscence. If this is the case then i will simply mail a check and be done with it. But if the points are going to go on my liscence, then i want to fight it as best as i can. Does anyone know or have a similar experience?

[Flamesuit=ON]
I'm not sure about the whole pts thing not being transferred to a NJ license, but I fought my speeding ticket (50 in a 25...construction zone none the less) and in my g/f POS saturn lol. I fought it because they wanted to give me like 3-4 pts on my license. The judge asked me if I was there for the pts and I said not exactly I'm here b/c I don't want the pts. He had a chuckle and just gave me a $190 fine. I'd find out about the pts being transferred and if they would trnsfer to a NJ license then yeah fight it. And don't let anyone tell you to not pay the fine or show up for court b/c I'm pretty sure if
you would ever get pulled over again no matter what state, it would show that you have an unpaid speeding ticket in PA. Hope this helps bro.

·
Registered
97, Legacy 2.5GT, silver
937 Posts
:bonk:as far as I know I think they transfer. They do from PA to MD. however points don't transfer from MD to PA. Lucky me I live in PA and drive a truck in MD. If I where you I would contact the officer and tell him you know you where a jack ass and you don't mind paying the fine but you are concerned about the points ect. (just so you know in PA an excess of 30mph over the limit comes with an automatic suspension so does street racing I know from experiance.) try to convince him to give you a fine that doesn't come with the points. If he's feeling generous he could give you a fine for disobediance to traffic control devices. basically means you disobayed the speed limit sign w/ no points. if that doesn't work kiss the judges ass. good luck

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,222 Posts
dude tell me about it. I drive cars for a dealership and have to drive I-78 alot. Cops on that stretch are everywhere, and yes it is VERY easy to be doing 90 on that road. Trust me....

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
You WILL get points. They transfer from almost every state now.

Go to court, be respectful and apologetic and pray they dont rape you in the ass.

Sometimes you can speak with the DA prior to the opening of court and work something out, depends on the town.

Chris

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
I do believe those points will transfer, but even if they don't, a cop can see any points from any state if he runs your lic. #
Step 1- Call the cop. Be courteous and kind and explain to him that yes, you were speeding and you feel really bad/stupid about it. Tell him that you realize it was a big mistake to do it, and you could really lose your job if you get too many points on your lic. Cops are human too, and if you swing him to your side he has 30 days to decide whether or not to actually let the ticket stand or to reduce it by himself to something else or throw it out altogether. This has gotten me out of trouble almost every time.

Step 2- (THIS IS IMPORTANT) Get quotes on insurance before you go to trial. When you get a quote, be sure not to put in any unresolved tickets, and be sure that the quote os good for at least 90 days. Insurance companies pay people to sit online and see if you've been shopping around for new insurance. If you have, then the often won't raise you rates at all even if you get one ticket.

Step 3- If he does let the ticket stand, plead not guilty. Show up early for court, and you can talk to the officer before the trial (typically no prosecuting attorney in traffic court). Ask him again to reduce the ticket. They almost always will reduce something for you to take a plea bargain. If he doesn't offer terms you like, tell it to the judge. And hope.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, now i'm starting to get worried. I have 8 points right now, if i get 12 i lose my liscence, and this ticket is 5 points. You do the math. So even if i get it reduced to a 4 point ticket, i'll still lose my liscence. So right now i need to either send the money in and hope the points dont transfer, or fight it to high hell and try to avoid getting a dick in the butt. My friend is interning as a lawyer right now, so he's trying to help me figure this out, but i have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[HAPPY]

Taken from the NJ MVC website:
Violations committed in other states
Even though you are a New Jersey driver, you can still acquire points and penalties for violations committed in other states. New Jersey is a member of two compacts that enforce this policy.

The Driver License Compact
Consists of 45 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin
Members in this compact exchange all violation information. Out-of-state moving violations are worth two points. For example, if you receive a speeding ticket in Florida, you will get two points on your New Jersey driving record for that violation

The Nonresident Violator Compact
Consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin
Assures nonresident motorists the same rights and privileges as residents
Nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out-of-state
Requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state
Does not apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations and violations of Hazmat transportation laws
:):):stafiseizI'M IN THE CLEAR!:stafiseiz:):)

:drunk:Heres to the moving violations to ensue!:drunk:

[/HAPPY]

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Dude, you will still get 2 points.

Go to court, get 0 points. Do the math.

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
Since when are points reduced just because you fight a ticket in court? Is this standard procedure? 90 in a 55? You're lucky they didnt take your car right then and there. 35 over the limit, and you have other moving violations?!?! Whether you get two points or four or none. Seems like you'll end up with another speeding ticket soon enough. So, SLOW! DOWN!

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, you will still get 2 points.

Go to court, get 0 points. Do the math.
Well, i'm thinking the most i can get it reduced to would be a 3 point ticket with increased fines. So basically i would be paying more money, waste my time going through the hassle of going to court out of state, and STILL i will get 2 points on my liscence. Its only a $190 ticket (yeah, i know, PA is CHEAP), so i'm probably just gonna pay the dam thing and get it over with.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since when are points reduced just because you fight a ticket in court? Is this standard procedure?

Yes, this is VERY standard procedure. If you ever get any ticket, no matter how guilty you really are, PLEAD NOT GUILTY. The fines will more than likely double, or even triple (especially in jersey), but they will reduce the points. Trust me, I've been through the court system more times than i can count on all my fingers and toes. Its just how it works.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Yes, this is VERY standard procedure. If you ever get any ticket, no matter how guilty you really are, PLEAD NOT GUILTY. The fines will more than likely double, or even triple (especially in jersey), but they will reduce the points. Trust me, I've been through the court system more times than i can count on all my fingers and toes. Its just how it works.
exactly, i spent a lot of time in court over the years... i have never walked out of a courtroom with more points though... if you show up it will be reduced to zero unless you are a complete retard.

i have even walked out with less fines than the ticket

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, i just thought i'd update. I shouldnt have to update this, but my asshole driving has gotten me pulled over another 3 times and earned me another 4 tickets since i last posted. Speeding (again), Following too closely to an emergency vehicle (long story), Obstruction of windshield for vision (for an air freshener, cop didnt want to give me a speeding ticket), and listening to music too loudly (LOL).

So I guess the question is, how much more is it gonna take for these idiots to finally take away my friggen liscence? Not even I think I deserve a liscence at this point. Somebody take this thing away before I do something really stupid.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
You wanna know something fucked up about air fresheners? They can search your vehicle for having an air freshener because it is considered "covering up" for another smell or something like that. Damn though man that sucks. It's almost like they have it out for you in a way. I'm not sure exactly how many pts. you need for your license to be taken away though sorry.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
My buddy Rob at the desk across from me says to ask if he can have your car?

Me, I think you just need to go roll it without a seatbelt on while flying around on a deserted airstrip. You're going to kill somebody.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy Rob at the desk across from me says to ask if he can have your car?

Me, I think you just need to go roll it without a seatbelt on while flying around on a deserted airstrip. You're going to kill somebody.
LOL, well i can tell you this. If i get any more tickets I'll def be selling at least one of my cars. So tell your buddy either a JDM 99 WRX, or a USDM 08 WRX may be up for sale shortly.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
With your record, I don't see how you can honestly keep your license once this fiasco is over. What's the deal, man?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts