Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright! I been doing some research on this and I can't seem to find some good solid information! Maybe one of you guys could help me out, Please!? I'm trying to do a backwards Frank motor apparently...

I own A 03RS which is the
Phase 2 EJ251 Open deck

I have a
Phase 1 EJ22E Open deck

My EJ251 is knocking and I would like to use the EJ22E Block . Seems simple enough! A straight Short Block swap...

Head gaskets
EJ22s
The 11044AA282 gasket < - Turbo (Which is 1.37mm thick)
The 11044AA542 gasket < - N/A (Which is 0.80mm thick)

I researched I need the HG that goes with the block.
IF I did that I would have to use the A542 N/A Gasket. Now with that wrote, The HG covers most of the ports On the EJ251 head!

So The Turbo A282 EJ22T Head Gasket should work correct!?!?
Also Should I use the EJ251 Head Bolts or do I use the EJ22E Head Bolts?
I've researched that they are the same thing, same part number. Correct!?!?

I also researched that the TDC of the pistons are higher then the deck, SO it could hit the heads. Hence why I put the A282 Gasket as a option.
Sorry If this is just like another thread, I've seen a few just not this exact setup.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn't realize EJ22E pistons cleared the deck. Not sure if that's true or not. What makes you say the gasket covers the ports? Only the OLD ej22e gaskets should do that. 90-95 I believe, which only had 3 coolant ports. 96-98 is correct, or the ej22t as you mentioned. You could also use phase 2 2.2 gaskets which are thinner (if the pistons dont clear the deck.)

This guy - http://www.rs25.com/forums/f24/t183081-dohc-ej22e-legacy-gt-limited.html used ej22e gaskets and as you can see they line up fine. The SOHC ports are the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive Attached A EJ22E and a EJ22T head gasket.
My EJ251 heads look like it would be more compatible with the EJ22T head gasket. But I hear that you should use the EJ22E, Why would you!?
Unless I have my facts wrong!
In the last photo it's left to right, EJ22E head and a EJ251 head.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I am assuming nobody has done this build before?

I mocked up some photos so you guys understand better.
I am going to use the EJ22T HG with my EJ251 heads! Also I put Red markings to show what I am going to remove!

Attachments

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
using thicker ej22t gaskets with ph2 heads on a ph1 ej22e block witll dramatically lower your compression. why not just use ph2 ej22 gaskets 99-01. The block (open) doesn't care where the ports are, the heads do. The phase 2 ej22 gaskets have ej25 ports with 2.2 bore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This Is going to be a supercharged set up after I'm done. Hence the selection.. Ill look into the EJ22 Phase 2 Gaskets though! I figured you HAD to use Phase 1....
For the record I'm merely doing this to do something different and learn off of it. I would like to get into tuning. So a cheap supercharged EJ would really get me into creating my own tune while making some sort of power but not really concerned on blowing it up. lol

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I have personally made and ran this same set-up a couple years back. I beat the crap out of it. Yes the CR is low, but that is mainly because the EJ25 heads have 10cc's more volume than EJ22 heads. I used the EJ22E HG, worked fine. Only later did someone point out that the EJ22T gasket was a better match and basically the same thickness, IIRC.

My plan was the same as yours, low compression frankenmotor with easy to replace parts and cheap to boot, add in some supercharged boost and viola, instant neck injury :)

~Josh~

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your input sir!
I been discouraging myself on this build. Is there any input you could give me? I heard something about changing the cam gears and the Cross coolant tube. Which I don't believe I need to do either one, the cams "should" be the same, same with the tube.
I figured a Pontiac GTP supercharger should fit under the hood, I dont mind cutting the support of the hood to fit. Reason for that supercharger, there is plenty here lol and I can do the bracketry!
I am some what impressed that you didn't have coolant issues being that majority of the ports are covered up!

*O yes! I forgot, Apperently I don't have to cut the EJ22T HG, due to the fact that the 2.5 HG has the same port sizes SO I don't think im going to cut it.

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I just used the EJ25 SOHC cam gears, they use the same 6/7 pick up points the EJ22 uses. As far as the coolant tube, I used the EJ22 one. One thing i did have to get was the dipstick and dipstick tube for the EJ25 heads, I tried bending the EJ22 one to make it fit but I said screw it and bought one on fleabay.

~Josh~

·
Registered
331 Posts
Your timing belt will be really tight with the thicker gaskets, maybe to the point of damage. You might be able to run ej22t timing belt also, but Im not sure.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
^What about the timing belt tensioner? That should prevent it from being to tight.

·
Registered
00RS Coupe, 00RSwaggin
454 Posts
Thank you so much for your input sir!
I been discouraging myself on this build. Is there any input you could give me? I heard something about changing the cam gears and the Cross coolant tube. Which I don't believe I need to do either one, the cams "should" be the same, same with the tube.
I figured a Pontiac GTP supercharger should fit under the hood, I dont mind cutting the support of the hood to fit. Reason for that supercharger, there is plenty here lol and I can do the bracketry!
I am some what impressed that you didn't have coolant issues being that majority of the ports are covered up!

*O yes! I forgot, Apperently I don't have to cut the EJ22T HG, due to the fact that the 2.5 HG has the same port sizes SO I don't think im going to cut it.
negative, unless center mounted with a custom intake mani the m90 won't fit under hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input!
So the 22T HG would be to much then...So couldn't I just use this then?
here

I seen people cut the hoods open, but I figured I could get a extra few inches with custom brackets and hood risers.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
5 Posts
Thanks for all the input!
So the 22T HG would be to much then...So couldn't I just use this then?
here

I seen people cut the hoods open, but I figured I could get a extra few inches with custom brackets and hood risers.
let me know how it goes, im working on one like this too. I been looking for a ej251 engine and here in Alaska people charge way too much for it but phase 1 ej22 are really cheap, I wanted to put my ej251 head onto a ej22 block. Cause my ej25 bock got chew up too much from #1 rod bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For sure man!
Matter a fact, I bought the wrong head gaskets....don't do that lol
I didn't notice I picked up Composite head gaskets. The ones that fail! lol
So, I had to reorder the right ones and now that I have them, I relized that I have a bad knock sensor and I need to get a timing belt tensor. So After all that i am back on track with it! lol

I picked up the 11044AA542 3-layer MLS Head gasket (The right one)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....1.0-9/1450062_299005183586309_607958377_n.jpg

Its a much better design! Then the outdated version!
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1794549_295662920587202_29184715_n.jpg

Soon enough I'll get to the swap. I live in Michigan so the winter has been to harsh to work outside at the moment!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts