Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
'97 Impreza L
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just want to start a thread to get some input, but also keep updated as I troubleshoot for anyone else who comes across these issues.

Car:
1997 Impreza 2.2L

Faults:
1. Misfires on all four cylinders (it's always a different cylinder combination each time I scan for codes)
2. P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

What I've found:
1. Spark plugs had a green-ish, oily substance on them (assumed it was a coolant/oil combo)
2. Car burned oil like crazy
3. The car vibrates very rapidly while driving (a hard vibration almost as if I'm driving over a slightly rough surface)
4. Extremely rough idle
5. Soot all over the back of the car which I'm assuming is because it's running rich

Repairs I've made:
1. New head gaskets with cleaned heads
2. New valve stem seals
3. New rear main and camshaft oil seals
4. New valve cover gaskets
5. New timing belt
6. New intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
7. Resealed oil pan
8. New fuel filter
9. New coil pack
10. Spark plug wires replaced in the recent past
11. New spark plugs
12. Exhaust is all new with somewhat new O2 sensors
13. All of the large vacuum hoses are new (not the small ones, but I did check all the connections on the small hoses and replaced one that was broken)
14. Cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve
15. New Mass Air Flow Sensor
16. New MAP sensor and solenoid valve
17. New knock sensor

There may be some other things, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. I'm going to continue to troubleshoot and update the thread, but please share your input on where I can look next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
493 Posts
Hmmmm, personally I'd drop in new injectors, but I have a bunch extra already. Might be cheaper/easier for you to test them. It definitely sounds like leaking injectors to me. If they're not the issue I'd try swapping in another ECU.

I think the p0106 is referencing the atmosphere pressure sensor on the passenger strut tower. I had a code for it in my 97 LGT when it wasn't connected to the correct source. Can't remember if it was the same exact code number, but my car still drove fine. Double check your vacuum lines against the diagram on the hood either way.

All I got for now, good luck.

·
Premium Member
'97 Impreza L
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, personally I'd drop in new injectors, but I have a bunch extra already. Might be cheaper/easier for you to test them. It definitely sounds like leaking injectors to me. If they're not the issue I'd try swapping in another ECU.

I think the p0106 is referencing the atmosphere pressure sensor on the passenger strut tower. I had a code for it in my 97 LGT when it wasn't connected to the correct source. Can't remember if it was the same exact code number, but my car still drove fine. Double check your vacuum lines against the diagram on the hood either way.

All I got for now, good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions! Likely I’ll be looking at the injectors next because I’m starting to run out of things to check.

Today I replaced the entire assembly on the passengers side strut tower which included the MAP sensor, solenoid valve and hoses. Still having the same issues.

I have to assume it’s something to do with the injectors. I’ve already checked the resistance of all four injectors and they’re all basically the same, but they could be plugged, or something. Just strange that the check engine light for misfires varies between all four cylinders, it’s not always the same ones each time I clear it, which makes me wonder if the issue would actually be at the injectors, or it it’s something else.

Does anyone have:

1. Other suggestions of what to check
2. Links to information (or your own knowledge) for checking injectors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts