Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000, Impreza 2.5RS, 95H
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just had a scare after buying a new car. I have always wanted a 2.5RS and finally got one. I have owned a 96 2.2 for years and that thing wont die. So I bought this.

My car overheated while traveling uphill to my house. I pulled over right away and luckily it was 8 degrees out so it cooled down quick. I didn't notice the temp gauge go past the roof thou. After inspecting the overheat I checked the gauge and it was at 3/4ths.

I have rented a radiator test kit from the auto store and tested the compression of my cooling system. The upper hose was leaking a small amount but I am getting steam coming from the radiator. Can not pinpoint even with water and soap. I replace the radiator cap with a new one from the dealer.

I then bought a block test kit and tested to see if there were any combustion gasses in my coolant. The fluid did not turn blue and everything seemed good.

I drained my oil and "boom", contaminated oil.

This is my first experience with mixed oil. I should have let the water come out first but it didn't seem like it was mixed when it first started to come out. Can oil get contaminated in other ways?

I performed a Crackle Test to check if there was water in my oil. Water sinks to the bottom and I did not stir the used oil around before performing these tests but I will this next week. The test with oil I collected from the oil filter came back negative.

The seller who I bought the car from runs a Subaru repair business and said after the timing belt broke he bought the car from the person and put a new head gasket, timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, cam seals, water pump, thermostat and valve cover gasket. I can see the head gasket and it looks new. The motor is very clean.

I have been driving the car now for three days and no overheating or issues. I even drove it to the mountain to go snowboarding and all was good. I can see a little steam coming from my radiator but I check it every time I drive it now until I get a new radiator.

There are three conclusions:

One, he did a bad job and did not resurface the head if needed or torque the head bolts down or replace them because they are stretch bolts or whatever else he could have done?

Two, he left the oil in the pan and did all these repairs and did not change out the oil, unlikely.

Three, my oil is contaminated with something else. It did seem to have gold flakes in it or something and the overheating could be from the leak in my radiator.

My plan is to drive it with this new oil in it and see if it get contaminated again. Also to flush my coolant system and replace my radiator, if that is what I determine is leaking.

Any comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Was the radiator full when it was overheating?

This is odd...honestly, if i saw this, id prolly stop driving it, and go through the engine myself with all new gaskets and have the heads decked/checked. Cause thats really odd. I know water vapor can form in the engine from a cold start, but i only had that issue with my modded STi...my RS has been my daily and ive never had this problem...

Is it actually water with coolant or some other chemical? Doesnt have a green tint that i can see...

·
Registered
2000, Impreza 2.5RS, 95H
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea no green tint. So far everything seems good after the oil change. I am just going to keep a close eye on my oil, coolant and engine to see if it happens again. If my oil get contaminated again I am defiantly going to tear her down and figure out the culprit. Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if the radiator was full when it overheated. Defiantly not full afterward. I am guessing it overheated because it was low from a leak.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
Gold flakes=Coolant conditioner/stop leak material temporary stop HG leak. Looks like you have coolant leaked into oil. Other test you have done is HC gas, oil leak into coolant. It's odd after you changed oil, everything is good. Possible mechanic forgot to change the OLD oil.

·
Registered
2000, Impreza 2.5RS, 95H
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what I am thinking and hoping for. That the mechanic forgot to change the old oil. I feel this is a very rookie move thou. He was a Subaru mechanic and was only fixing this car to sell it. Maybe changing the oil was just not something that was on his mind since there was not passion for the repair.

That makes sense that there was stop leak in the coolant. Good to know that is where the flakes are coming from. I cant wait till it warms up so I can flush out my coolant system. I guess the only thing to do now is wait and see if she shows signs of a blown HG.

Thanks for the comments and any insight helps. Im sure you all know how I feel when I say I cant get this off my mind. I just want to make this new car as reliable and clean as possible. I would much rather spend the $1000 on a new suspension setup rather than a HG which should have already been repaired when I bought that car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts