Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5RS, Blue with gold rims
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so ill start with,1998 legacy gt limited. ej25d. 2 weeks ago i replaced head gaskets, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, all associated pulleys and gaskets. Then drove it for 4 days and it ran great then out of no where it over heated. So wtf. Its going through coolant like crazy. After the first time it over heated now every time i start the car and go to drive it over heats. Ok so i tried to put a vacuum on the coolant system and it would not allow any vacuum. I put pressure into the coolant system and it did leak out very slowly.

So sunday i pull the engine, cylinder 4 was full of coolant. Head gaskets look fine. They were deff sealing you can see from the ring where the gasket was pressed against. So uh. WTF!? could the intake be cracked and coolant dumping in and onto cylinder 4?

Someone please help!

Oh i did test the thermostat and it worked fine!

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
wouldn't be a bad idea. the 25D is notorious for this type of issue. i've had mine apart on 6 different occasions for this type of nonsense. half of mine were my own fuck ups in not reading the entire FSM procedure, 1 was laziness in not making sure the heads and block were true, and one was for a failed napa water pump.

make sure the water pump is alive. it can cause overheating issues. popped a set.
make sure both side of the engine (block and heads) are true. popped two sets.
make sure you do ALL the head torquing tightening steps in the FSM. popped a set.

i've now had my last rebuild going strong for something like 25K or better..if you do it right, the 25D can last a while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha ok well the water pump is brand new. No noise from it or shaft play. And i can see it spinning when i turn the pulley. So guess the next step is to have the block surfaced then i should be set. Do i just bring the whole block down? Or am i supposed to take it apart? lol

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
never heard of anyone using them...shouldn't be too expensive from advance/autozone.

as far as i know, you can just take the short block to em. might wanna take the heads back with just in case they want to match them.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
No problem with the water pump, radiator or thermostat could cause your cylinders to fill with coolant. Only a crack in the head/block or a faulty headgasket can cause that. Or putting a coolant hose onto your intake. lol.

It's probably a cracked block from being overheated before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And if it was a crack, why did it run good for 4 days? couple hundred miles, then out of no where start to leak? If it was a crack it would have shown itself as soon as the block heated up. am i right?

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
And if it was a crack, why did it run good for 4 days? couple hundred miles, then out of no where start to leak? If it was a crack it would have shown itself as soon as the block heated up. am i right?
Nope. There are a million reasons why it could start leaking. The crack could have been plugged up with stuff and it worked itself loose, who knew.

What's more likely, that the crack opened up or that water teleported itself into your cylinder?

Throw in a bottle of irontite and carry on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wth is irontite? and is there no way to check the block for cracks?

Napa said that "the only way to surface that style block is for the case to be split. Ur gonna change ur deck height as well. unless the block is cracked or theres a knick out of the face of it where the head seals there shouldnt be any problems with it."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.