Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flame: only from time to time.. i dive all day with ac on and its fine then suddenly starts to warm up... any suggestions i am leaning to the water pump... or radiator.. bc i know the radiators old. 154000+ miles on it. anyone know a ballpark range on a water pump replacement. and installation bc i am pretty sure you have to take off the timing belt cover and possibly the belt... thanks all. going out to take a test drive..

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
How old is the thermostat?
Who changed it last?
Might there be air stuck in the system somewhere?

Answer these and you'll narrow the search down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not old enough to be bad.. i changed it very easy and air probably i dont know how youd gget it all out. plus radiators old..

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You can purge the air out by taking off the rad cap (cold please) and starting it up and letting it warm up with the cap off. Watch the level rise and fall and look for bubbles. Once it's nice and warm, or no more bubbles, close the cap and you should be done.

·
Registered
613 Posts
pressure test the cap. it will boil over and then resuck the overflow bottle and act normal. stick a long tube on the overflow bottle overflow outlet and poke it out the hood thru the vents along the windshield. that way if you do evac the radiator into the overflow bottle, you'll know. could be a head gasket but i bet it's the cap. don't touch anything else to the thermostat or the pump till you test/get tested the cap.:) scoob on

·
Registered
98 RS (Busted), 04 350z
3 Posts
I believe you've got a MY98, right? Do you notice that the car tends to overheat when you drive it around town with the thermostat on cold and the fan off? Obviously, I think the first thing to check is your radiator cap since that's cheap and easy, but it sounds like your head gaskets are on their way out. Do this: check your coolant level in the overflow tank. Start the car up and go for a quick ride putting the engine under decent load (run it to 5500 in a couple gears) then park it and take a look. The car shouldn't have even had time to warm up to normal operating temp, so if you see any coolant in the overflow tank it's (unless someone wants to second guess me :) ) going to be forced out of the radiator by exhaust leaking into the coolant from a blown headgasket. 98s tend to have this problem and you can drive around just fine for quite a while before it blows enough coolant into the overflow tank to make the cooling system ineffective enough to start to overheat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts