Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better for the car when going over a jump that unloads all 4 corners (all 4 wheels off the ground, or almost off the ground)?

Should you continue mashing the throttle like you were leading up to the jump?

Should you get off the throttle completely and hover your foot between the brake and throttle?

Should you ease off a little bit but not completely?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, while there is a rev limiter, I still think it'd be bad to keep it mashed. I would say either lift a bit or completely, but jump back on it just before you're about to hit the ground. I think the pulling force will keep the car more straight when you land.

·
Registered
174 Posts
keep it mashed

I can't remember what mag... i think it wa rallyXS, Richard Burns was discussing techniques and jumping came up. Bottom line was, keep it mashed. :D

I used to race off road R/C cars and the same applies to dirt bikes. If you want the nose to come down, dip the brakes. Want to keep it level? Keep it mashed. :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
in all honesty, RB is talking about alot bigger jumps than any of our cars can take. he's also talking about running against the clock. i would say that if you're in a race car and/or racing, keep on it. other wise, i would say lift some. i'm trying to think of the big jumps i've done. i can't remember what i did in the air with my feet. i'm guessing 1/2 throttle kind of thing, though i can't be sure. i know i always hit them at full throttle, often was suprised by the sudden lack of ground contact, and then landed. well, i guess i have no idea and my point is what RB says to do may not be the best in a street car, where longevity is more important than a 10th of a second.

·
Registered
174 Posts
weeeeee! *CRASH*

well, i guess i have no idea and my point is what RB says to do may not be the best in a street car, where longevity is more important than a 10th of a second.
yes... of course this is all hypothetical. Anyone in their right mind who is jumping their RS far and high enough to even worry about the throttle without DMS and some seam welding, will not be driving their RS after they land. :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking chirping all 4 wheels while the body lifts and the fronts catch air.

:)

I usually do the 1/2 throttle. Otherwise the wheels spin and chirp upon landing and I get torque steer (skid?)

:stupid:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Follow the Duke boys, they are the jump kings.

Remember the audio on a jump?

When the car lifted off, the motor would rev and bump off the rev limiter. Well, that's what it sounded like, actually it was just a loop of the motor revving, because the 426 Hemi didn't have any silly rev limiter.

Anyways, foot in it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
rubber side down!

BTW: if you mash the throttle and there's no "grap on the tired" then where does the power transfer to? 50/50? 90/10?
"Power goes from the wheels that slip, to the wheels that grip."
But if none of the wheels have grip then what???

H

·
0 Posts
blaster88 said:
Follow the Duke boys, they are the jump kings.

Remember the audio on a jump?

When the car lifted off, the motor would rev and bump off the rev limiter. Well, that's what it sounded like, actually it was just a loop of the motor revving, because the 426 Hemi didn't have any silly rev limiter.

Anyways, foot in it.

And if you know your "Dukes" trivia, you'd know that the General had a 440 in it, not the 426. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts