Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
turbocharged mayhem
MBP 03 wrx wagon
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about halfway through my second autoxing season. The good news is my driving is quite a bit better than last year. :sunny: So I dont suck quite as much.

Here is what the
Course was.
Its a 4/10ths of a mile go kart track. Lots of fun.

I run in stx. There were a few cars in the class yesterday, a bmw (older m3?), a vw corrado vr6, and me. I drive a 99l wagon. There was another car but i dont remember it. I thought the m3 was going to put a whooping on me. Turns out it was the vr6 that beat me by about 2 seconds. I ran a 60.216, he ran a 58.xx. On my best run my car temporarily lost power. :letitout: It lost power at like 4k rpm, i let off the gas and got back on it and it was fine. Might have been able to get a real low 60.1 or 60.0.

I originally disregarded the vr6 as competition as he was on 205 bfgoodrich g force sports. Im on 205 aziens.

His mods can be found here, http://nystreetscene.com/viewtopic.php?t=1038&highlight= He did get that lsd. He also told me that he built the car for the class.

Suspension wise im on gr2's with stock springs, 17mm rear sway bar, 24mm front sway bar, rear strut bar, steering rack bushings, poly front control arm rear bushings. Not a very competitive setup for stx, but i can still try. :)

My car has 109hp and 123ft lbs of torque at the wheel. The vr6 has 190hp and 180ft lbs of torque stock at the crank and weighs in at about 2700lbs according to a review i read.

Cliff note: Was i out driven or out muscled?

thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe - BRP
245 Posts
^ what he said, power has very little to do with it unless you are at the top of your game.... even then.. not so much; I'm running my STS car against national level STU cars (and drivers) successfully.

I've had 3 years STU competition in a fully prep'd STi and a couple years STS comp in my 2.5rs. honestly, imho, it's WAY easier to be fast(er) in a slower (and lighter) car. :)

·
turbocharged mayhem
MBP 03 wrx wagon
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have beat a few wrx's on traditional autox courses. The go kart course was much more open, long stretches. I know I could drive alot better(room for improvement) but my laps didnt feel terrible. Since it was a set course the local guys there know the apexes. I listened to them and knew where to hit them. I thought i did a decent job of hitting my apexes.

How hard is it to shave off 2 seconds on a course? I know how fast i can drive and i seem to be about 1.5-2 seconds out of first. This put me in second the last 2 autoxs. Thats not a very competitive gap as the other cars were back even further. How do i go about shaving off that kind of time? A video of me driving a course would probably help right now.

Note to self make that damn video camera mount before the next autox. :rolleyes:

I did go to a regular autox that the last half of the course was up hill. :curse: The finish stretch was pretty damn long. A guy in sm with a camaro said that he had to shift into second 60mph+. I was only crossing the line at about 45mph. Thats a pretty big difference, the mph difference seems pretty big. Does that translate into alot of saved time? Would horsepower have more to do in that situation?

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
People tell me that the only way to shave that kind of time off when you're already running decent is looking (and thinking) farther ahead on the course and preparing for future positions and moves. Saying that is much easier than doing it, but I've been told to look 5-10 seconds ahead. I'm not sure I can see that far... ...but I try to at least think that far ahead, with mixed success. One little slip-up seems to force my focus back to the immediate again. Hope that helps, at least a little.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about 5-10 seconds, but you at least want to have your eyes up in to the next corner. It helps you put the car where it needs to be for that corner, and maintain the best line. Focusing on the apex of the corner you're in currently tends to cause a poor line into the next one.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The Corrado VR6 was 175hp stock, not 190. At any rate, you were probably both out-muscled and outdriven; that engine has a lot of down-low power.

derekthecynic said:
his car is chipped. End of story.
Chipping frees up roughly 5hp in that car. It hardly made the difference.

·
Banned
2001 Subaru 2.5 RS Coupe
478 Posts
Why the hell are you running in STX? Why not STS? You're not going to be very competitive with the setup you have now in STX. Yeah maybe you will in your region, but if you were to go to nationals, you would get your ass stomped in that little car. Sorry, but it's true. Not because it's underpowered, but because you just dont have the right mods to be runing in that class.

For instance, why are you running only a 205 size tire? In STX you can run a tire as wide as 245. In STS you can run a tire as wide as 225. So why the 205.

I see now. You have that high flow cat. That's why you're in that class.

Honestly, run a stock cat for auto-x, and put yourself in STS. You weren't out driven or out muscled, you were simply out classed.

·
Registered
00' BRP GM6
416 Posts
^ this man speaks the truth. A n/a subaru rarely has any business in STX. I ran it last year b/c of 4pots and a hi-flow cat, and got my ass handed to me every race...I think I won one race last year. Since going to STS this year, I have only been beaten once, and that was a national driver.

If you are going to become serious, you need some springs/struts or some coilovers. The hi-flo cat isn't doing enough to warrant where you are. If you ever go to a region with a decently prepp'd and driven WRX, you won't stand a chance. The gap will be more like 4-5 seconds on that long of a course. I was getting beat by 2-3 seconds on a 35-40 sec course regulary by Mike W. ( Dr. Biggly ) and Steven K ( Crash477 ) but I learned a hell of a lot from these guys in the process.

If you just doing it for fun and dont really care about winning championships, then stay where you are and practice on being smooth and clean with your inputs. Being smooth will make up for alot more than more HP will.

·
turbocharged mayhem
MBP 03 wrx wagon
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no plans of going to nationals. Im having fun and trying to be semi competitive on a local level. Id still like to be a good driver.

I also did a 2.5rs brake swap up front which also puts me in STX.

As for my strange car setup, money or the lack of it. :lol:

The local region is very small. We probably get a max of 40 drivers if so many. I dont think we had any STS drivers for the last few autox's. STX was the biggest class last time with 4 people in it. A big step up from last year of the class only having me in it.

Taking notes for next time:
1. Think and look ahead more.
2. Be smooth.

Thanks guys. :sunny:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts