Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So over the last weekend, I was trying to replace my rear sway bar mounts and when I went to take the mount off on the passenger side, the weld nut holding the sway bar mount bolt to the subframe broke. Now the bolt spins freely and I can't get to the nut to fix it.

I've searched and it looks like the options I have are...

1) Cut a hole in the subframe and get a wrench in there
2) Weld the mount directly to the subframe and forget upgrading the mounts
3) Cut a hole in the trunk directly above the bolt and get a socket in there

Are there any other options? I'm pretty sure no matter how I tackle this, it's going to be a PITA. There's so much clutter on the passenger side rear. Also, how dangerous is this to drive around on? The mount is surprisingly stable since the other bolt on the mount is on there tight.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,263 Posts
I had this happen to the front right drivers seat bolt... gonna have Mach V cut it out and re-weld in a new one.

·
Registered
2000, 2.5rs, white
28 Posts
I actually just cut a flap from the trunk and put a new bolt and nut on. Sucks to cut the trunk but this is a rallycross car so I didn't care too much

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I'd go with new bolt and nut too. Sure, it'll end up being a 2 person job to get it off, but at least you won't have to worry about that nut breaking free in the future again.

·
Registered
2000, 2.5rs, white
28 Posts
I'd go with new bolt and nut too. Sure, it'll end up being a 2 person job to get it off, but at least you won't have to worry about that nut breaking free in the future again.
yep, had my gf help me out from the bottom, while i worked from the top, team work is the dream work

·
Registered
99 RS STM
83 Posts
Reviving old thread!

I had this happen to me when replacing some rusted lines in the Evap system. I ended up cutting the bolt head off...

I am planning on making a hole through the trunk floor to reach the nut, anyone do this before? How do I make sure I'm making the hole in the right place?

·
Registered
99 RS STM
83 Posts
I'm thinking of using a punch, put it through the bolt hole and make a dent on the under side of the trunk floor to mark where to cut.

Any suggestions on how to patch the hole?

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
I'm thinking of using a punch, put it through the bolt hole and make a dent on the under side of the trunk floor to mark where to cut.

Any suggestions on how to patch the hole?
That's how you do it. Cut a flap instead of a hole then bend it back in place and weld it up.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza (Awaiting Swap)
764 Posts
Bringing this back up again, happened on my RSTi. Im going to cut a hole through the trunk and leave the hole open. Should I weld a new nut in, or can I get away with grinding everything down and use a nut with washers? Would anyone trust washers? Im a little sketched out about welding as I deleted my EVAP so lots of open gas fumes right there.

·
Registered
99 RS STM
83 Posts
I ended up going with a new nut and bolt, I didn't use any washers...You could use lock washer if you're worried about it coming loose. I believe I sealed the edges with silicone instead of welding (I don't have access to a welder) since that's what I had laying around

1 - 13 of 13 Posts