Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm still a newbie in the Subaru world, so cut me some slack if you don't like the looks of this spruced-up 2003 Yellow Subaru Impreza. I spotted this thing on CraigsList and find myself going back to the pictures over and over.

I've never imagined myself driving a yellow sports car, but I do think that the color scheme on this car looks great. So does the 2-tone black/yellow leather interior.

Opinions? The listing is for $12,880.

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Yellow Manual Stock New Engine Low Miles

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$12880 for a 03 WRX?!!!!!!!!!!!! No.
Since I'm in "Learning Mode", what do you think a fair price for this car is?

Looks like it has a new paint job, a new leather (or faux leather?) interior, and a "new" 2.0L turbo engine with a 3-month, 3K mile warranty.

·
Registered
2002, Impreza 2.5RS, PSM
422 Posts
For a Bugeye Impreza WRX (02-03 model year) I wouldnt pay more than $9,000, and that would be for one in great condition with an extremely good service history (I really cant say what you should pay since that depends on the state you live in, as well as what the local market for the car is like). I would suggest that you look around on that "other" (nasioc.com) Subaru website if you looking to purchase a newer body style Subaru.

Just keep in mind that they usually arent as cool as we are when it comes to getting your questions answered directly. :burnout:

The blaze yellow WRX is **kind of** rare as it was the only model year that came in that color, I personally would pass on that one, as I dont think those terrible seats are stock (which usually means that other half assed modifications may have been made to the car at some point.) If your thinking about getting this one to replace the RS you purchased earlier, just remember that the WRX does require better care and maintenance.

·
Registered
2002, Impreza 2.5RS, PSM
422 Posts
"new" 2.0L turbo engine with a 3-month, 3K mile warranty.
Run! I personally wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole ( A big sign that most likely the car was at one point modified, and or not taken care of in the past) again just my .02 cents, I really cant say much without a closer look at the service history.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Im gonna agree with Ace. On everything. lol.

I wouldnt even look at it again.. Granted on the off chance nothing is actually wrong with it, but thats alot more money than id be willing to drop on that one...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little background.

I just happened to see this listing when I was browsing CL to find an older Impreza for my 3 kids to share. I'm not interested in purchasing anything for myself right now (just started a 3-year lease on another car). But when the lease is up, it might be fun to try out an older but spruced up (2003-2005-ish) Subaru Impreza RS or WRX.

I'm not looking for anything collectible; just something fun to drive (5- or 6-speed manual) and reliable.

This one caught my eye because it's so shiny and polished (looks like a brand new paint job to me), and it has just the right amount of bling. The upgraded interior didn't look like total crap to me either. If it's leather or faux leather rather than some old cloth seats from 2003, fine by me. This is probably the nicest looking 2003 Subaru I've seen on CL (in terms of the paint job and the interior); most of the ones I've been looking at online are pretty worn. I would prefer a different color (maybe blue) or even a non-standard color (like a darker green); yellow would certainly not be my first choice.

However, if a new engine is a red flag (and apparently it is) then I guess I'll keep my eyes open for something with an original engine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...(I really cant say what you should pay since that depends on the state you live in, as well as what the local market for the car is like)...
I live in Seattle, which means that any used Subaru out there, even a rusted hulk, will command a premium. The only parts of the country like this are the Denver and Boulder Colorado areas.

People love their Subies out here, and nice ones seem to get snatched up quickly. Initial asking prices are also correspondingly higher.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy
12 Posts
I live in Seattle, which means that any used Subaru out there, even a rusted hulk, will command a premium. The only parts of the country like this are the Denver and Boulder Colorado areas.

People love their Subies out here, and nice ones seem to get snatched up quickly.
Initial asking prices are also correspondingly higher.
Very true...

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,935 Posts
Blaze yellow was a factory color option for 02-03 bugeyes. This doesn't look like blaze yellow though but the jambs are painted so if it was repainted they did a thorough job. Check the color code on the vin plate, it should read 797 if it indeed was a yellow car. The seats are definitely custom job and I think they detract from the value. If the motor was rebuilt then I guess that's a plus if it was done by a certified mechanic at the dealer, especially given the warranty but that also negatively affects value. All those factors considered I think offering them 8500 isn't crazy.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blaze yellow was a factory color option for 02-03 bugeyes. This doesn't look like blaze yellow though but the jambs are painted so if it was repainted they did a thorough job. Check the color code on the vin plate, it should read 797 if it indeed was a yellow car. The seats are definitely custom job and I think they detract from the value. If the motor was rebuilt then I guess that's a plus if it was done by a certified mechanic at the dealer, especially given the warranty but that also negatively affects value. All those factors considered I think offering them 8500 isn't crazy.
OK. Great feedback. I'm sure I can figure out some "rules of thumb" re-reading your post a few times.

As I noted, I'm not in the market for a car right now, but when I'm done w/ my lease in 3 years, it might be fun to go "Old School" and find a 2004 or 2005 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 or maybe a WRX.

I suppose another option would be to find a car in need of a little TLC and then commission someone (or a local shop somewhere) to do the work (respray, leather interior, upgraded sound system, etc). But the goal would be to get something fun and driveable and reliable, not necessarily collectible.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
subaru impreza 2.5rs AWD
Your kids will love that..
Yeah, I saw this, but they already have an Impreza (although I settled on a much more sedate EJ22 2.2L engine on an "L" sedan, not the RS).

This wish-list car would be for me. No giant ass spoilers, no gold wheels, no 3" tailpipes.

Something like this 2004 2.5RS with a leather interior and a solid engine (e.g. no looming head gasket problems) would work well for me:

·
Registered
BRP '01 2.5RS 4EAT coupe
113 Posts
That and the entire northeast. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Subie around here. The grocery store parking lot regularly looks like a meetup group. The last time I went shopping with my mom she managed to park her Outback right next to another identical Outback. I mean, I've heard of people deliberately parking their Sube next to other Subes, out of some sort of solidarity thing, but that was completely unintentional.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure you've heard of the dreaded "Subaru Standoff". It happens when 2 or more Subaru's appear at a 4-way stop.

Subaru drivers are, as a rule, super friendly, especially when the car across the intersection is another Subaru. The problem is: the drivers in both cars keep politely waving for the *other* guy to go, and you can be sitting there for hours.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy
12 Posts
Yeah, I saw this, but they already have an Impreza (although I settled on a much more sedate EJ22 2.2L engine on an "L" sedan, not the RS).

This wish-list car would be for me. No giant ass spoilers, no gold wheels, no 3" tailpipes.

Something like this 2004 2.5RS with a leather interior and a solid engine (e.g. no looming head gasket problems) would work well for me:

The only thing I feel about those cars other then wrx and sti is that they probably dont hold much value after they sell you it.
I imagine that rs you pictured for $6000?

·
Registered
2002, Impreza 2.5RS, PSM
422 Posts
The seats are definitely custom job and I think they detract from the value.
Later model WRX's came with stock leather interiors which look 1000 times nicer than that. you could even swap the seats into your current impreza if you really wanted to, thats why these cars are awesome!

·
Registered
BRP '01 2.5RS 4EAT coupe
113 Posts
I'm sure you've heard of the dreaded "Subaru Standoff". It happens when 2 or more Subaru's appear at a 4-way stop.

Subaru drivers are, as a rule, super friendly, especially when the car across the intersection is another Subaru. The problem is: the drivers in both cars keep politely waving for the *other* guy to go, and you can be sitting there for hours.
Nope. That would be a northwest phenomenon. People here are ornery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts