Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week I changed my transmission from an OBS 5 speed to a 2.5 RS 5 speed and rear diff. Things seemed to be going smoothly but after changing the trans and starting the car and putting it in gear I noticed that the front right wheel isn't getting power. It will spin slightly when I put it in gear, but if I put my hand on it it will stop completely and I can even spin it in the opposite direction. I didn't test this on the old transmission so I'm not sure if it's transmission related or something else.

I also have an ABS light on. It is code 23 which is suppose to be a sensor malfunction on the FRONT LEFT wheel (I would also like how to fix this if anyone can chime in). So my question is, being on the opposite side of the car, is there any way this could be related? What can I do to diagnose this. Please help I want to take care of this before I start driving the car but I can't have it in the garage forever!

Thanks.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Could be your axle, if the inner shaft has jumped or dislocated out of the outer joint on the axle, the axle would spin but the hub would not. Easy way to check is to put it up on jacks, put the car in gear and spin the offending wheel. If it turns while in gear and the axle does not, then you know the axle is the culprit.

As for the ABS system, I would check the pickup ring and maybe clean it with fine sand paper, make sure its getting a good connection.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
See, the weird thing is (and I will check again tomorrow to make sure), is that if I turn the wheel it will still slightly turn the other wheels and vice versa. But when in gear, although the wheels will all turn, if I just put my hand on the front right it will completely stop. I'm pretty sure the axle stops too but I have to check to make sure. If the axle does stop, does that mean it's the front diff?

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
If turning that wheel rotates the other wheels you are connected. Some wheels will rotate easier than others. I've done your test with all wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
09 Forester
656 Posts
dont we have open differentials? so if the engine is stopped, in nuetral, and you spin 1 wheel, the opposing wheel should spin the opposite way...only when you spin say the 2 front wheels in the same direction at the same time, the rear wheels will spin...ive had my car on a lift and in gear wheels turning and can stop 1 wheel while the other keeps going...isnt that normal?

·
Registered
01 RS
170 Posts
See, the weird thing is (and I will check again tomorrow to make sure), is that if I turn the wheel it will still slightly turn the other wheels and vice versa. But when in gear, although the wheels will all turn, if I just put my hand on the front right it will completely stop. I'm pretty sure the axle stops too but I have to check to make sure. If the axle does stop, does that mean it's the front diff?
I'm pretty sure (99%) the front diff is an open diff. So it seems perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, upon further research it appears to be normal, so false alarm there.

However, I still have the ABS light on. I cleaned the sensors and it's still there. I tried clearing the code using the pin method but I don't know how to tell if I've successfully cleared it and it's just coming back because the problem still hasn't been fixed or if it's because I didn't clear it right.

Also, When I drove the car, seems to be shifting so much better than the previous trans, however, when I push the gas I'm getting a whirring sound. When I let go of the gas it immediately stops and if I'm coasting there is no noise. What could be the source of this noise? Where should I start looking? Could it be related to the ABS. Thanks again guys.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
May be an axle issue on the side that isn't getting power to the wheel. Check to see if the axle is broken inside the boot or anything.
reading the thread would help ya there buddy, we've established (correctly, because I've done this to many cars checking wheel bearings) that an open diff car will allow one wheel to spin or stop, so long as the other one is able to spin (it just sends the power to the other wheel). It's perfectly normal, but notice it doesn't do that (as much) on the rear, with the LSD. You also wont be able to stop the RF wheel if the left front was stopped.

That being said, could you describe the whirring sound? Could be a bearing going, or it could be an exhaust leak.

the ABS light could be many things, have you tried swapping sensors to see if it's the sensor itself being bad?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.