Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, long story short... I, in my infinite wisdom, went to open my trunk today with the key. For those of you who dont live in western ma, its about 10 degrees out. I should have gotten the clue when the driver door lock mechanism didnt wanna let go of my key, and kept locking when I turned to take the key out..

So Im not sure if the latch mechanism broke or what, but the trunk no longer closes. And in my neighborhood, thats not a good thing at all. By any chance might someone have a picture of their latching mechanism I can compare to? Ill also be going outside and getting a picture of mine, as I never actually looked at it before I dont know if something looks wrong or not :wtf:

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Any description on how it doesn't close? Can you completely close your trunk, but it doesn't latch or does it not fully close at all?

If it doesn't fully close, then the latch on the trunk might be in the close position, even though the trunk is open. Although, simply putting the key in and turning it will put it back into the open position. I'm guess you might have tried that.

If the bar from the lock to the latch fell off, then turning the key won't put it back into the open position.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you check in your 1st picture you can see the latch is like a c-shaped hook. when it closes, its supposed to lock into place around the bracket on bottom (pic 2) but mine wasnt locking into place it would just click closed and open. I took a screwdriver and used that to try and get it to latch, and after some testing and fidgeting I got it to close. I have not yet tried opening it again.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Maybe it just froze up a little or something. Try putting some white lithium grease on it and move it around to work the grease in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts