Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated

I have a 2000 2.5RS. Only mod on it that i know of is a throttle body spacer.

Symptoms:
I start the engine and it will run fine for the first few seconds when its running on the basic map.

Then 20 seconds or so into idle the car starts taking readings from sensors, and car usually just dies right away.

I can hold the throttle down and the car will stay running but not very well. When i stab the throttle the car will bog real bad and then RPM's will jump.

If i try to drive the car as soon as i get to about 2500 rpm's with the cluth out the car will start to rev itself and buck real bad.

Codes:
I have 2 CELS

1) P0107 - MAP sensor low input
2) P1111 - Atmospheric pressure sensor out of range.

I have replaced both sensors and nothing changes.

Already tried:
Replacing sensors
Checking for vacuum leaks (shows i have lots of vacuum at idle, about 20 in Hg)
Replaced Fuel filter
Replaced PCV valve
Checked for voltage at sensors and am getting voltage.

Possible causes:
No continuity from sensors to ECM (going to check this weekend)
Bad O2 sensors???

Has anyone had this problem before, any advice?

How would i go about checking to see if the O2 sensor is still good?

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
to check the front o2, unplug it and start the car. Your car should run fine, just in safe mode.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah im going to try unplugging it and see if it runs, if so i will replace it.

Ive already spent money on
a MAP sensor
A BARO sensor
and a new ECM

i dont wnat to spend more to not fix the problem

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
I bet you have some sort of leak where you have unmetered air coming into the engine. Maybe due to the TBS

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not sure, I bought the car with it on.

I was going to take it off, but I think the bolts are going to be too long to install it without the TBS.

I dont know why some air coming in threw the TBS would matter if the car is map based...

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Wow, check all of the small engine grounds too. Really sounds map-ish even though you've replaced it.. hmmm..... Could the TB spacer be installed correctly? Have you tried taking it off?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Well??? Have you taken the spacer off yet?? (tapping feet impatiently...) lol

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
Im not sure, I bought the car with it on.

I was going to take it off, but I think the bolts are going to be too long to install it without the TBS.

I dont know why some air coming in threw the TBS would matter if the car is map based...
Pressure drop between the engine and the sensor.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I bet you have some sort of leak where you have unmetered air coming into the engine. Maybe due to the TBS
Oops, I didn't read this, but totally agree. The O2 sensors wouldn't cause it to act as crazy as you describe.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok ill try taking off the TBS tomorrow.

I will have to reuse the one of the old gaskets tho becuase i live in tucson and there is no where to get any parts for a subaru.

Does anyone have the instructions on how to check the MAP resistance? I cant find it in my repair manual.

The car is has tons of small and large engine grounds that the last owner added so i dont think its a grounding problem but ill check.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Codes:
I have 2 CELS

1) P0107 - MAP sensor low input
2) P1111 - Atmospheric pressure sensor out of range.

I have replaced both sensors and nothing changes.
there is your problem! if you replaced them and the codes are still there i'd say the ecu isnt seeing a map sensor input and if the baro pressure sensor is out of range that too will really eff with the way your car runs

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What i was going to do, was connect a wire to my battery and then touch it to the signal wire and see if i get any voltage at the pin on the ecu connector.

Will this work? There is no way that my multimeter will reach from the engine bay to my ecu

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
check the voltage at the map sensor and compare it to the voltage you get at the ecu, you could have a short. a wire may have been stretched, corroded, melted etc

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the last owner failed miserably at installing a PP6 EM.

i fixed all the damage he did at the ECU by re-matching color wires and soldering them back together.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Well the last owner failed miserably at installing a PP6 EM.

i fixed all the damage he did at the ECU by re-matching color wires and soldering them back together.

Uh- oh.. maybe you've found the problem. Double check your wires, of course he could have fried something in the ecu when trying to install the pp6.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts