Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a 99rs with a Cobb MAF intake borla headers and a tanabe racing maedallion exhuast. This set up sounds very nice and has got me nice gains in the low and mid rpms. I'm about to part out these bits and swap for a ej207 but a quick question would be if I were to stay NA and dump the (roughly 10K) money into a build, what would be a good reliable way to make enough HP to keep up with or maybe scoot in front of a Turbo GD but keeping in mind that it will be a daily driver. And also is this impossible to do living in CA with the OBD II fun stuff.

Thanks

And no I won't get a new car :p to much love for the Subacoupe

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
well 10K definitely give u tons to play with...

i would say hella aggressive cams, high compression pistons, bored and stroked to gain some displacement(can this be done and gain with ej251 block??)....every bolt on under the sun.....and some different gearing in the tranny....that should put u ahead of a STOCK ej205.....EM and good tune on race gas......as well

but put that 10K into a turbo build and good lord u will run circles around a decently modded sti.....

N/A is neat and all..but dropping 10K into an N/A build is just senseless.....

orrr maybe....NITROUSSS...do it.....10K nitrous setup wooot!

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA. yeah I could just take a cummins 8.0 turbo disiel and shove it in there then run nitrous into that! NICE BLACK SMOKE from the dual side exit exhuast! and ha I crack up everytime i see your avatar!

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
well 10K definitely give u tons to play with...

i would say hella aggressive cams, high compression pistons, bored and stroked to gain some displacement(can this be done and gain with ej251 block??)....every bolt on under the sun.....and some different gearing in the tranny....that should put u ahead of a STOCK ej205.....EM and good tune on race gas......as well

but put that 10K into a turbo build and good lord u will run circles around a decently modded sti.....

N/A is neat and all..but dropping 10K into an N/A build is just senseless.....

orrr maybe....NITROUSSS...do it.....10K nitrous setup wooot!
so basically, swap it to get what you want.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Subaru's are not known for their N/A power for a reason... though with 10k, you could swap in a F22 from an S2k. Figure $5000 for the drivetrain, and you still have half your budget for all the fabricating to swap it in.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
so basically, swap it to get what you want.

noooo...you know how i feel about swaps....

IMO you can get so much bang for your buck with a engine build, standalone and turbo setup......its more work but its cheaper......

why replace everything when there's only two weak links in the ej251 (the internals and the engine management).....

1000$ will build your engine nicely....and 1800$ will get u a brand new hydra.....piecing together the turbo kit itself and some supporting mods(injectors etc) is another 500-2000 (depending on what u go with, 2000$ being for a 20G or something along those lines)....so for 5000$ you are putting down WAY more power than you would with anything u swap in for 5000$ (with the exception of some tired 10 year old jdm engine that you put a big turbo on)

lol im so anti full swap lately :)

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
noooo...you know how i feel about swaps....

IMO you can get so much bang for your buck with a engine build, standalone and turbo setup......its more work but its cheaper......

why replace everything when there's only two weak links in the ej251 (the internals and the engine management).....

1000$ will build your engine nicely....and 1800$ will get u a brand new hydra.....piecing together the turbo kit itself and some supporting mods(injectors etc) is another 500-2000 (depending on what u go with, 2000$ being for a 20G or something along those lines)....so for 5000$ you are putting down WAY more power than you would with anything u swap in for 5000$ (with the exception of some tired 10 year old jdm engine that you put a big turbo on)

lol im so anti full swap lately :)
Oh I know how you hate them, and I totally agree with you on this idea, in fact I'm doing just that /\. But for the OP's purposes, unless you want to go to all the trouble of building a turbo engine out of your N/A engine (I know I do), a swap is the way to go here.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Oh I know how you hate them, and I totally agree with you on this idea, in fact I'm doing just that /\. But for the OP's purposes, unless you want to go to all the trouble of building a turbo engine out of your N/A engine (I know I do), a swap is the way to go here.
yeah.....i guess it boils down to either you spend a few months learning and slaving away to get better results in the end..as well as a much better understanding of your car

or you spend a weekend, pay a little extra and have a pretty quick car......

but got damn i hate the ej205...if i ever do a swap it will not be an ej205....ej257 FTW! (or as of right now it looks like its going to be an EG33....but in no means is it going to be a weekend swap lol...)

what you doing for you EM? Hydra?
:hijack:

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
EJ205 has LARGER intake manifold runners than EJ251. Better flow up top.
With a WRX ECU begin reflashable, you have BETTER tunability. MUCH MORE support etc.

Don't think about "Oh everyone has a WRX swap." It's about SOFTWARE. WRX ECU is like Windows XP. A lot of features and ease of tuning with good aftermarket support. You can upgrade the turbo whenever you have more $$$.

I run a hybrid WRX swap. I call it the EJ225 swap (22T/WRX heads). Upgraded turbo EVO3-16G-8cm, headerback, TMIC, injectors, fuel pump, OpenECU reflash, Perrin BIG MAF. This entire engine power swap cost porbably abouts 7-9k. But remember, you need a tranny that'll HOLD the power. I have a complete JDM STi driveline to the Brembos.

I put in 17k into the car and it does a [email protected] Fast huh. haha, Drives more than what it looks. Quick steering, stiff suspension, great brakes, short gears, awesome powerband, 300whp daily pump gas, DCCD fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts