Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with the oil feed and return lines for my turbo lately. I am using a Ludespeed oil feed line and oil pan. I have been smelling burning oil lately, and there are two spots it is coming from. However, I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. The oil feed line uses a fitting that screws into the block; it replaces one of the oil galley plugs. The line itself screws into this fitting. I am getting oil on the block around the bigger fitting. Anybody know of any way to remedy this, such as taking both off and using teflon tape on the threads, or something similar? On the oil return line, I am seeing oil underneath where the return hose and the fitting on the pan come together, so I'm assuming that's where the problem is. They are secured with a standard hose clamp. I'm wondering if that clamp has become loose, but it's been WAY too cold to really mess with it. I'm thinking that the clamp is the problem, and have considered getting T-bolt clamps to fix that, but again, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.:p

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well I can almost guarantee that putting teflon around the threads on the oil feed line will fix the problem. This is one of the basic rules when dealing with threaded lines that have fluid running through them.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "underneath where the return hose and the fitting on the pan come together."

If you can configure some sort of banjo bolt return setup, your problems will be eliminated, but this requires new fittings. However, if I understand what you are saying, then you might just try to tighten the hose clamp a bit, it could be a really simple fix.

Graham

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I can almost guarantee that putting teflon around the threads on the oil feed line will fix the problem. This is one of the basic rules when dealing with threaded lines that have fluid running through them.
I could swear I read or heard somewhere that using teflon tape with oil was bad...but now that I think about it, it might be antifreeze that I'm thinking of. :confused:
I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "underneath where the return hose and the fitting on the pan come together."
Sorry about that; it does sound confusing. What I meant is where the return hose and the return tube on the pan join together. The tube runs into the pan, and a fitting screws into that tube, which is what the hose attaches to. Does that help?
I did try to tighten the clamp yesterday, and I also cleaned the two spots that I'm seeing oil...today they have oil on them again!:( However, I did notice the last time I changed my oil that the bolts on the oil pan were not that tight; I tightened the ones I could reach, but I don't know how to get at the ones on the back-I had the shop that finished the installation put the pan on. I'm wondering if that might be the problem with the oil by the return line?

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
3,211 Posts
Darrell,

I had the same problem with my kit, and so did a friend of mine. (After a month of it being installed) It looks to be caused by the oil return line hose. Because of the extreme heat of the oil, it cooks it, well, toasts the rubber line, and eventually it starts to leak. I had it switched for a heavy duty oil line about couple of weeks ago. I'm still smelling a little bit of oil burning in the downpipe, but I think its because I was too lazy to clean it. ;)
So far, the hose is holding up, and I don't see any leaks.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because of the extreme heat of the oil, it cooks it, well, toasts the rubber line, and eventually it starts to leak.
Originally, the shop that finished the installation of my kit used FUCKIN HEATER HOSE! They said they did it because the length of return line that I got from Ludespeed wasn't long enough. It actually held up pretty good for a while, and I didn't replace it because it was leaking, but because it was getting extremely soft. Anyway, I went and got some industrial stuff they use on heavy machinery and the likes, and the guy assured me that motor oil and the temps were no problem for this stuff. I'm either not getting a good seal with the clamp, the fitting, or my oil pan is leaking. :confused: It's supposed to be above freezing this weekend, though, so maybe I'll get the opportunity to take a better look.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well you could try to do what I used to do with the drain and fill lines on all my Nissans. Put a small amount of black RTV on the threads. It keeps drain plugs like the oil pan from leaking to the point of not even having the usual wet look from tiny amounts of oil.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS-T
46 Posts
I had a huge oil return line problem on my rst. it came from the freakin flange on the turbo. the one ludespeed sent me was crooked and the oil seeped under the gasket. i just used black rtv and replaced the flange for the oil return from one that you can buy from any turbo retailer. then i used a earls fitting and a stainless steel braided line to go to the barbed brass fiting in the pan and used a hose clamp to tighten it up. its been runnin fine ever since

1 - 8 of 8 Posts