Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so another leak has popped up ugh! Not sure if it’s the oil pan gasket(which is silicon?)or something else.? I’ve read online that it couldbe the oil separator plate or baffle? Here’s some photos. Let me know what you guys think. Also there’s some oil around the whole pan. But more around the back. Thanks.

*I will be pressure washing the whole area later.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
There's really no way to know from your pics if the oil pain is the only problem, or if it's the rear main, or the separator plate, or if the valve covers are leaking and dripping onto the oil pan. You can try resealing the oil pan with Permetex Ultra Black, least you'll know the pan won't be the cause.

If every leak is causing you stress on your engine, I recommend pulling it and resealing everything with factory gaskets, and the appropriate RTVs. I do this periodically (every 4-5 years) on my turbo cars, because I hate having oil hit the hot exhaust manifolds and causing a smoke show at stoplights.

Remember: A subaru that leaks is a running Subaru.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
420 Posts
"Remember: A subaru that leaks is a running Subaru."

...and if it leaks, it still has enough oil to leak
Aftermarket oil pan gaskets are manufactured but don't ever use those things. For the oil pan or the oil separator plate / baffle on the back of the engine, use a quality RTV, Fuji bond, or Honda bond.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's really no way to know from your pics if the oil pain is the only problem, or if it's the rear main, or the separator plate, or if the valve covers are leaking and dripping onto the oil pan. You can try resealing the oil pan with Permetex Ultra Black, least you'll know the pan won't be the cause.

If every leak is causing you stress on your engine, I recommend pulling it and resealing everything with factory gaskets, and the appropriate RTVs. I do this periodically (every 4-5 years) on my turbo cars, because I hate having oil hit the hot exhaust manifolds and causing a smoke show at stoplights.

Remember: A subaru that leaks is a running Subaru.
Would you recommend this to use a gasket sealer for the oil pan?

Attachments

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
Yeah, that's the one I mentioned in the quote ;)

Reactions: lovemyRS

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
No worries

1 - 8 of 8 Posts