Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i have a 1998 Impreza with an ej20k engine. There is an oily residue, under the power steering pump and alternator, and it runs down in front of the timing belt covers. My ps pump is always full, and the color of the leak is oil color.

Are there any oil lines that run near or under the power steering pump?

I'll try and attach some pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I placed a cardboard under the car. It doesn't leak when the engine is running, but there will be a small stain the next morning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
my guess is the at the temp sensor. pics will tell us for sure though.
Here are some pics I took last night after work. I'll try and get more. The leak runs along the timing belt cover and down to the front side of the oil pan.

I thought the temp sensor was at the back of the engine? Unless the one in the back is a coolant sensor?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
More pics it does seem like my power steering is leaking. But my ps level hasn't hanged, while my oil is at half, and I topped it off 4 days ago with appx 2-3oz of oil.

http://i64.tinypic.com/219w0ih.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/qoxgn5.jpg

the oil dip stick shows half full on 1 side, and oil past full on the other side of the dipstick. Yes the floor is level.

EDIT: had to post the 2 links, attachment size exceeded, and the

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i misspoke. i didnt mean temp sensor at all. i meant pressure sensor. which is what yuo have in your second post, second picture.
Thank you sir, I can't tell if that is the culprit but it does look really oily.

Would this little piece cause me to refill 3oz oil every week?

The local dealership won't touch it as it's a jdm engine.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
i misspoke. i didnt mean temp sensor at all. i meant pressure sensor. which is what yuo have in your second post, second picture.
When I read your original reply I thought maybe you had mistyped but I didn't want to step on any toes.

I can almost bet you it's the pressure sensor leaking. Easy part to replace!

subaru OE part number 25240KA040

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I read your original reply I thought maybe you had mistyped but I didn't want to step on any toes.

I can almost bet you it's the pressure sensor leaking. Easy part to replace!

subaru OE part number 25240KA040

Thank you! I bought the part Saturday morning. Its superceded by 25240KA041

Do I have to put the fujibond/ultra grey on the threads? Or just the top portion of the threads?

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
It would be like applying plumbers tape to seal a joint. It needs to be applied to the threads that will engage in the fitting.

·
Registered
1997 impreza Sport Wagon
2 Posts
Hey guys i have a 1998 Impreza with an ej20k engine. There is an oily residue, under the power steering pump and alternator, and it runs down in front of the timing belt covers. My ps pump is always full, and the color of the leak is oil color.

Are there any oil lines that run near or under the power steering pump?

I'll try and attach some pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I placed a cardboard under the car. It doesn't leak when the engine is running, but there will be a small stain the next morning.

Before you dig too far take a look at the power steering reservoir. The tank bolts down with a washer that has a rubber nipple that wears out or gets torn or smashed. A small amount leaks while you drive, the air and motion can throw the ps fluid around. Then you start looking for an oil leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before you dig too far take a look at the power steering reservoir. The tank bolts down with a washer that has a rubber nipple that wears out or gets torn or smashed. A small amount leaks while you drive, the air and motion can throw the ps fluid around. Then you start looking for an oil leak.
Thank you,I bought a used pump from nasioc. Planning to rebuild it before I install it. I saw on a Japanese site that the ej20k pump has 2 bolts. Order some washers on Japanparts.

The power steering level hasn't changed but the oil has been. The oil has been dripping down the front the timing belt cover, and then the oil pan. Its a slow leak. I was under the car today and looks can be deceiving. I know it's leaking from the top of the engine, but the oil residue makes it look like it's leaking from btwn the cover and block. Pretty sure it's not coming from behind the cover as i had the complete timing belt/idlers, oil o-ring, front oil seal, and all cam seals replaced 40k kms ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Are you still leaking after the replacement sensor?
I just installed it yesterday, waiting for atleast 24hrs for the ultra grey to cure. I was going to wait until I get my new belt from rockauto but I guess I can install the old belt and let her run for a bit.

Edit: added some pics, also would it be a good time to swap out those other sensors? Or only replace if something is wrong/leaking? Crank, coolant.. and I'm not sure what the small one beside the coolant temp sensor.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Those are likely both coolant sensors. One for the ECU and one for the gauge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update, oil still leaking, dime size oil stain. When engine running nothing drips, but will when off overnight.

The new sensor is dry and clean. Weird thing is past few days my oil was at half. The day I changed that sensor, past Sunday,
the dipstick showed full after I changed it. Now I haven't driven or turned on the engine in 7 days. Quick drive and went back home. Next morning I noticed the little stain and my oil was at half again. I don't know wtf is up with that. That little stain doesn't equal half oil missing.

Next step is to change the power steering, as my fluid is very old and it looks like old oil. I'm hoping it's that, but why would my oil be half 1 day, then full next day, then back to half on the 3rd day.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Engine's are weird. I just recently experienced this myself. Car came to me cold, oil was showing 3/4 low. Took it for a drive got it warm, waited about 10-15 minutes, it was full.

Glad the new sensor isn't leaking, but unfortunate you're still ending up with drips. Anyway you can positively identify the fluid as oil or power steering? power steering fluid should be clear or red and have a slightly different feel on the finger tips than engine oil will. You should take the timing covers off and make sure everything is still clean in there, that will help narrow it down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts