Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stock 99 RS2.5 SOHC with now 193,000 kms on it.
It had an overheating issue when I bought it 5000kms ago but I changed the HGs and Timing belt and it has been good since. Last week I did a huge road trip to Southern BC and back around 3500kms and the car ran great. the power steering pump started squealing but I just tightened the belt when I got there.

But the thing is the engine burns oil like crazy. It burned a quart and a half on the way down and another quart on the way back home. it doesnt smoke. it doesnt leak much if any. Where is that oil going? Is this normal for a 2.5 NA? Im hoping to get another 100,000 k out of it otherwise I wasted my time on the HG change.

Another question.

When this motor does give up I really want to keep the car. What is my best option for a running relaible engine under the hood (affordable) I can do the mechanical stuff pretty good but I hate wiring. I'd prefer to keep the 2.5 SOHC and give it some extra Jam after. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Have you checked your EGR system? Sometimes when the piping for those gets plugged up with gunk it causes high consumption.

If not that it's possible your rings are worn and you're getting lots of blowby. That's be somewhat strange though, I have 206k miles on my 2.2 and it only burned about 1/2 a quart in 5000+ miles.

As far as replacing the motor, probably the most common way to get a bit more pep is to rebuild the 2.5 with delta 2000 grind cams, get a full exhaust/intake and an I-Speed SRS reflash along with any porting etc that you feel like doing to the heads/intake/exhaust parts. That will net you probably 15-30 more horsepower combined IIRC, which is a feelable amount of extra pep. The I-speed also raises your rev limiter from what I remember, which can make the car feel a bit more fun and with a freshly rebuilt motor you don't have to worry too much about grenading it once it's broken in. :)

Nathan

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man! Now I have to find that PVC valve. I was thinking about a rebuild on the 2.5 later on when she gets really tired with some new pistons and rods. A cam you say? yes.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its been a while since I looked under the hood other than to check the oil regularly, its damn cold up here still. But I was under the hood the other night and damned if I can find an EGR valve on the intake anywhere, i dont think it has one.... If I'm right and the car doesnt have an EGR what would be the likely cause of the oil use?? It smells like oil when I start it up fromindide the car but never at the back. no leaks on the ground and it doesnt smoke while im driving down the road but it has to be going somewhere. Im stumped

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys Im working on the body right now, but still having that oil issue.. I drove a thousand kms earlier this spring and the car burned a quart for every fill up!!!! I did a compression check and the compression seems ok a little lower on the left bank but just within spec of +/- .5 KG/cm2

If there is no EGR on my car there has to be some kind of a crankcase vent thats possibly plugged causing my engine to burn this much oil? I can see it on the rear of the car as black soot staining the bumper : (

Valves could be the problem but I want to try the cheap simple solutions first.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Well, first I must ask. What weight oil do you run? In my H4 I ran 10w-30 in the summer, and 5w-20 in the winter.

Running the 5w I noticed some oil consumption, about 1x a month I'd have to put 1/4 quart in. Running the 10w I needed to add a little oil about every 5,000 miles.

What are your compression numbers? Do you have any CEL codes?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
It seems I'm having a similar issue in my EJ205. Different engine, but I haven't taken a hard look at the problem yet.

I'll be checking this thread for some hints! Literally mines been burning supposedly a quart every 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have any CELs and I run 5W-30 all year. The compressions were right in the middle of the spec range on the right bank, just within spec on the low side on the left bank. I did head gaskets and timing belt last fall. My oil shouldnt be a problem, I have run 5W-30 in almost every vehicle Ive ever owned and never seen oil burned like this. its gotten steadily worse.

If the car doesnt have a EGR valve mounted on the rear of the intake manifold it has to use something for a crank case vent.... anyone know what that is???

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Try thicker oil. 10w-30 shouldn't burn off as much as 5w, in my engine I burned 5w, like I said, quite a bit per month.

If you continue to burn oil with the 10w then I'd assume a problem.

Check your EGR valves, and it none are hooked up just ensure that the vents are clean and not gummed up causing excess crank pressure.

·
Registered
'00 RS EG33, '05 STI, '92 SVX
135 Posts
Vents are on the valve covers and the crankcase vent is on the passenger block half at the rear of the block. There's a ~1.25" j-shaped hose extending from it to a Tee that connects a hose from "torque box" to the PCV.

All this is in the back by the throttle body on the left, when viewing the car from front.

Also my 247K 2.2L OBS, Mobil 5000 every 5000mi, had no appreciable oil consumption
We shall see how the frankenmotor P2 2.2 heads/25D block will do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.