Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have tryed searching for a DIY thread with pics but cant seem to find the exact information for my engine.

It seems that all the threads are for a different type of engine, I have a 1998 wrx sti jap import and wanted to know where the hoses would go and best place to mount it!

Thanks

My Beast ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1997 Subaru STI coupe
257 Posts
since you have a 1998 import your engine should be the EJ20K, which is what I have. My carch can is installed of the air intake vacuum line and off the MAP sensor intake manifold. There should currently be a combination metal/rubber vacuum hose that runs off between the air intake and intake manifold.

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one! Just what i needed to know.

Just out of curiousity what is that thing sitting on top of your battery with the green wires going into it?

·
Registered
1997 Subaru STI coupe
257 Posts
Nice one! Just what i needed to know.

Just out of curiousity what is that thing sitting on top of your battery with the green wires going into it?
Yep, it is a grounding kit. Are you running the stock BOV? I changing mine back to stock becuase it's running to rich and the engine runs far better with the stock recirculated valve.

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Polished

Also what is the polished thing called going on to your induction kit :)

I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last thing! I have a viper performance oil catch can which have 8mm hose fittings but the pipes that the other end go onto are 19-20mm, so i need some sort of adaptor from 8mm to 18mm or something! Anyone know where i can get them?
Cheers

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just installed the catch can on the pipes and my car wouldnt start? does it matter about the size of the pipes as mine are pretty small! ive read that you need a t piece for something but you havent said anything about that!
and does it matter if you have the catch can upside down or is that a stupid question?

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs
322 Posts
One last thing! I have a viper performance oil catch can which have 8mm hose fittings but the pipes that the other end go onto are 19-20mm, so i need some sort of adaptor from 8mm to 18mm or something! Anyone know where i can get them?
Cheers
Your local hardware store should have an adapter that will work. It doesnt matter if it is plastic or brass for these lines.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza 3.3 H6
191 Posts
Well, if the catch can was upside down, the oil that is captured in the catch can would just drain right down in to the hose that's supposed to have the clean air.

Double check all hoses and electric plugs that you had to/may have unplugged when doing the install.

As for a T connector, one should be used to connect the valve cover vent hoses together, then that connected to the catch can, then out to intake.

If using a Catch Can for the PCV, a T can be used to seperate the exiting Can hose, one going to the intake, the other to the PCV valve.

Here's how I have mine set up:

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how come in the pics Juggernaut posted it doesnt look like hes had to join any pipes together?
Doin my head in lol

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Hey I know it's a dead post, but xtreme you guys actually have it hooked up wrong. It looks like you guys took off the metal/rubber hose and hooked it into that. That is actually going to you iacv. (idle air control valve). That is where your car pulls air from whenever the butterfly valve is closed at idle. You actually want it to come, from your valve cover, into the catch can, then into the intake. Hope this helps.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
-keep catch can right side up (tube end)
-install the can tubes between where the pcv tube connects to the intake, just ahead of the turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
since you have a 1998 import your engine should be the EJ20K, which is what I have. My carch can is installed of the air intake vacuum line and off the MAP sensor intake manifold. There should currently be a combination metal/rubber vacuum hose that runs off between the air intake and intake manifold.

Hey just a quick question, I have a 97’ sti with the Ej20k and want to install a catch can. I’m just wondering does the way you have it setup delete the the metal/rubber vaccume hose?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts