Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a question... how much oil does your engine burn? The reason I ask this is because a week or so ago, I changed my oil after 5000 miles, and (..I know this is my fault for not checking...) I found that I had only 2 liters or so of oil left in my pan!! I checked the filter..no oil drips. Checked my oil plug... no leaks there either. So I'm wondering if anyone here has to add oil between changes. Or am I just ignorant in that I should add old between changes anyways? Thanks for any help ahead of time.

~Shane
:stupid:

·
Registered
599 Posts
What year and mileage RS do you have?
Mine consumed all its oil in a day and threw a rod bearing, others consume mroe than a quart every 1000 miles, etc. Keep an eye on it and report it to your dealership so they have a record of it. That way if yours does what mine did (clack clack clack clack clack) you can get a new short block....keep an eye on it. Also, what oil do you run, synthetic, dino, and weight?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 99RS with about 34,000 on it. I run Mobil 1, 5w30. Wow STiShawn , I can't believe that it ate up all the oil in one day!!! The only way I found out that I needed more oil was that the engine started to bog ALOT and my oil light went on. I'm going to have my car serviced soon for it's 30,000 mile service (yes, I am a little late :), so I'll make sure to tell the dealership about the problem. Do all of our RS's do this??

·
Registered
05 LGT limited
405 Posts
All flat engines do use some oil, just keep an eye on it. Any more than about .5 quart per 1000 miles is excessive, regardless of what FHI or the dealer says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts