Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
-changing grease is only good if you can get 100% of the old grease COMPLETELY removed and have only 100% new grease. Mixing different grease types is BAD and will most likely attract water and = FAIL x 1000
-do not mix different greases in bearings, see above for reference

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
Maybe newer legacy/impreza front knuckles with bolt in bearing? Would assume everything fits. At least you could remove it much easier.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thread revival!! :)
Sooooo... I've been pretty nice on bearings the last couple years, but recently started thrashing on them like the good 'ol days and now have two dead front bearings.
I'm working on trying to fit the 08-14 spindle assy on MY99 RS. The newer bearings do seem to hold up better than the old stuff and at the minimum, the bearing will be a bolt on replacement instead of press in.

Great idea, kay95. I'd thought about that interchange in the past, but forgotten about it until I reread this thread for part numbers.

-Kurt

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I had someone ring in on one of my posts on the FB last night and was able to get a lot of info for the conversion to the newer bearing, but I'm trying to find more info on load characteristics of the newer bolt on type bearing.
I found this on Rock Auto, which gives some info on the bearing assembly. Unfortunately, no load information is provided.

ABS/Non-ABS (Y/N) Y
ABS Type Encoder
Bearing Type BALL
Bolt Circle Diameter B (in) 3.937
Bolt Quantity 4.000
Bolt Size (in) M12x1.25
Brake Pilot Dia (in) 2.283
Driven_Non Driven Driven
Flange (#) 2.000
Flange Diameter (in) 4.882
Flange Offset (in) 1.929
Flange Shape Modified
Hub Pilot Dia G (in) 2.992
Roll Form (Y) N
Spline Quantity 27.000
Wheel Pilot Dia (mm) 56.000
Wheel Studs (Y/N) Y
Wheel Stud Qty 5.000
Wheel Stud Size (in) M12x1.25

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 28373FG000, HA590118

You may notice that this bearing assembly incorporates ball bearings instead of roller bearings, which I thought was interesting.

-Kurt

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So the newer spindle has two significant differences that may affect your decision to perform this conversion:
1 - The abs tone ring is incorporated into the hub on the newer style. This means that you'll have to get creative with your axles and abs sensor or simply remove abs. I've already disabled my abs for better braking in the dirt, so that's it an issue for me. Below is a pic that was posted which shows a mock up of abs sensor.

2 - Difference in axle splines. The older axles have a small section where the splines do not continue to the mating surface/flange area, opposite of the threaded end. Now, you can change axles over to the newer style, potentially make a hybrid axle (have to look into this), or make a spacer so you can get the correct preload on the bearing. Two photos are attached showing the old style axle and the new.
I've also attached an image showing a spacer that the person who was kind enough to share all this information with me, made.

I'll continue to update this as I learn more and progress in this conversion.

-Kurt

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So, I went out and picked up a left & right hub/spindle assembly and two front axles on my lunch break and hope to install them tonight.

As I look more and more at these newer style wheel bearings, I'm starting to convince myself that these are the same design as the STI bearings, which hopefully means a huge improvement in strength and longevity.

-Kurt

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
I think the ABS could be made to work. I you can look at the tone sensor connector and see if they are the same. The other big thing is the tone ring.

If that is different then some will have to be laser cut which shouldn't be super expensive at this point. The OEM ones should just be pressed on so remove them and press the new rings on.

However even if the tooth count is different I don't know how much it will affect ABS because its function is to look for lock. The frequency will change but shouldnt be by a lot because the tooth count can be that much different.

The older bosch 5.3 stuff I don't think is that sophisticated to look for individual wheel speed and brake for course correction. I do know the 5.3i has a G sensor so it might be a problem. Worth a try though.
http://avto-skan.ru/uploads/bl_bosch_abs_5_3.pdf

One could also make a frequency converter if mechanical means are too expensive. It wouldn't be too expensive or hard to do. I think it is a less reliable solution though.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,316 Posts
So, I went out and picked up a left & right hub/spindle assembly and two front axles on my lunch break and hope to install them tonight.

As I look more and more at these newer style wheel bearings, I'm starting to convince myself that these are the same design as the STI bearings, which hopefully means a huge improvement in strength and longevity.

-Kurt

Have you confirmed geometry of all mounting points, compared with the 93-01?
What’s the word on this????!!! It could mean no more bearing replacements for a whollllle lot of us...

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think one of mine may be failing, but need to check. One thing I'm not sure if I did correctly is the torque - I torqued them to the old bearing spec and being that it's a totally different design, I could be way off. The good news is that it's only ~$40 for a replacement bearing and no press needed anymore. That's enough reason to convert imo.

-Kurt

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5rs, White Coupe
4 Posts
So which hub/spindle assembly are you using? And how much has this conversion cost? Rotors and calipers being reused? Or ...? Struts and everything bolt right up to them?

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5rs, White Coupe
4 Posts
I think one of mine may be failing, but need to check. One thing I'm not sure if I did correctly is the torque - I torqued them to the old bearing spec and being that it's a totally different design, I could be way off. The good news is that it's only ~$40 for a replacement bearing and no press needed anymore. That's enough reason to convert imo.

-Kurt

Update my dude? What axles are you using? Hybrids? If not are you running a newer gen trans? Since classsic rs' have a female cv to trans cnnection where the 08-14 impreza is a dual male cv axle...? Does the Struts lower casing flange fit on the spindle assembly? Im sick of my car/me killing wheel bearings and having to disassemble the whole thing to put new bearings in some solid info would be appreciated.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts