Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 2128 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
DAMNIT!...i made my basecoat today for my hood scoop...there were no diffrent variations..basecoat look'd good, once i cleared it you could tell the base wasnt dark enough...baked it..threw it on the hood to check the color...looks like the right color..just a light variant..its too pink..the face is good, but the sidetone is light.

i dunno if i should try to darken it by eye, or just repaint the scoop black.

i think im gonna paint it black :rolleyes:

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
learn to tint, whitey!!!

you gotta take the colors inside that formula of paint, and add just a touch until you get it right...

don't introduce any NEW colors.. stay inside the formula..

if it's too pink, try adding the opposite dark color..

prolly a rust, or black...

===

or be lazy and call out the electronic eye..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah..i know how to tint by eye...id use the darkest red in the formula...i end'd up just leaving it how it is..its really not that far off...ill redo it when i get my fog light covers and lip :banana:

·
WTF WAS THAT?!?
'05 Legacy GT, '09 Forester X
4,433 Posts
i'm really starting to hate shiny cars i think i'm gonna get mine painted a flat or satin blue.
i was thinking a blue velvet or alpha blue.

down with the shine!

oh yeah my ?
is there any special paints or paint protection i should ask about?

·
Registered
656 Posts
whats the best way to bring back a shine, on a 94. paint isnt bad, but it just doesnt shine. and you know how it goes on the back of the roof, the clear is coming and its just base there. what should i do?

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
nerdx said:
whats the best way to bring back a shine, on a 94. paint isnt bad, but it just doesnt shine. and you know how it goes on the back of the roof, the clear is coming and its just base there. what should i do?
you'll need to repaint the roof.

and the rest of the car just needs a good buff..

--

don't go to a detail shop for the buff, they halfway know what they're doing.

go to a body shop, have the paintwork done, and see if they'll give you a deal on buffing out the entire car....

you get a free detail with paintwork anyway, since they dust up your car somethin' feirce

they will do a WAAY better job than a detail shop..

most detail shops don't know a fucking thing about paint...

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,537 Posts
I have a badly dented passenger side fender, with no other damage. Been driving around with it like this for almost 6 years now, time to get it fixed. I've been quoted at $750-800 to get it done at a bodyshop, but know of a couple places I can buy a prepainted one for about $250. How hard is it to do the replacement on my own? I have regular tools, and know how to use them, just never done any bodywork myself.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
BigShizzle i have a question for ya. What's better to use for painting parts of your, an electronic eye thing to try and match the paint, or to use the paint code and get some of the real stuff. I live in Atlanta and my only worry is my spoiler is gonna be the best looking piece of my car lol. It shouldn't stand out too badly now. Just me being paranoid.

Oh yes another thing. The brake on my spoiler isnt in the best condition. It looks like the clear plastic layer or something that was on has almost completely came off and quite scratched up. I was thinking if i sand it all the same would it help at all. I'ld rather it all look the same than the patchyness it is at the moment. I'll throw a picture up soon to give you a better idea. So summary is anyway to make my scratched up spoiler brake light look nice again?

Thanks

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
HondaH8er said:
I have a badly dented passenger side fender, with no other damage. Been driving around with it like this for almost 6 years now, time to get it fixed. I've been quoted at $750-800 to get it done at a bodyshop, but know of a couple places I can buy a prepainted one for about $250. How hard is it to do the replacement on my own? I have regular tools, and know how to use them, just never done any bodywork myself.
putting on the fender is fairly easy.

remove the headlights, gille, and bumper - 30 mins

then remove the fender from the 10mm bolts - 2 mins

--

thing is, you'll need the door blended to get a proper color match when it's painted.

before the fender goes on, the backside, and edges need to be painted first.

--

I'd recommend buying the fender,
buying some basecoat in a aeresol can from a body shop supply store,
edge in the fender,
remove old fender, and install the new one, making sure it aligns properly,
then take apart your door to be painted,
remove belt moulding under window, mirror, and door handle.

you can leave the door ding strip on, it's ok..
--

then take your car to be painted and buffed... (just slap in the headlights to make it legal to drive up there)

that should remove about half the labor costs for the job.

our cars are cake to work on, so don't be scared.

good luck!

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
scooby_snacks said:
BigShizzle i have a question for ya. What's better to use for painting parts of your, an electronic eye thing to try and match the paint, or to use the paint code and get some of the real stuff. I live in Atlanta and my only worry is my spoiler is gonna be the best looking piece of my car lol. It shouldn't stand out too badly now. Just me being paranoid.

Oh yes another thing. The brake on my spoiler isnt in the best condition. It looks like the clear plastic layer or something that was on has almost completely came off and quite scratched up. I was thinking if i sand it all the same would it help at all. I'ld rather it all look the same than the patchyness it is at the moment. I'll throw a picture up soon to give you a better idea. So summary is anyway to make my scratched up spoiler brake light look nice again?

Thanks
electronic eye will match the color to YOUR car's ACTUAL paint.

paint code will match color to what your paint color is SUPPOSED to be.

codes have variants. different factories, different runs of a model, all kinds of factors make the same "code" turn out just a little different from each other.

having them call out the paint rep with the eye doesn't cost more.

but it will stop them from pulling it outside, saying, "damn... that don't match" and pulling it right back in to repaint, again...
--
wet sand the lens with 2000 grit paper, buff with a wool pad, and compound..

good as new

(just have the body shop fix it when you get the paintwork....)

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
scooby_snacks said:
one last question... can you put that bird with the nice arse back in your avatar again?

which one?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
Well bugger they said the fibreglass stress crack is quite extensive and it would take a while to fix so the labour costs alone cause it to fuck up. There is one 3-4 inch hairline crack and apparently one along the main part (which i don't recall tbh) i have never worked with fibreglass but i assume it's gonna be pretty difficult to sort out. For a full fix it and paint it job was looking at $584 so i guess i'll pass.

Someone i know mentioned bondo'in it. What the hell would that do. It also has some shitty maaco enamel paint job that they said would be quite difficult to sort out.

Any advice? I'm just pissed off at the moment was getting real excited about having it sorted. Fuck.

At the moment i am thinking of sanding all the paint off. I'll post some pics so you can tell me what type of paper to use. And then trying to repair the fibreglass if they're only quite small cracks, couldn't i just fill them in with the resin shit they use? If you have any fibreglass guides that would be great!

121 - 140 of 2128 Posts