Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 2128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Post #5 is great but dosen't answer my questions #1 how much weight will a new paint jod add weight like in Lbs and #2 could you cut the fender flairs off 1 car and weld it onto another to fit larger wheel and tires?
 

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.5rs 1991ss
Joined
·
444 Posts
Can The outer rocker panel on a 95impreza sedan be replaced? I need it done to get my car inspected, paint doesn't matter, I'd be happy just primered, also the "lip" under the car where the rocker meets the floorpan is pretty bad, any idea of the cost of straightening the lip and patching or replacing the rocker? I'd rather just replace it because it's a major part of the car. Thanks
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
cost of the new roof panel

cost of removal of old panel

cost of installation of new panel

cost of painting and buffing

--

whatever that adds up to
 

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
Joined
·
3,623 Posts
okay new question. Someone backed into my bumper this weekend. I got hit in the passenger side rear quarter. The damage is minimal, meaning the hit only affected the rear quarter and not the door or anything. However, it's creased badly, and is not something that can be "popped" out.

Here's my question. From the standpoint of cost is no object, which is the more desirable course of repair:

1. hammer it out, then fill it back to spec with filling agent

2. cut and replace the panel

I'm thinking that #2 would be better for the structural integrity of the car. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages that i'm missing, ignoring cost.


Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
biGshizzle79 said:
cost of the new roof panel

cost of removal of old panel

cost of installation of new panel

cost of painting and buffing

--

whatever that adds up to
roof panel would mean just the squre area on the top? not the pillars right?
 

·
Registered
01 Forester
Joined
·
5,169 Posts
s.g.d said:
roof panel would mean just the squre area on the top? not the pillars right?
Yes, the area between the front and rear windshields and black roof rails.

I am going to be getting a quote on all the bodywork my car needs as well as replacing the roof very soon. I will let you know what I find out.
 

·
Premium Member
RSTI
Joined
·
6,844 Posts
I gots a question.... maybe a couple....

At work there is a BMW M3 thats "Alpine white". It looks nothing like "Aspen white". It's all pretty and shiney. I want my car to look shiney too. I was going to get an Ai bonnet and trunk so I will be spraying those. Also want to get the front bumper, rear wing, rear spats, rocker panel covers and will likely get a JDM rear bumper at some point. Should I just repaint the whole car in BMW "Alpine white"? Or is my Subaru paint have a hidden luster and shine lurking below the surface.

Subaru paint is ass so I'm guessing I'll have to respray the whole damn thing for best results.

The factory has the special Easy Bake Oven process that makes the paint adhere better to the panels (I'm told this but have yet to see a subaru without chips in the front). Do any paint shops have something like this maybe on a smaller scale so I can do my hood and front bumper? I'm tired of repainting the front of my car every year or so.

cheers

garrett
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
2.5rsleeper said:
okay new question. Someone backed into my bumper this weekend. I got hit in the passenger side rear quarter. The damage is minimal, meaning the hit only affected the rear quarter and not the door or anything. However, it's creased badly, and is not something that can be "popped" out.

Here's my question. From the standpoint of cost is no object, which is the more desirable course of repair:

1. hammer it out, then fill it back to spec with filling agent

2. cut and replace the panel

I'm thinking that #2 would be better for the structural integrity of the car. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages that i'm missing, ignoring cost.


Thanks in advance

take a picture.. its waaaaay easier to tell

==

my rear quarter is bashed in too, (assholes)


some can be repaired, some its easier/cheaper to replace the panel...

you could cheat it, in the d-pillar somewhere, if you're good

(leave the good section of the original roof rail in, cut it, and weld/join the newer part to replace the damaged section, prolly above the rear window)
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
poormansporsche said:
I gots a question.... maybe a couple....

At work there is a BMW M3 thats "Alpine white". It looks nothing like "Aspen white". It's all pretty and shiney. I want my car to look shiney too. I was going to get an Ai bonnet and trunk so I will be spraying those. Also want to get the front bumper, rear wing, rear spats, rocker panel covers and will likely get a JDM rear bumper at some point. Should I just repaint the whole car in BMW "Alpine white"? Or is my Subaru paint have a hidden luster and shine lurking below the surface.

Subaru paint is ass so I'm guessing I'll have to respray the whole damn thing for best results.

The factory has the special Easy Bake Oven process that makes the paint adhere better to the panels (I'm told this but have yet to see a subaru without chips in the front). Do any paint shops have something like this maybe on a smaller scale so I can do my hood and front bumper? I'm tired of repainting the front of my car every year or so.

cheers

garrett

the factory uses highly advanced robotic electrically charged painting proceedure that cannot be reproduced outside the factory..
the panel is charged negatively, and the paint is charged positively


you can however make the same RESULTS.

==

as for chip resistance, use flex agent in the entire front end's clearcoat..

it will reduce rock chips, and cracking in your clearcoat, especially on plastic bumpers
 

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
Joined
·
3,623 Posts
biGshizzle79 said:
take a picture.. its waaaaay easier to tell

==

my rear quarter is bashed in too, (assholes)


some can be repaired, some its easier/cheaper to replace the panel...

you could cheat it, in the d-pillar somewhere, if you're good

(leave the good section of the original roof rail in, cut it, and weld/join the newer part to replace the damaged section, prolly above the rear window)
so you're saying that neither method is particularly beneficial/detrimental?
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
they both work fine, that part of the car isn't structural or anything...


the better repair of the two would be a no filler, sheet metal panel replacement...

the cheaper of the two is obviously going to involve a little bondo...
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
 

·
Premium Member
RSTI
Joined
·
6,844 Posts
So does the factory paint job have much shine to it? If I start with the rubbing compound will I find anything other than the base coat?

cheers

garrett


biGshizzle79 said:
the factory uses highly advanced robotic electrically charged painting proceedure that cannot be reproduced outside the factory..
the panel is charged negatively, and the paint is charged positively


you can however make the same RESULTS.

==

as for chip resistance, use flex agent in the entire front end's clearcoat..

it will reduce rock chips, and cracking in your clearcoat, especially on plastic bumpers
 

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.5rs 1991ss
Joined
·
444 Posts
Can The outer rocker panel on a 95impreza sedan be replaced? I need it done to get my car inspected, paint doesn't matter, I'd be happy just primered, also the "lip" under the car where the rocker meets the floorpan is pretty bad, any idea of the cost of straightening the lip and patching or replacing the rocker? I'd rather just replace it because it's a major part of the car. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Any estimate? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
992.5RS said:
Yes, the area between the front and rear windshields and black roof rails.

I am going to be getting a quote on all the bodywork my car needs as well as replacing the roof very soon. I will let you know what I find out.
killer, thanks.

sunroof has to go!
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
poormansporsche said:
So does the factory paint job have much shine to it? If I start with the rubbing compound will I find anything other than the base coat?

cheers

garrett
factory is basecoat/clearcoat, same as we'd spray in the bodyshop..
just the application isn't robotic or electrically charged

the clearcoat gives UV protection, gloss and shine..

there are several coats on an OEM finish..

===
clear coat / 2-3 coats
===
base coat (color) 5-20 coats
===
sealer 1 coat
===
epoxy primer 1 coat
===
zinc phosphate 1 coat
===

------------
yes you can buff thru the clearcoat if you aren't careful, and even all the way to the metal I suppose
 

·
Registered
01 RS Sedan - Black Diamond Pe
Joined
·
207 Posts
I got one for you. I have a 01 RS with the stock gold 16 inch wheels. The gold paint is chipping pretty bad. What is the best way to either remove the paint and just have the aluminum show or what do i need to repaint them gold?
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
habitual said:
I got one for you. I have a 01 RS with the stock gold 16 inch wheels. The gold paint is chipping pretty bad. What is the best way to either remove the paint and just have the aluminum show or what do i need to repaint them gold?
see my painting rims DIY:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40215
 
61 - 80 of 2128 Posts
Top