Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 2128 Posts

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
992.5RS said:
Welding involved.
I think if it's something that could be done between two Subie owners it wouldn't cost a dime, at the most basic level. And I mean if one of us could weld or have somebody weld (I do), and we both had the same color car. Essentially that would be it right? Doesn't seem too hard.
 

·
Registered
00 STi, 93 LG SS
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
alright bigshizzle heres a few questions

my hood has rock pits in it. they are smal but when Im close they are noticable. Best method or advise to get them out and have a clean hood.

My front bumper is very rough no paint chips it just feels like a lot of rock dents, very minor but its keeping my bumper from looking very smooth. How do I clean this up?

I have a scratch on the pass fender its deep from a chair on the highway. Can I have someone just repaint that part or does the whole fender need a repaint?

The moonroof came with a visor and I really want to take it off but it left a scratch around where it sits. how do I fix that?

Im about to purchase a front lip and it has minor curb rash whats teh best method to touch it up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
Yo, Shizzle - check out the pics I posted here:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41171

Wondering what you think the cost for repair is gonna be. Also, should I go OEM parts or "non-stock" replacement parts? Does it really make a difference? My wallet is crying just thinking about it already ... :run:
 

·
Registered
01 Forester
Joined
·
5,169 Posts
jonnydajibba said:
I think if it's something that could be done between two Subie owners it wouldn't cost a dime, at the most basic level. And I mean if one of us could weld or have somebody weld (I do), and we both had the same color car. Essentially that would be it right? Doesn't seem too hard.
Very good idea. Would also need a glass man b/c the front and rear glass has to come out as well.
 

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
I know a glass man too. But you live in Alabama huh? Just ship your roof to me and I'll ship mine to you :lol:
 

·
Registered
00 STi, 93 LG SS
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
jonnydajibba said:
I know a glass man too. But you live in Alabama huh? Just ship your roof to me and I'll ship mine to you :lol:
I wanted to ask someone who knew glass well also. Is it possible to make a one piece headlight? or would that be a plastic thing
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
jonnydajibba said:
I think if it's something that could be done between two Subie owners it wouldn't cost a dime, at the most basic level. And I mean if one of us could weld or have somebody weld (I do), and we both had the same color car. Essentially that would be it right? Doesn't seem too hard.

panelbonding a roof skin is acceptable...

usually just a weld in each corner and panelbond all around is beyond sufficient..
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Romero22b said:
alright bigshizzle heres a few questions

my hood has rock pits in it. they are smal but when Im close they are noticable. Best method or advise to get them out and have a clean hood.

My front bumper is very rough no paint chips it just feels like a lot of rock dents, very minor but its keeping my bumper from looking very smooth. How do I clean this up?

I have a scratch on the pass fender its deep from a chair on the highway. Can I have someone just repaint that part or does the whole fender need a repaint?

The moonroof came with a visor and I really want to take it off but it left a scratch around where it sits. how do I fix that?

Im about to purchase a front lip and it has minor curb rash whats teh best method to touch it up?
with base/clear, the area the is repaired needs base (color) and then the entire panel needs to be clearcoated.

all these problems sound pretty minor, sanding out the imperfections, priming, and refinishing sounds like the only way to go.. once the paint is compromised, refinishing is required to get it back to perfect

you could touch up the scratches, but they won't look perfect, they'll look like a t/u..

if that doesn't bother you, go get some paint from an autobody supply shop and a t/u brush
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OldNo.7Brand said:
Yo, Shizzle - check out the pics I posted here:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41171

Wondering what you think the cost for repair is gonna be. Also, should I go OEM parts or "non-stock" replacement parts? Does it really make a difference? My wallet is crying just thinking about it already ... :run:

not that bad
================

you'll need a new fender (beware of aftermarket bodyparts, they're hit or miss)

remove/repair/refinish the bumper

its silver, so you'll need to blend the color into the door/refinish door

remove handle/mirror/moulding

possible new headlamp
 

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Roughly how much would a front bumper,sideskirts,gas door,cost to be painted?

if you could do prices seperatly it would be helpful =-]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
biGshizzle79 said:
not that bad
================

you'll need a new fender (beware of aftermarket bodyparts, they're hit or miss)

remove/repair/refinish the bumper

its silver, so you'll need to blend the color into the door/refinish door

remove handle/mirror/moulding

possible new headlamp
Thanks, man ... local body shop that I trust and have been to before, are saying $2Gs for OEM parts ... we'll see.

biGshizzle79 said:
at least this wasn't you, No.7
Daaaaamn ...
 

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
subajay said:
Roughly how much would a front bumper,sideskirts,gas door,cost to be painted?

if you could do prices seperatly it would be helpful =-]

part -- shop prices -- side job prices

==========================

bumper - $200 - $100

skirts - $200 - $100

gas door - $30 - $15
 

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
Going back to the OBS question posted earlier, what would be the price to have just the lower half of the car re-sprayed? no jambs, no engine bay, just the lower panels that have that stupid-ass 2-tone paint scheme.
 

·
Registered
00rs and 97 GF8 L wagon
Joined
·
799 Posts
painting parts sucks

alright guys let me know if i got ripped off

i bought a hood for 80 bucks on ebay which included scoop vents.
yesterday i went to a body shopped to get it painted. the guy quoted me 650 to paint it because it would have to be blended to the fenders. I was like "yah right" so i thought okay i will just paint it black(i know ricey). he charges me 400 out the door(black hood). This is a quality shop, but do you guys think i made the wrong decission.
 
21 - 40 of 2128 Posts
Top