Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!

Im new to the Subie world, former Nissan enthusiast. I just bought a 97 Impreza OBS :) I have done some research as to OEM WRX exhaust fitting on GC/GF Imprezas with modification to the flanges. I will be getting a OEM WRX catback for a good deal to replace my stock 97 OBS exhaust.

For those that have done it or have knowledge it, is there anything else I need to know about using the OEM WRX exhaust??

I have my local exhaust shop that would be able to get the OEM WRX catback flange to mate with my stock catalytic converter.

Thanks

Jimmy

·
mix and match..:)
MY99 GF4 Ver6 Re-creation
840 Posts
Well some more pics for you..:)...Exhaust time this time around...
have a Stock STi Midpipe and STi "community" Genome Muffler..;)
I like it...it not obtrusive...decent sounding at WOT...and the car definitely peppier..:)

Before the install

Old Exhaust....yucky...;)

Partially intstalled...

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Looks like an easy swap. I just hope with the stock 2.2 N/A with the wrx cat back doesn't sound bad. I'd like the deep tone of these motors. Not too loud though. I got plans for a swap in the next year and don' t want to draw attention noise wise with the exhaust swap. :)

I couldn't find any WRX cat back swaps, but I think I have an idea of how the exhaust will sound.

Thanks again everyone!

Jimmy

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts
Yes sir, make sure to let us know how it comes out with sound/video clips :) Got any pics of the waggy yet?

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope to have an video clip I can add to the collection here by next Friday. :)

And by then, I'll have suspension, new headlights and tails, and maybe tint. :) I'll post pics up after that.

Scooby South, do you have any sound/video clips of your exhaust set up?

·
840 Posts
I hope to have an video clip I can add to the collection here by next Friday. :)

And by then, I'll have suspension, new headlights and tails, and maybe tint. :) I'll post pics up after that.

Scooby South, do you have any sound/video clips of your exhaust set up?
I can make you one ....as soon as my camera comes back from the shop..(Bad Firewire plug)...here hopefully by the weekend...

Bill

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting my OEM WRX exhaust on today. I will try to post up a video of it later. :D

·
840 Posts
sorry....my camera is still not back from the shop...I might have to try the ole cellio...

Bill

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I did a single high flow 2.25" CAT + a stock WRX cat-back back when my OBS was N/A & it sounded like ass.
The + was that it was quiet @ light loads, but once you floored the car it was tinny/raspy/crappy sounding.

I used the same exhaust when I first turbo'd my car & it was super-quiet.
I think these mufflers need a turbo to quiet things down.

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can imagine it wouldn't sound to great with anything else on top of the WRX catback bolt up. With just the mid pipe and axelback bolted on, it sounds nice and looks nice. The sound is a bit deeper than stock and puts out a hint of rumble. I like it.

Im going to have my exhaust guy fab up a uel header from a stock single port header to see how it will sound with it on. Not a major concern, but just curious and interested in it. Like I mentioned before, I don't plan on doing anything major performance wise to the car. It'd be a waste of money. Big plans in the future!!

Exhaust sound clip/video will be up soon! Sorry for the delay. I've got some heat shields rattling around.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
Reviving this thread, to ScoobySouth, did this exhaust come from ebay? I see some good deals on wrx exhaust on there for like $140 shipped. Is it prett quiet? I want some performance gain but I don't want the loud noise, how much louder is it then stock? (I'm 2.2)
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
you can get a better deal that 140 shipped. ive seen them go for free. 50 bucks is a solid deal but i dont think it really does that much

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I got my OEM WRX CBE for $85 shipped from a fellow member. I put another $25 down for flange mate with my cat and hanger for the axel back portion. I'd hope that none us would have have to spend over $100 on a used OEM WRX or Sti exhaust.

The sound with just the OEM WRX CBE is a bit louder than stock. Not loud though. I do feel a bit more umph, not much though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts