Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add some OEM splash guards to my 2000 Impreza 2.2L (just bought it this weekend).

I noticed that when I drive in the rain, I get a ton of crap sprayed up on the side of my car all the way up to the windows. My other cars w/ splash guards don't have this problem.

Found an eBay auction for some old 1998 OEM splash guards. There's no hardware w/ these. Price is $69.

Found another OEM kit auction, but the year range for this kit goes from 2000 all the way up to 2011 (which doesn't seem right). This kit includes hardware. Price is $91.

Subaru J1010FG000VW Mud Flap Splash Guard Kit | eBay

Found another kit w/ hardware, but they seem to have just a generic placeholder photo. This one claims that it fits 1995-2005 Impreza's. Prices ranges from $24 to $40.

Subaru Impreza Four 4 Piece Mud Splash Guard Set Black Fits Subaru | eBay

I've also looked at Rally Sport but don't like these as general-purpose splash guards. The poly ones are too expensive @ $125 for me and the plastic ones tend to curl.

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
J1010FA200 is the spash guard set for an L (fronts wont work if you have sideskirts). The part is no longer available new. It used to be like 15 dollars when it was available.

Your best bet is to go aftermarket these days.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J1010FA200 is the spash guard set for an L (fronts wont work if you have sideskirts). The part is no longer available new. It used to be like 15 dollars when it was available.

Your best bet is to go aftermarket these days.
Just found this on another site for the part # J1010FA200, which confirms that you're right:

OEM RS Impreza mud flaps on a WRX Wagon - NASIOC

However, I did find this part online for under $16.00

http://www.subarupartswebsite.com/OEMParts/subaru-153/J/J1010FA200.html

Should I pull the trigger? I don't have sideskirts, btw. My "L" sedan is Plain Jane. Since it's a "kit", I'm assuming it should include all 4 flaps plus 12 bots / washers / nuts, etc.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just ordered the kit from the link above. $16 + $10 shipping. I can always return 'em if they don't fit.

Thanks again for the actual part #. That was the magic number I needed.

(Love this site, BTW!)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb question maybe...but *does* my car have side skirts? If these were an optional accessory, I'd be very surprised because this car basically has no options beyond the base "L" trim line.

Here she is:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn! My order was accepted and then declined. Apparently the item is still in the Subaru DB but as noted above it is no longer available. :(

So, what are my best after-market options? I only need something for city / highway driving in rainy Seattle.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
The hardware is made up of a few plastic inserts with a small nut molded into them. They clamp over the tabs in your fenders and on the rear bumper. Then a long bolt (8mm) with some large washers hold the splash guards in place. My 2000 outback had a set of these and it turns out that the jdm models with aero mud guards use the same hardware so between those 2 there could be a number of resources still available to get at least the hardware new and perhaps a used set of splash guards. I think I have the splash guards somewhere but I may have thrown them out :/

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
Dumb question maybe...but *does* my car have side skirts? If these were an optional accessory, I'd be very surprised because this car basically has no options beyond the base "L" trim line.

Here she is:

No, those are just bare rockers.

This is what sideskirts look like (or some variation of the same if they're aftermarket) ... it's an actual plastic skirt below the rocker panel.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Now that eBay auction isn't looking quite so bad. The flaps aren't totally chewed up, but the hardware is missing. I think that without the hardware, I'll focus instead on a kit. Or maybe start calling junk yards.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hardware is made up of a few plastic inserts with a small nut molded into them. They clamp over the tabs in your fenders and on the rear bumper. Then a long bolt (8mm) with some large washers hold the splash guards in place. My 2000 outback had a set of these and it turns out that the jdm models with aero mud guards use the same hardware so between those 2 there could be a number of resources still available to get at least the hardware new and perhaps a used set of splash guards. I think I have the splash guards somewhere but I may have thrown them out :/
On another site, someone is offering to sell some used OEM splash guards, but said he could put together some hardware from the local hardware store.

Based on the hardware description above, I'm skeptical about whether this will work. A plastic insert with a small nut molded into them is NOT something you'll ever find at the local Ace Hardware store.

Should I wait to find a kit (or OEM parts) that also include all of the original hardware pieces?

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
I'm pretty sure i have a set, i don't have hardware though, i'll let them go for $20 bucks, pm me.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna try to track down a hardware kit since the flaps require more than just some bolts, nuts and washers. There are apparently some plastic clips as well. However, if that leads nowhere, I'll ping you. Thanks!

There's an eBay auction for a new OEM kit @ $100, including the original box & instructions, but the hardware is missing. :facepalm:

What are my aftermarket options? I don't need anything fancy, just some splash guards to keep grime off the sides of the car when it's raining. Lower profile one (like the OEM ones) are preferred since I don't want them to hang down too low when driving through snow.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the only viable aftermarket solution is to go with some Rally Armor basic mud flaps. Their $48 kit (for the basic, not urethane) flaps has all the hardware I'd need (there's a total of 46 pieces of hardware!), plus some really good installation instructions.

I didn't like these at first because I've read that they tend to curl. If that happens, maybe I can keep the Rally Armor hardware and see if some used OEM splash guards can be installed.

KIT

Basic Mud Flaps, Rally Armor

INSTRUCTIONS

http://www.rallyarmor.com/gc8_instructions/rally_armor_GC8_ur_mud_flap_mounting_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: I found an auction on eBay for an original OEM Subaru Impreza 2000 splash guard kit. The J1010FA200 kit was unfortunately missing the hardware, but the splash guards are in new / unused condition. I'm sure I can source that hardware myself or piece together something that works.

The seller wanted $100 but I offered $65; this is still A LOT for a kit that originally cost $15. But the kit has been discontinued for years, so there aren't many options for something OEM. This car is a daily driver, so I don't need rugged Rally Sport splash guards.

The seller is also including 2 additional splash guards with "SUBARU" in white lettering. These don't look like they're fit for the Impreza. Any ideas? I'm including a photo of the installation instructions since I haven't seen these online before.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking that if I'm not able to source the plastic clips myself, I can just use some stainless steel or galvanized metal nuts, washers, and bolts. Maybe also use some neoprene or rubber washers. A friend of mine speculated that the old reason Subaru used plastic nuts in the first place was to save on manufacturing costs (they're both cheaper to manufacture and they're lighter, especially if Fuji Heavy Industries is ordering 1 million of them).

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure i have a set, i don't have hardware though, i'll let them go for $20 bucks, pm me.
I'm sending you a PM. Received the box for the eBay auction today. Unfortunately, it contain splash guards that had been mixed and matched from other cars. Only 2 of the flaps (r/f and l/r) actually fit the car! So I'm getting a refund and am back to square #1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts