Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 GC8 WRX, Silver
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little back ground on the vehicle, it's a '95 JDM WRX.

Important Mods (that could affect this in any way) include -
06 STi Coilpacks
Z4 ECU

Now, keep in mind that this problem is intermittent and is impossible for me to replicate on the spot. I have somewhat limited knowledge in terms etc, so forgive me if I'm not as specific as you'd like.

I've noticed that when I go on errands (short stops here and there) every now and then my car will not like to start. It will crank and crank and crank but not fire. Eventually, it will start up just fine.
After my drive out to see family tonight, I stopped the car to let it cool off a little, and it died - no sputtering, no nothing. I thought it was weird, so I tried to start it up again and wouldn't you know it - heres my no start.
Hop in the car and I cycle my fuel pump (only do this sometimes) and noticed the pump was making a gurgly sound. Odd I figured, so I did it a few more times - eventually; it returned to normal and the car fired up like a champ.

Why, and what is causing this? Is the pump on its way out?

·
Registered
93 GC8 WRX, Silver
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up a new pump, I'll get it in shortly.

Something else to note is that whilst in traffic today my car shut off. No sputtering, no drop in idle, just a sudden shut off. Similiar to what it did last night. All of the dummy lights were on (similiar to when you stall the car, if that makes sense). It then had the same hot start issue. I sat on the side of the road for a few minutes before it finally started up.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
CEL on?

Been a while since I worked on a OBD I car, but if I remember correctly you plug in the black plugs under the dash and the CEL will flash, those flashes are the error code.

·
Registered
93 GC8 WRX, Silver
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There wasn't a CEL no. I believe the sensor was intermittently not reading correctly, and with the sensor unplugged it displayed the same issue as my "hot start".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.