Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so like most OBS owners (01 on back) we don't have the adjustable bump stops that the 02 on have= meaning my hatch rattles on every bump.

Since i have quite a few Subarus, I also have a bunch of spare parts lying around. So, I went digging in my spare parts for a solution.

( This was after buying the new side rubber pieces AND doing the shim mod to them with no effect - AND adjusting the striker loop to the lowest setting)

I found I had extra rubber stoppers from my 05 STI trunk lid. They looked about the right size and also looked like they would fit in the Molding trim clip holes.

I WAS RIGHT! AND 99% of my rattle is gone!

So- here is the how-to.

#1. Order two of part #57533FE030

#2. Remove the outer trim clips on the rear hatch molding.

#3. Find a rubber hammer. This is because the stopper probably will not go in easy. BUT DO NOT REAM OUT THE HOLE! IT IS THE RIGHT SIZE. ( I found this out the hard way.) Take the rubber piece and remove the felt from the bottom. Now hold it up to the hole and lightly whack it with the rubber hammer. It should seat into the hole and remain firm.

( Since I made the mistake of reaming out the hole, my right side rubber piece had to go into the inside spot.)

Shut trunk and drive on.

·
Registered
2k BRP wagon (sold) 06 MTBajaT
811 Posts
If this works your getting a handy man for sure! This has been a problem in my car over the past 8 years over 3 owners.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Wagon
525 Posts
I did mine yesterday, installed the 2 rubber pieces, but still a little loose. I then took off the latch on the bottom and installed it backward, worked like a charm! No rattle or noise of any kind!!

·
Registered
RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
REVIEW:

After a bit of time, I noticed I still have a small rattle. I did a bit more research and found that for some people, part of the rattle comes from the plastic cover over the inside of the hatch ( that covers over the wiper motor).

Taking off the plastic and putting down a few strips of the thin foam you get at Home Depot for windows and doors seems to help.

Also a few people have put a couple loops of electrical tape on the lower striker latch to assist in the issue.

Since the last two options are relatively cheap, I am going to include them here AND perform the modifications this weekend.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts