Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 subaru rs ej25 hybrid
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 99rs with a 2002 swap that I bought. The obd2 doesn't work and the check engine and abs lights are on this is a pic of the obd2 port wires and the ecu. Can anyone help why I can't get a connection??

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Hey guys I have a 99rs with a 2002 swap that I bought. The obd2 doesn't work and the check engine and abs lights are on this is a pic of the obd2 port wires and the ecu. Can anyone help why I can't get a connection??
Which 2002 is it? USDM or JDM? WRX or STi or Legacy or etc? There's no picture attached.

Sometimes replacing the OBD2 Port can fix it but would need to know more info.

You could also be in test mode. Make sure the two green connectors under the dash are unplugged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I actually found you guys on youtube and watched all your videos yesterday! I'm trying to post a pic but it says it's to large. The ecu is for an automatic 02 wrx I believe. I bought the gc8 from my fr8end that didn't do that great of a job on the swap. Just want the obd2 to work so I can plug in. It's tuned on open-source I don't know if that disabled use of the port???

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
It shouldn't disable use of the port, as that is the port to reflash/tune it. I'm pretty sure I've read in a swap how-to faq that the obd2 port needs to be repinned when using a wrx ecu.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ecu number is 22611af413 it says v1 in bold on top of that. Says automatic wrx ecu. I have been looking for a perfect obd2 pinout and i cant find anything online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the manuals, I have a different one but this is helpful. I still can't find wire diagram of obd2 pin out though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thats what mine looks like atm. the side red and black is the positive and the two other ones are ground. why doesnt my obd2 read? it turns on but says not supported. the obd2 is just facing down thats why the power is on the top right, its on the bottom right when spun.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
In the FSM Subaru calls that connector the "Data Link Connector" and in the 02 Impreza FSM it's connector B40. Grab the wiring section, flip to page WI-71 and you should spot the wires that need to route to the ECU. I'd unplug the ECU (and turn off the car) and check for continuity between the OBDII connector pins and the corresponding pins on the ECU connector.

A note on the FSM PDFs: It *looks* like you can search for text in them, but only some of the text is searchable. It kinda sucks flipping through pages looking for a reference to the thing you're looking for, but it beats not having it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've been trying to figure this out and it's driving me crazy, on the power wire from the obd2 to the ecu I get continuity but if I keep the probe in the obd2 and touch it against ground I get continuity as well. The car runs perfect I don't understand y this is such a problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so update. Wired in a new iwire obd2...nothing. I have power and the 2 grounds working, the greenblack wire I have continuity from the ecu to the obd2. Is my problem the ecu??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also the green black wire has 12 volts...isn't a signal wire supposed to fluctuate and be less voltage??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm assuming it is. I don't know where the previous owner got the ecu but what would be the difference

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
jdm ecu's do not seem to be obd2 compliant. It would be an explanation as to why your port does not work.
01 plus ECUs can be scanned by most scanners. Many times smog places can't because they don't recognize the JDM ID.

V5 and V6 ECUs have an OBD2 port but don't transmit data at the same rate as our US ECUs so they are effectively non OBD2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought a v2 manual 2002 wrx usdm ecu so when I get it and plug it in it will hopefully do the job! Thanks guys I'll report back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts