Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is me complaining in general so i assume it goes in the general section.
i was made fun of by some punk little F*ckers at the store tonight with a rex (mainly), integra, and prelude. this left me a little peeved so i thought i would share...
why is it that SOME people believe the 2.5RS is a poor choice compared to a rex? i mean SOME people seem to believe that the rex is in the "god's gift from subaru" to the states catagory. this is for those people:monkey:
i can't stand all the ignorant crap that gets tossed around about this car. i for one am proud to say that i own a sporty car at 20 years old. i am inclined to say that because i bought my RS for less than 15k, i've got at least 8k more than you pricks that bash on my ride with your stupid rex (not all are stupid, just the ones with stupid owners:D). if you bought it for speed then just remember... 8 grand lets me smear your azz with the turbo i could have. 23k for new rex vs 15k spent on RS with an 8k twin turbo that works. do the math.
in closing i would like to say that as subaru owners we are, to my knowledge, the most closely knit group of enthusiests (think that's how you spell it) in north america. PLEASE stop pretending us 2.5 owners don't exist anymore (specificly the other site and on the street) and that you're better than us or any other car out there. remember that we go out and represent the subaru society just as much as you do. PLEASE try not to make the rest of us look bad with ignorant behavior and comments.
there, i feel much better now. funny how that works.

edit: i have a 2000 BRP 2.5RS with minimal mods

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why give a crap what anybody thinks? You said he's really young so you know its not like he paid for his car. He's basically driving around mommy and daddy's car. You also have to keep in mind that alot of new WRX owners probably didn't even realize the WRX is close to ten years old already and the model that they bought was one of the worst selling Impreza models Subaru has ever sold. That is going by world wide sales figures not the US figures. Don't let him get to you. If he knew anything at all he would have thanked you for buying your car and showing SOA enough interest in the damn things to bring the WRX to the US finally.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally think if someone cannot appreciate the beauty in all cars, be it Honda, Subaru, Acura, Ford, GMC, etc., then you've got no right to insult someone else on their choice of car. When I meet someone I like to see what they have done to it, and then recognize the countless hours they have probably spent researching, installing, and tweaking it. Even if they did not pay for it, they had a hand it making it what it is. And for people with cars that they keep completely stock, I also applaud that decision, as sometimes that is harder to do than to mod a car.

I should know, I have a fairly modified RS and a bone stock Typhoon. Both are my pride and joys. If you feel the need to insult me, my cars, or my choices made about them, it just makes you (them) look ignorant. Which always makes me a little sad, because those people cannot see past the surface of what is really going on, nor will I take the time to share what knowledge I have of car, tuning, modifying, etc., and who knows, maybe I know something that could make a big difference to that person. Guess they will have to find out the hard way, just like I did, we all did, so many times before.

So, respect what is out there and you get respect. Disrespect and you get that right back. :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
sad reality is that the demographic of the Subaru owner has and is changing...

when i first got my car... everyone subaru involved was of the same mind set... same mind frame... and everyone got along really really well!! :)

introduce the wrx :( and that has changed...
dont get me wrong... there are a lot of good "new to subaru" owners out there thanks to the wrx... but... there are some that dont know the make.. the models and have no "love" for the car...

frustrating...
but i loves ya :D :checkit:

jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Subie Gal said:
sad reality is that the demographic of the Subaru owner has and is changing...

when i first got my car... everyone subaru involved was of the same mind set... same mind frame... and everyone got along really really well!! :)

introduce the wrx :( and that has changed...
dont get me wrong... there are a lot of good "new to subaru" owners out there thanks to the wrx... but... there are some that dont know the make.. the models and have no "love" for the car...

frustrating...
but i loves ya :D :checkit:

jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
i agree what jamie said. the impreza crowd seems a lot different after the introduction of the WRX. every meet that i went after the WRX wasn't like the meets for pre-WRX days. and what james said is right, if the person is a true enthusist, then it doesn't matter what car they drive. i wave to mini owners, i even talked to a mustang owner at a gas station.

and zoinkssooby, just forget about that guy. he's just a little punk.

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Ahhh, this makes me sad. I wasn't even an Impreza owner or involved in anything before the WRX, so I don't exactly know how it was, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea, because I know exactly how you guys are and how the WRX owners are. It's a different world. I just can't talk to the majority of WRX owners. I feel like they don't even care what I have to say, or are interested in anything, but that's completely different with other RS owners.

But this doesn't apply to them all. There are a few RS owners that don't give a shit, and a whole ton of WRX owners that really do. So yeah, I don't even know what I am talking about anymore. This has gone way off topic... Time to wrap this up. haha. Sorry.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know here in south central pa and md there are a minimal number of rs owners (5 including me) and I'm seeing more and more wrx owners. Everytime I pass a RS owner they always wave, you never get that from a wrx .....never. The other day I was in circuit city and I pulled in next to a 2000 rs silverthorne and when I came back out the guy was sitting in the car. I looked over and he was looking at me. We both gave the nod of approval to each other and we drove off. It's just an unspoken bond between rs owners and that's something that doesn't seem to be shared with rs and wrx owners. All the people driving the wrx's are always younger backward hat wearing pubestach punks. I can't even believe I'm saying this because I'm only 22 and I'm sure many of them aren't too much younger than me. The thing is you know 90% of these guys didn't buy the car they are bragging up. I know around here parents tend to purchase some damn nice cars for their kids. My first car was an 85 s-10 pickup. I drove that pos till it blew up and when I saw my RS on the lot I knew I had to have it and I had a job so I went and bought the car. I didn't want to have a nice car that my parents got me. There's just something to saying that YOU bought the car and that YOU make the payments. It just kinda bugs me to see these cars that are all decked out and you know that the car was an xmas gift or a grad gift. WRX's are not a first vehicle, it's a vehicle you earn with your OWN hard earned cash. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
27 Posts
RS25.com said:
I personally think if someone cannot appreciate the beauty in all cars, be it Honda, Subaru, Acura, Ford, GMC, etc., then you've got no right to insult someone else on their choice of car. When I meet someone I like to see what they have done to it, and then recognize the countless hours they have probably spent researching, installing, and tweaking it. Even if they did not pay for it, they had a hand it making it what it is. And for people with cars that they keep completely stock, I also applaud that decision, as sometimes that is harder to do than to mod a car.

I should know, I have a fairly modified RS and a bone stock Typhoon. Both are my pride and joys. If you feel the need to insult me, my cars, or my choices made about them, it just makes you (them) look ignorant. Which always makes me a little sad, because those people cannot see past the surface of what is really going on, nor will I take the time to share what knowledge I have of car, tuning, modifying, etc., and who knows, maybe I know something that could make a big difference to that person. Guess they will have to find out the hard way, just like I did, we all did, so many times before.

So, respect what is out there and you get respect. Disrespect and you get that right back. :D
Wow, that was deep man. :) Also, very true.

But along with the first rant, you're right... if I spent the same amount of money on my almost mint condition $8000, 2000 RS, I could smear basically every WRX on the road... unless someone did some crazy mods to it.

But kids will be kids, let 'em go... they'll learn... or die, assuming the next person may not be so nice.

Scott

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
4,231 Posts
RS25.com said:
The only people I usually don't get a long with are people who are just into cars because it's "cool." It's true that some people put a lot of time and effort into their cars, but some don't. They pick up the newest "in-car", buy what looks cool in the super street ad, and go in for the "import life style." Screw that, my idea of a good car meet is me, my car, and an open empty winding road. I try to respect everyone I meet, but nothing ticks me off more than going to a car club where no one is in it for the cars...

As for WRX owners, the unfortunate thing is that it is a fast straight line car. As much as a lot of import owners talk about handling and such, most just care about straight line power. I can't tell you how many times I've rambled off ALL my mods only to have someone come back with, "so only an intake and exhaust?" Or I'll get the token, you should get coilovers as they explain how much better their civic handles with $150 ebay coilovers. *sigh*

JC

·
Registered
646 Posts
You also have to keep in mind that there are two kinds of car people. Those who modify a car themselves and those that pay somebody else to do it cause they know nothing and refuse to learn. Somebody who does their own work will sit around and talk mods with you covering everything from a new Corvette to your solid end links and sway bar on your car. People that pay for things to be done should never say that they've modified their car. All they did was write the check and last time I checked being able to write a check doesn't mean you know shit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
now i do fall into part of these categories, being i am sixteen and my parents did pay for my RS, however anything i do to my car is for me and to benifit my driving experience. my parents did pay for my car but i most pay for anything else i want to do to my car and i am more than willing to do the work on my car and enjoy my time and money spent trying make my car the best car it can be, not just striaght line but so i can enjoy the few and far apart curves of chicago driving... .

Being that i live in one of the richer parts of the country some kids in my area are getting some crazy cars for their sweet sixteen. Two people i know got a s2000's for their bdays and another guy in my school got a 350z like the day it came out. Now i am not judging their apreciation for their cars but i do know that they will never enjoy their cars as much as i enjoy everything about my RS, including discovering a leak in my radiator and learning to drive stick on the 2.5rs

·
Registered
539 Posts
well i'm glad to hear that you atleast put money into your car. i know a guy around here that was a doctor's son and he had a street legal supra that would do mid 9's. stupid bastard wrapped it around a tree and while he was in the hospital they had another being built up for him. that's the type of shit that pisses me off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Funny, what makes the WRX a wrx? A turbo? The RS is the WRX every where else around the world it just doesn't have that damn turbo. So, do what I did. Get a big huge turbo and smoke em. I get the same crap. Doooy Duuuuh... is that one of those WRX cars? I hear they are fast and have a turbo. Big damn deal... you don't know sheist, close your mouth.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I always get that shit too. It's usually some jackass driving a busted up berretta or some pimped, aka riced, out honda. They usually say "is that car as fast as they say it is? duhhh" Too which I usually respond "yeah it is" and ignore them. Stupid ignorant people............don't talk cars to me if your driving a busted up piece of shit or your moms car.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
N/A said:
You also have to keep in mind that there are two kinds of car people. Those who modify a car themselves and those that pay somebody else to do it cause they know nothing and refuse to learn. Somebody who does their own work will sit around and talk mods with you covering everything from a new Corvette to your solid end links and sway bar on your car. People that pay for things to be done should never say that they've modified their car. All they did was write the check and last time I checked being able to write a check doesn't mean you know shit.
Bingo! I too have noticed that I tend to get along with and have somthing to talk about with people who have done their own wrenching. I have met and hang with some real good subaru friends around here since I got mine, and we all do our own wrenching. (future clutch install has me freaked though)

Most of the people with high performance modded imports (not all) that pay labor for everything done to them are
A: arrogant and unapproachable, regardless of what they drive
B: are imbarrased that they talk the talk but can't walk shit and get thier ego crushed because I can do things to my car that they can't.
D: will actually knock down a self modded car as "a garage mystery" since "everybody knows professional mechanics are more compitent than a shade tree"

So you are right Zoink:
That dick in the rex probably thinks he is some shit because he has a turbo in his car and is too ignorant to know you can put a turbo in your car and OWN him, or he feels inferrior because HE KNOWS you have a better looking car than he does! :p

Probably both.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing:

I just laugh back at those guys.

If they say (and they always do) "hugh, ugh, wanna race?"
I Say to ANYONE in ANY CAR "Sure, for pink slips? Let's go up the crest highway [2 lane mountian road] at night when it's frozen. 30 miles up, 30 miles down" It's right then that they look at me like I'm nuts. (I lived up there for 6 years)

I wish sombody would for once have the balls to take and loose that race, I could sell their car back to them and use the $ for Subaru parts! :spin:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
u know, we actually have a nice twisty (double S) around here that says "caution 10mph" that i can push 45 in a slide. but, fukk em. that avo kit has my eye all over it. then maybe we'll see since they probably won't ask to look under the hood.
this is juz me spoutin out my azz though. :D

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
zoinkssooby said:
.....that avo kit has my eye all over it..... :D [/QUOTE

I can't decide if I want to save for the AVO kit or start piecing together a kit from hand-me-down parts. The AVO is undoubtedly better, but piecing one together probably would be a loit cheaper. I'm not sure if I have the patience to save 4 grand for a kit.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,962 Posts
i dont know about you, but the only thing that wrx has going for it is little bit of performance, it's an OK sports car, but looks ugly as sin, every debate i had with a wrx owner involved: I am faster then you, you drive an old car you suck. And on my part: you got an overpriced dodge neon with foglights and a turbo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts