Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 540 Posts

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Thanks!

My suspension really is not setup anywhere near correct... the shop that did my alignment previously basically lied and never even touched it. I still have positive camber in the rear and the ride height is not setup correctly. I'm just going to wait and get some awesome camber plates to replace the group n mounts then drop it off at TIC to get corner balanced and aligned in the early spring. That should help a little bit, haha.

I think I'm going to go with a South Bend clutch... but I'm not sure if I should keep the RS transmission in it now. I feel like there is a chance I'll buy this awesome clutch then break the transmission. I love the RS transmission gears though and have all of the shifter stuff upgraded.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
If you want it to be a racecar, quit buying parts for the car, and start buying tools to make it faster.

Like corner scales. And a camber gauge. And the tools for a string alignment. :)

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Coming from someone whos planning a wrx swap and build on my gc.... this is a very inspiring build to say the least! Its like looking at what I want out of my car, only white. Simply gorgeous, if Im ever in the ohio area I definitely wanna check it out.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Thanks, I appreciate it! You are more than welcome to check it out if you ever visit Cincy. Hopefully the warm weather comes early so I can get the clutch and flywheel replaced. It'll be nice to experience the car with a full boost tune and a non-slipping clutch, haha

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
If you want it to be a racecar, quit buying parts for the car, and start buying tools to make it faster.

Like corner scales. And a camber gauge. And the tools for a string alignment. :)
This. I'll be buying
with a few of my buddies to keep costs to a minimum.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Update..

Purchased a 06 WRX Exedy OEM replacement clutch and a ACT ProLite flywheel. As soon as the salt is washed away I'll be having Turn in Concepts install them. I'm excited especially since I haven't been able to really do much with the slipping RS clutch since the motor was swapped.

Probably will then get a Grimmspeed three port solenoid and get this thing finally tuned for full boost. *very excite*

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Clutch install went great at TIC. Eric was able to modify a 06 WRX shifter fork to work with the clutch. No more slipping at all.

Decided to load a stage 2 base map until I get a three port boost solenoid which will require a more detailed tune. Car is running great on the base map hitting a target boost of 16 psi. The prolite flywheel really helps the motor rev quick.

Here is a short clip.

Decided to put some stickers on the back window... not usually a sticker person but they actually don't stand out too much.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Stock RS trans broke trying to do a drag pass last month. I'm not sure what exactly caused it but I launched at maybe 2-3k and then went to shift into second and it just grinded. Had the car towed and putting a replacement RS transmission in this weekend to hold me over until I can get my hands on a 6 speed. I honestly don't know if I didn't shift correctly or if the trans just had enough.

If everything works out on this transmission swap this weekend I'll be going forward with upgrading the entire cooling system with a upgraded Koyo radiator and two Spal fans just like this by Boogaloo. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t179170-ultimate-radiator-solution.html

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
did you slip the clutch at all? i can definitely imagine a drag launch with a WRX engine to toast a RS trans. oh well. thought about doing a partial upgrade to LGT 5spd?
I honestly don't think so. I might have shifted too slowly while going into second. It happened so fast.

My friend Colin (HOYS on here) is giving me his old RS trans so I'm just going to run it until I do a 6 speed. I'd rather just upgrade to a 6 speed this winter and not have to worry about it breaking as easily.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Big thanks to Colin for giving me his old RS trans. Tested it by driving up to St. Louis for Scoobapalooza. Also had TIC put in a OEM radiator for now and the car is running great. I need to get rear MSI camber plates to fix my alignment and it'll be ready for some autocross runs. Until then I'll be saving up for a 6-speed. Oh.. and I'm getting a Tomei Ti catback exhaust at the end of the month :)

141 - 160 of 540 Posts