Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 360 of 540 Posts

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Had my car detailed over the weekend by a buddy of mine who lives on the same street, super convenient haha. He did a great job, this is probably the cleanest the car has ever been of the 9 years I've owned it.

Plus 15 HP+ for this weekend

Also added some roll bar padding from Pegasus Racing. My left leg kept hitting the bar on long right handers giving me a bruise on my leg -_-

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Day 2 only got one session in due to rain but even for a damp track.. it had great grip. The video below is from the third day where we had perfect weather. It was a huge honor to be able to drive on the track. Can't wait to do it again next year. After the incar video below, there are a bunch of different angles taken. Enjoy!

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Did you get on track when it was fairly wet? Those tires were great in wet when they had some tread
It wasn't extremely wet... I'd say almost like a light sprinkle but after I went back to the garage area it down poured haha. IMS did a amazing job attempting to try the track. They drove trucks around the course just like a actual professional race car series was there minus the jet driers. They told us those cost $10k/per hour. IMS almost went and bought pumps to drain water out of two areas but at that point the day was already over.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
So apparently one of my front Centric rotors cracked. Going to replace them today and work on getting some ducting from the Prodrive foglights onto the rotor (which is why I bought them in the first place)

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Even with good cooling, track pads, good fluid, and decent rotors the stock WRX brakes aren't very well suited for track days. The smaller wrx rotor can only handle so much heat.

If you are looking for a cheap brake up grade the 05-09 legacy GT front calipers and rotors are almost as large as STi brembos. They are 315mm x 30mm (Sti is 326mm x 30mm). The only down side is they are pretty heavy as they are a steel floating caliper.

I believe the 2015 wrx went to this brake set up as well.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
How long did they last?
4 track days

But honestly a track day at Indy is pretty rough on them. Front straight I'm hitting 130-140, back straight I'm hitting 120-130 and at turn 12 I was at around 80-90 all within 2 minutes.

Even with good cooling, track pads, good fluid, and decent rotors the stock WRX brakes aren't very well suited for track days. The smaller wrx rotor can only handle so much heat.

If you are looking for a cheap brake up grade the 05-09 legacy GT front calipers and rotors are almost as large as STi brembos. They are 315mm x 30mm (Sti is 326mm x 30mm). The only down side is they are pretty heavy as they are a steel floating caliper.

I believe the 2015 wrx went to this brake set up as well.
I already bought a extra set of carbotech pads so once I run through those, I'll be upgrading. I will probably just do a 4/2 pot setup... I would love to run a serious big brake kit but it is going to cost a ton of money to get TE37's in the size I need plus that means tires will cost more. Thought about brembros but I've heard stories of everyone's caliper bolts being stuck when they change rotors. Luckily WRX napa rotors are less than $70 for the pair, haha.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Most of the problems with the brembo bolts are because there is a typo in the service manual, it says to torque the bolts to 114.3 ft/lbs, it was supposed to be 114.3nm which is only around 80ft/lbs. There is also some cause for concern in high salt environments for galvanic corrosion of the AL caliper with the steel bolts.

I don't really recommend the 4/2 pots for track duty, the front rotor is the same size as what you have. Like I said a cheap upgrade is the 05-09 Legacy GT fronts with Legacy H6 rears. They will perform better than 4/2 pots(you will also start to see pad knock back on the 4/2 pots due to them being a fixed caliper). There is a wide variety of pads available for the LGT calipers.

Bonus points, the B9 tribeca caliper is the same as the 05-09 LGT so there is a 5x114.3 (Tribeca is 5x114.3) rotor available for them too if you ever upgrade the hubs to the better bearings (5x100 bearing don't like track duty and exacerbate the pad knock back of the fixed calipers). I think Turn in Concepts was only getting about 3 track days out of the 5x100 front wheel bearings on their 2004 STi.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Ahh.. wasn't aware the rotor was the same size on the 4/2 pots.

I already have the Legacy H6 rears, I did those immediately when I took the drums off.

TIC actually replaced my driver front wheel bearing after I did a track day at Putnam Park, haha. I have a feeling I'll need to change to 5x114 specifically for the better hubs as advised by many people.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
16,997 Posts
LGT setup is really good, not as huge of a pad selection as Brembo/4Pot but they are a cheap upgrade, however they weigh a **** ton. Granted you have much higher corner entry speeds than i do, i have 4 pots with DBA 5K's and Carbotech XP10s, and they are the beez neez. Much lighter than a LGT setup or brembo with stock rotors, they take all the abuse i can throw at them and i ran all last year and this year on the same set of pads and rotors. I use the Carbotech 1520 on the street but XP10s on track, i couldnt be happier with the setup, cheaper/lighter than most options under $2k plus my 5 spokes fit for winter. You can buy used 4 pots for a few hundred bucks, buy a seal kit, good rotors and pads for under a grand.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
If you run Nissan 4 pot calipers in the front (adapter required) you get the thicker LGT rotor with 4 pot caliper performance. All for around the same price as a set of Subaru 4 pot calipers.

341 - 360 of 540 Posts