Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But heres my story anyway.

Back in late 1998 I read an article in one of my muscle car mags that spoke of the WRX from Japan beating up on a trans am.

I fell in love immediatly and was at the subey dealer 20 minutes later.Guess what.........No WRX so I looked at and drove the 2.5 and liked it but didnt feel like a V8 killer.So the salesman told me that the WRX was gonna be coming soon so i began waiting...................Here we are 3 or so years later and I go to drive the WRX.

BLECK!!!!!

More turbo lag than any car I ever drove!!!

So what to do.The new 2.5 is only a 4 door.My search began and now 6 months later I have my 2.5 RS.

H

·
0 Posts
Ha. You should have gotten the WRX. I talked to a shop owner who installed the COBB/APS stage zero (or was it stage 1?) kit and for under $4000 it eliminated the turbo lag, as well as made crazy-INSANE power from about 1500rpm on up. :)
Oh well.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So lets see here .........24 grand for the car plus another say 3 grand for thos cobb kit.Thats 28 grand.A new RS goes for around 18 grand now.Add a Stage 3 turbo setup for 4200 and the car will have in the area of 275 to 300 horses at the flywheel and still cost less than the WRX cost you.:eek:

H

·
0 Posts
275-300 horses at the flywheel for 4200 from an ej25? Is that stock internals? Stock tranny? Is that price installed?

Seems to me if my memory serves correctly, anything much over 230hp on an RS tranny and you have to pussy-foot it around in the low gears to avoid snapping things.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RS and it's not going anywhere, but if I were looking to get a new car, it'd be one that needed the least intrusive modifying.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kit I saw was 4200 for the turbo with 7-9 PSI total boost top mount intercooler and all engine managment and safeguard assesories.No install for that price.The power gains were quoted to me on a car with exhauust and high flow cat.(Whether the numbers are true or not I wont know till I get the kit myself)

On the tranny subject...........Isn't Sport compact car running 295hp at the wheels on their impreza with the stock tranny?

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
And who hasn't seen a used RS for around $14k? Not 18k. I couldn't even get people to call when I tried to sell my car at $17k!!! :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 18000 dollar price tag I was referring to was for a new RS not a used one.I got mine for 10 grand so I have plenty of room to upgrade the car.Also........If you consider the shear horsepower and the amount of abuse put into the sport compact car impreza then you have to give alot of credit to the subey tranny.I dont think there will be much trouble with a car that has about 100 less horses at the flywheel.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Figure installed cost is ~$6000, on any aftermarket turbo. Don't go off on me, I put a "~" in front of that $6000.

So, apples to apples, a new RS with turbo and install is about $24,000. Number look familiar to anyone? That's a WRX with a bottom end (read, no lag) and an additional 40 ponies if you pull 277 HP out of it, and the same price.

Thanks to all you pioneers on this club who were around when people wondered if that setup would last for longer than 10,000 miles.

H

·
0 Posts
A WRX configured like I would buy one would cost me $22,755 plus tax and license. That's base invoice plus destination, the auto mirror and alarm. If you're smart, you're not going to pay more than $24k for a WRX. :)

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Thank you, hor. I was figuring $18,000 for invoice on an RS. I suppose there's another $435 or something like that for destination?

18, plus about $500 for destination, plus $6000 for a turbo, equals $24,500. No lag, big smiles.

Am I saying this is the only way to go, and trumps the snot out of a WRX? No. But it's what I'd do vs buying a new WRX. And just about trumps the snot out of the WRX. Sorry, the smile factor was bigger for me with the immediate power of the RS than the top end of the WRX.

jetfan-
Dude a new WRX lists for over 24K.Thats stock.Where are you going to get a new wrx and those mods for 24K?
Were you trying to say RS? I wouldn't buy a WRX only to replace most of the turbo components.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Streetman said:
Figure installed cost is ~$6000, on any aftermarket turbo. Don't go off on me, I put a "~" in front of that $6000.

So, apples to apples, a new RS with turbo and install is about $24,000. Number look familiar to anyone? That's a WRX with a bottom end (read, no lag) and an additional 40 ponies if you pull 277 HP out of it, and the same price.

Thanks to all you pioneers on this club who were around when people wondered if that setup would last for longer than 10,000 miles.

My reference was to this quote above.No dealer in the us will sell a WRX for anywhere close to invoice.Your're paying at least 700 to 1000 over.Invoice on a base WRX 5 speed is almost 23k.That puts you already 4000 higher than a base RS 5 speed would cost.A ludespeed stage 3 kit is 4150 with all the parts needed to bolt it on.Ludespeed promises 300hp at the flywheel with this setup and low 13 sec 1/4 mile times.That makes a wrx look like a mule.I'll still take a RS.

H

·
0 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that dealers will sell at invoice, now that the hype has died down for the most part. Remember the IMBA agreement? Any subaru at invoice cost? It's up to the dealer if they want to honor it, but if they want business, they'll do it. Just for selling the car they get $400, plus I believe they get their 3% holdback at the end of the year as well. It's not like they're not making a thousand bucks.

The economy in my neck of the woods is supposed to lag behind the rest of the country, according to the news, which means that it'll be crappy here longer. Dealers feel that too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your willingness to bet doesn't mean dealers will be willing to drop the price.I sold cars for 5 years and have several friends in the buisiness.They average 1200 bucks gross profit right now.Considering that the car has barely over 2k in markup that is darn good.Also,holdback is not part of the dealers true profit.It is there to cover a dealers bank exspencews for the floor plan of cars on the lot.They dont own any of their inventory.The bank that pays their floor plan does.And the holdback is money used to cover that interest they pay to the bank.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
hey jet, we're on the same side.

I've seen dealers go as low as $400 above invoice. Add in destination, and you have about $24,000 for that base WRX 5 speed. Doesn't matter though. You'll pay both the price over invoice, and destination on an RS too. The difference in price is $5000.

Can someone bolt a turbo on a new RS, and make it reliable for $5000. Yes, barely. But, you'll get more HP, and no turbo lag, comparably.

Wow, I'm talking myself into buying a new RS. Why not?

OK, this has been beaten like a rented mule now.

H

·
0 Posts
What it boils down to is that there are two kinds of salesmen. The ones who want to do business, and the sleazy bastards who want to scalp the customer. I know that the IMBA agreement is now voluntary, but if the salesman wants my business, they're going to sell the car at invoice. And there are several salesmen in the area who want to make the sale.

I'm fairly confident that in order to get the vehicle as I'd want it, I'd have to order it. Most of the spec vehicles on the lots have a lot more options than I'd want. So bank fees would be negligible. The dealer's cost would come down to comission for the salesman, plus labor for the PDI. And when you've got lube-tech's doing the PDI at $7/hr, it's not very costly.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anybody can walk off the street and sign on the dotted line for a WRX off the lot @ invoice price. I realize it might take a little footwork and waiting, but it can be done. The WRX craze seems to have died down a little, and everybody is all excited about the Evo, which is expected by the end of the year (I'll believe it when I see it).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts