Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great deal on a 93 sedan 2.0. Head gaskets are messed up. And if I get it, I'm not sure what to do. Replace the head gaskets, or swap it?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
We never got a 2.0L Impreza. Is this an Impreza? We got a 2.0l Turbo Legacy.

·
Registered
93 IMPREZA L
430 Posts
I highly doubt the US ever got that motor. I know for a fact that I've only seen them in the European market. Kind of strange you have that motor

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I'm searching around and I don't think there is even a 2.0L N/A until 1996 and that was for the EU market.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
We never got a 2.0L Impreza. Is this an Impreza? We got a 2.0l Turbo Legacy.
Not quite. We never got a 2.0 period. You are thinking of the 2.2 turbo. There are importers who have brought them in though. It is possible that the shortblock was swapped out with one.

OP - If you can afford to pay somebody to swap it then you can afford to buy a '02 wrx. That is what I would do. Unless you think you can swap it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has 280*** miles on it. And I'm thinking of replacing the gaskets and wait till it dies again to swap it. Or should I swap it right away? I'm getting it for $800

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
If you're doing the work yourself, then you can swap the headgaskets if you want. If you're paying someone to do it, might as well just have them drop in younger 1.8L.

Also is this a 1.8L FWD or AWD?

Edit: $800 for that car is not a good deal at all. I wouldn't give them more than $400.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
more the battery+ fuel cell+ cage+ better seat= demo derby car

lets be honest it most likely is rusted to hell and if it is for get it if you have any plane past getting from point A to B and not even sure about getting started at point A and making it to point be without a tow truck

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Way too much hassle. The ppl who have done it, never want to do it again. Also to source the parts to do it all, you can just buy a newer AWD Impreza.

I'd suggest just finding something new for like $3-4k. That'd probably be how much you're going to dump into this car to make it AWD and driveable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts