Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a little problem that's just started to surface that I was hoping I could get some help with. Basically, at certain points, it feels like my car loses power. It's like it's hesitating, but it only happens once I reach a ceratain load. It's not based on RPM and not directly based on throttle position, but it seems to come on when I ask the engine to do a little extra work. It's kind of hard to explain, but it seems to be based on the load on hte engine.

I also know the thing has bad rings on one cylinder (burns a ton of oil and has lower compession) but I don't think this is related, as it's a lot more recent. I know about the things in the sticky in this forum, but I'm very stretched for money at the moment (hence the shit engine) and want to replace as little as possible until the whole motor comes out.

·
Premium Member
00 V7 RSTi racingbrake4pots
1,023 Posts
When's the last time you changed the fuel filter? Have you run it super low on fuel recently? Possibly O2 sensor problem also. CEL?

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run it pretty low on fuel recently, but not overly recently, so I doubt that I sucked some crap up. The fuel filter is pretty new, I changed it maybe 7k miles ago at the most, probably more like 3-4k. I had kind of considered the O2, but I thought that should throw a code, which it hasn't. I'm kind of wondering about the PCV valve, maybe it's sticking? At least I can pull that off quickly later and check.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I have had a bad O2 sensor without a code, though it usually does throw one.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, in that case, I'll probably look at replacing that if the PCV valve checks out. Any idea why it would only happen under a certain load though? And it also does seem to be all the time, just sporadically.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
PCV valve is super cheap, so you might as well do that anyhow. If it is the O2 sensor, it will get worse. The first time I had a bad O2, it would sorta hesitate at under load sometimes, I think from not getting enough fuel. I also got better and better fuel economy (running lean). It got worse and worse, until it bucked and wouldn't idle. At that point, I unplugged the sensor and the car ran fine in failsafe mode, though this is not a good thing to do for long. Replaced the sensor and it was fine. Do you have any exhaust mods? My EL headers seemed to make thosesensors burn out every year or so

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No exhaust mods, or anything engine/powerwise, but it's got plenty of miles, so I don't really doubt the 02 sensor. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts