Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i'm 16 and looking for a car desperatly. They have several loyal's and d/l's in the paper. Anyone have any tech specs on these??? Are they worth buying and having alittle fun with. All i know is that i definetly want to drive a subaru.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
those cars are gettin pretty old and will need a lot of maintenance...

for $2k-4k you can get a 93-96 impreza and have a lot more life left in it... and more fun too imho...

even the 1.8L FWD impreza's can be fun :D

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
You can have fun with anything man. Get an RX if you can, at least get a turbo. They are slow cars either way, of course you can mod them. :biggest:

Don't let Jamie sway you, if you find one in good shape it won't need much if any work besides the usual maintenance. The old subies are tanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What's your budget?

I've got a few ideas, but I'd like to know what you've got to work with.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i used to have a 88 GL wagon. it had some rust, and had a few brake problems, but other then that, it was 86bhp of fun :) it certainly never left me stranded anywhere. there was also a turbo in 89 that had ~115bhp IIRC.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have 5 thousand of my hard earned money. I just saw an add in the paper for a 95k outback, which looks promising. I would prefer to get an older impreza..but they r a rare find here in south jersey..or so it appears to be. I am still waiting for this 86' sciracco to get check out. I heard they r a blast to drive. But i'd rather get a subaru. Any kind.. Wish i could find one of those older turbo legacy's. That would be real nice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hmmmm....Sciroccos are pretty cool, but I've heard that they've had a few electrical gremlins.

Your $5k budget should get you something nice. Shoot for a AWD Legacy. You should be able to get something nice between '90 and '96. Or something more recent with higher miles. Does Autotrader have anything in your area?

Oh, and as JC posted, you could always use Ebay. :):D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh, I found this:

1993 Impreza

Looks like its nearby to where you live. Its an auto, but the 1.8 is a great car to start with. I miss my 1.8 even though I've got an RS now. :) Plus you can fit most all Impreza parts to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually got my car out of South Jersey and brought it down here to NC to its new home.

But, as the owner of... let me count 'em... 7 Subarus... I would say the best car for you would be a 1987 RX turbo... I think its about 115 hp with the turbo. But man, it feels faster... real fun little car.

But when you're buying CHECK FOR RUST... older subarus are real prone to rust in the rear it seems like the most. But check all around...

Scott
www.SMPolishing.com

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really want to drive a manual. i dunno, i just think its important to learn how to drive one. Might as well me my frist. PLus , i feel a manual is "real" driving. anyways, i been looking. I might go look @ this 96 outback. The guy wants 5k or bo. It has over 100+ miles on it. Not too bad.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
xtorted-legacy:

Keep saving! Even i don't have a car yet. I want a MY04 RS though. Just keep saving. I'll get my permit this fall when I'm 18. Costs like $10 or so for the paper work. Then 6 months of wait for the offical license.

Keep saving!
FuJi

·
Registered
27 Posts
I disagree, I don't think a beginning driver needs a car like an 04 RS... That car should come once driving is mastered so he won't hop in the brand new car and tear it to pieces because he doesn't know how to drive yet. Buy something cheap like you're doing, learn to drive well, then progress to faster... less forgiving cars.

Scott

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Matt said:
Hmmmm....Sciroccos are pretty cool, but I've heard that they've had a few electrical gremlins.
Yes, they do. Be prepared to replace your windshield seal (the rubber) and your fusebox. Not hard, just time consuming.

Okay, can be hard if you have to replace the pins from the wire harness plugs. I learned how to crimp wires because of my Scirocco, and bought special tools just for that car. :eek:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"xtorted-legacy:

Keep saving! Even i don't have a car yet. I want a MY04 RS though. Just keep saving. I'll get my permit this fall when I'm 18. Costs like $10 or so for the paper work. Then 6 months of wait for the offical license. "

Well, actually, i really want a MY00-MY01 Rs..i like the old body style....:) and i think i am just gonna find a beater, until i get some real money saved up. But, i wish i could get an RS..i'd be soo happy..lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts