Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my profile is a lie right now
<--------------- i dont' have a subaru yet, yet is the operative word
but im looking at one right now and would like to kno what u guys think i should ask and anything i should kno about the 99-00 impreza and if theres nething i should look for when i go to check it out.

any help is welcome and by the way i love this club

p.s. please no flames, at least give me my firs tpost b4 i get flamed. :flame:

-thanx

·
Registered
410 Posts
:flame:

{beavis voice}FIRE....hehe...fire is cool...hehe{/beavis voice} :D

Welcome, Silver Saddle. There are quite a few minor differences between the 98-02 2.5RS models. Most of these (at least the 98-01 differences) are on the Info & FAQs section of my website (URL is in my signature).

Main differences (applies to 2.5RS models only):
v4 front bumper (small foglights)
16x7" gold 5-spoke rims
hot wire MAF
DOHC Phase I engine (some later ones were Phase II but still DOHC)
10.0:1 compression (?)
Diffs (F/C/R): Open/Viscous/Open
Coupe only

v5 front bumper (large foglights)
16x7" silver 5-spoke rims
hot film MAF (fragile but they've recently had a recall for them)
SOHC Phase II engine
9.7:1 compression
Coupe only

00/01
v5 front bumper (large foglights)
16x7" silver 6-spoke rims
MAP sensor
SOHC Phase II engine
10.0:1 compression
Diffs (F/C/R): Open/Viscous/Viscous
Coupe/Sedan

complete body redesign...looks like WRX without the hood scoop and foglights.
16x6.5" silver rims (same rims as the WRX, right?)(I believe the wagon has steel wheels)
MAP sensor
SOHC Phase II engine
10.0:1 compression
Sedan/Wagon (wagon is badged 2.5TS)

The 02 model is also heavier due to the redesigned (but stiffer) chassis.

If anyone can fill in the missing info on the '02 2.5RS/TS models I'd appreciate it. :D

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
Warp3 said:

Main differences (applies to 2.5RS models only):
v4 front bumper (small foglights)
I don't think the 98MY bumper was a version 4 bumper. I thought the V$ was very similar to the V5 and that the 98MY bumper was only for the North American market. This is the same bumper on all the Impreza L, and OBS models from 98-01.

If you plan on modifying your intake a 00 or 01 would be better so that you don't have to fuss with the MAF sensor plus you would be getting the better rear diff.

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
ah ha u don't get flammed here like i-club. go with the 00-01 models. they have new and better tech. *i think*

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
yep, the 98 did not have a v4 bumper, it had an OBS bumper. the v4 is similar to the v5, except that it has slats in the radiator opening and on the outside of the foglights there are three sections instead of two, with the top, most elongated one housing the turn signal.

·
Registered
410 Posts
10th Warrior said:
yep, the 98 did not have a v4 bumper, it had an OBS bumper. the v4 is similar to the v5, except that it has slats in the radiator opening and on the outside of the foglights there are three sections instead of two, with the top, most elongated one housing the turn signal.
I feel like an idiot now that I think about that more. It's the bumper turn signals that are compatible with v4 lenses. Duh...the v4 had the big foglights too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if i had much of a choice then id get the 00-01 btu i live in tx so RS's r hard to find (especially in my price range) so this one is the best one i can find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts