Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was just wondering about something. I have read about the difference of the manual and the autos on this forum but just had to ask this. It sounds that like auto is better for traction in a RS. I know the technical answers you guys have given but I would like to know the end user results of the two kinds, if that is possible.

I want performance. Which on is better?

thanxs

darshu

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Oh I love threads like this one.... mwuhhahahahaaaa! :devil:

Actually, there is almost no difference in performance numbers. The auto vs. the manual in the 0-60 is identical. And, when I race my RS in SCCA events, there is also nearly no difference. Ask anyone who I drive with - I am right up there with the fastest RS guys. And I am usually faster than many of the manuals - but a lot has to do with driver skill. You can shift the auto like the manual. The 1/4 mile is ALSO nearly identical for the two. So it really becomes personal preference.

My reasons for an automatic:

1. I have an arm injury - shifting is painful
2. Traffic - commuting should be as easy as possible :)
3. Reliability - I feel the auto trans last a long time when abused (moderately)
4. Ability to modify - the auto is electronically controlled, and if I ever get my act together I might start messing with it.
5. You can shift the auto just like a manual and have nearly the same control (No, not the same "fine" downshifting abilities of the manual, but decent for daily driving.)

However, the REAL question you should be asking yourself is THIS:

Are you going turbo?

If you are going turbo, get an automatic. The manual transmissions simply cannot handle as much power as the automatic can. End of story, unless you want to spend many thousands of dollars upgrading your manual to a full-dog box and other asinine things (IMO!!!) :lol:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the manual gives you way more control over what the engine is doing. if you want race results, you have to look at nationals where the driver is less of an issue (b/c they're all so good). all those guys are using manuals. at the auto-x here yesterday, i had to make 5 shifts, including two downshifts. there is no way an auto would have been able to do it. also, if you plan on doing alot of gravel/dirt driving, you definitly want a manual b/c you need to keep the revs in the torque range and any delay in putting the power down can have very detrimental repercutions if you're pushing hard. as for the turbo, i think gearbox longeivity has more to do with driving style. yes, if you are abusive to you're box (lots of hard lauches, improper downshifts, etc) its going to break. but there are plenty of people with turbos who have had no problems whatsoever with they're boxes, plain and simple. sure, they aren't running at 20psi, but the motor would blow if they tried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanxs for the fast answers.

I really want to get a RS but finding a manual RS is almost impossible. I see way more autos then manuals for sale. I guess I will still look for a good priced manual for sale in the Bay area. I just hate the feeling of having half of my body die away when I drive my crappy car. But I quess I can then complain about being tired after I drive my car :) . I guess I can never win.

I have one more question. I could have almost swore subaru of America quoted that RS's get better gas milage in auto then manual. Are they just assumming that people won't shift correctly so that is why the auto milage is better? Or is this another technical can of worms .:happynow:

To answer tha question: The don't want to turbo my RS if I ever get one. I want the engine to last as long as it can. Plus I need to save as much as I can on gas ...... I'm just a poor SJSU student needing a more inspirring ride.

thanxs

darshu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on how you drive the manual it could give you better or worse gas mileage. Than again, nobody buys a manual to keep the RPM's at 2000 for saving gas. =\

As for the whole turbo damaging your car in the long run rant, if you get all the proper parts for it, high flow catalytic converter, high flow exhaust, etc. it causes barely any more wear than a stock engine. Turbos don't burn more gas. It does of course void out your warranty though.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that you can't find a manual. They FAR outnumber automatics.

Nick C.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Darshu said:
Thanxs for the fast answers.

I really want to get a RS but finding a manual RS is almost impossible. I see way more autos then manuals for sale. I guess I will still look for a good priced manual for sale in the Bay area. I just hate the feeling of having half of my body die away when I drive my crappy car. But I quess I can then complain about being tired after I drive my car :) . I guess I can never win.

I have one more question. I could have almost swore subaru of America quoted that RS's get better gas milage in auto then manual. Are they just assumming that people won't shift correctly so that is why the auto milage is better? Or is this another technical can of worms .:happynow:

To answer tha question: The don't want to turbo my RS if I ever get one. I want the engine to last as long as it can. Plus I need to save as much as I can on gas ...... I'm just a poor SJSU student needing a more inspirring ride.

thanxs

darshu
I've got both. The missus has an '02 OBS with the auto and I've got my '01 RS 5 speed.

The OBS does a pretty good job, but it seems just a tad slower. I could be wrong though. We've also changed the midpipe and rear box with a mutated WRX unit and its really changed throttle response for the better. Its much smoother and shifts quicker.

Personally, I probably would've got an auto if I could do it again. In Miami, the traffic is horrible and the 5 speed is useless. I only get to take a couple of trips a year where the 5 speed is worthwhile and fun. Personally, I like having one of each. :)

As for the gas mileage thing...I do think its possible. I have no intake and am not running modified exhaust at the moment and the OBS still gets better mileage. At high speeds on the highway, it barely cracks 3000rpm at 80mph. The five speed is running between 3500 and 4000rpms. She's able to get almost 100 miles a tank more than my RS and I do more highway driving during the week. Most of her driving is stop and go with some high speed driving. Strange, but true.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
The automatic RS gets 1 mpg better mileage in the city, the freeway is the same. At least that is what the Subaru site said when I bought my 2000 RS.

·
Registered
02 Impreza RS Blue Ridge Pearl
122 Posts
Good Thread

I'm stuck on the same boat. I'm readyu to finally buy a new Subie and can't decide whether to get an auto or manual. I live in Los Angeles where we all know traffic isn't our bestfriend. An auto would be excellent for daily driving, but just the feel of downshifting and flooring it to a high RPM is just awesome. So I'm not sure. After driving in traffic with a 5 speed, say adios to my feet and right hand... that's the only set back.. hmm...
-Ells

1 - 10 of 10 Posts