Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m going to be upgrading the suspension and brakes on my 2001 GF8.
This is my daily that I also take driving frequently, it’s a fun and solid car, but now I’m looking to upgrade from the stock parts. This is also a winter car.

I’m not looking for high performance stuff. For brakes, just very basic rotors and pads for added stopping power. I’m also keeping the drums in the back for now so looking to upgrade those as well. For suspension I’m not looking to lower the car, just get stiffer more solid struts as the winters and roads where I live aren’t too kind on cars.

I’m mostly looking for suggestions or recommendations for manufacturers or parts that you trust that can do the job for me and anything else that can make the car more stable and solid. Should I also upgrade my other suspension bits? Anything else I should know about? I’m new to this whole thing and other than tires, suspension and brakes will be my first mods so I’m looking to do this the right way and also find out about what I should do.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
I moved your thread to the noob section. You posted in the correct section originally, but if you're gonna post first without searching, you will get a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
197 Posts
Hello all, I’m going to be upgrading the suspension and brakes on my 2001 GF8.
This is my daily that I also take driving frequently, it’s a fun and solid car, but now I’m looking to upgrade from the stock parts. This is also a winter car.

I’m not looking for high performance stuff. For brakes, just very basic rotors and pads for added stopping power. I’m also keeping the drums in the back for now so looking to upgrade those as well. For suspension I’m not looking to lower the car, just get stiffer more solid struts as the winters and roads where I live aren’t too kind on cars.

I’m mostly looking for suggestions or recommendations for manufacturers or parts that you trust that can do the job for me and anything else that can make the car more stable and solid. Should I also upgrade my other suspension bits? Anything else I should know about? I’m new to this whole thing and other than tires, suspension and brakes will be my first mods so I’m looking to do this the right way and also find out about what I should do.

Thanks.
I opted for StopTech rotors (slotted and drilled) and pads (see my journal for specifics). From what I read, I would probably go with just slotted, especially if it is a daily driver. I'm happy with my choice, but I really can't compare the stopping power compared to OEM because it was something like 10 years in between changing them.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
350 Posts
What trim level is it? You said GF8 and also "rear drum brakes". I'm not trying to be pedantic, but GF8 is generally the applied model for a turbo car. What trim level is your car? What engine did it come with? Knowing that will help us know what would be an upgrade for you as opposed to a downgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have Powerstop z26 brakes and I like them quite a bit. I will say to avoid ST Suspension coilovers if my experience is anything close to normal. I've been pretty unhappy with them. Very bouncy and both fronts blew pretty quickly. The 5 year warranty seems enticing, but I didn't have a way to use it because I needed the car to drive and didn't have an extra set of struts/springs to use in the meantime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts