Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 RS Blk Coupe 5spd
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I found out about double clutching and I was wondering if it is necessary to perform this technique for a 98 RS. I heard it was for old cars with no or really bad synchros.

Here's the vid I heard it from. He starts explaining at around 1:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxHi6FlGLo

Thanks!

·
Registered
04jbp STi, 93L+01 RS, 08 zx10R
478 Posts
I just thought it was called downshifting...and rev matching.....didnt know it was called "double clutch" .....I heard it on Fast and Furious I thought it was just a FF term or w/e...

Also he sounds nervous or like he doesn't know what hes talking about.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I just thought it was called downshifting...and rev matching.....didnt know it was called "double clutch" .....I heard it on Fast and Furious I thought it was just a FF term or w/e...

Also he sounds nervous or like he doesn't know what hes talking about.
Downshifting, rev matching, and double clutching are completely different things.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Rev-Matching=Good smooth downshifts
Double-Clutching=slow shifting for no reason

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
^Yes, that's all true, but how many of us drive cars without syncros? And I suppose I do double clutch into first gear when rolling, but I felt that wasn't really what the OP was asking about.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Yeah.. that's all I was really trying to point out. Getting into 1st on our cars can be a royal pain in the ass. Knowing how to double clutch will help when you really need it.

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
Yeah.. that's all I was really trying to point out. Getting into 1st on our cars can be a royal pain in the ass. Knowing how to double clutch will help when you really need it.

Well knowing how, I would say that it's not a big how but just knowing that you can double clutch, not a lot of skills involved

·
Banned
349 Posts
yeah on our Subies there is no need IMO to double clutch unless going into 1st while rolling. Use revmatching for everything else.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Blue
436 Posts
I find double clutching faster then waiting for the syncros to do their job. Also, it makes rev matching easier because you can bring the input shaft and engine up to speed together.

·
Registered
98 RS Blk Coupe 5spd
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
honestly, this guy is a tool. Sorry, not trying to hate but it had to be said.
Hahah, me? Im sorry for being so noob... I just got my 98 like 2 months ago and still am learning stick.... I am sorry for insulting your intelligence.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Also, if your just easily slowing down for a light or a stop sign, have plenty of time, go for it. Double Clutch. It will not hurt anything, and it will reduce synchro wear juuuuuuuuuust a little. I double clutch alot in those situations.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts