Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
98 RS Blk Coupe 5spd
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I found out about double clutching and I was wondering if it is necessary to perform this technique for a 98 RS. I heard it was for old cars with no or really bad synchros.

Here's the vid I heard it from. He starts explaining at around 1:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxHi6FlGLo

Thanks!

· Registered
04jbp STi, 93L+01 RS, 08 zx10R
862 Posts
I just thought it was called downshifting...and rev matching.....didnt know it was called "double clutch" .....I heard it on Fast and Furious I thought it was just a FF term or w/e...

Also he sounds nervous or like he doesn't know what hes talking about.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
I just thought it was called downshifting...and rev matching.....didnt know it was called "double clutch" .....I heard it on Fast and Furious I thought it was just a FF term or w/e...

Also he sounds nervous or like he doesn't know what hes talking about.
Downshifting, rev matching, and double clutching are completely different things.

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
^Yes, that's all true, but how many of us drive cars without syncros? And I suppose I do double clutch into first gear when rolling, but I felt that wasn't really what the OP was asking about.

· Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
219 Posts
Yeah.. that's all I was really trying to point out. Getting into 1st on our cars can be a royal pain in the ass. Knowing how to double clutch will help when you really need it.

Well knowing how, I would say that it's not a big how but just knowing that you can double clutch, not a lot of skills involved

· Meany Head
2000 RSC
13,908 Posts
Also, if your just easily slowing down for a light or a stop sign, have plenty of time, go for it. Double Clutch. It will not hurt anything, and it will reduce synchro wear juuuuuuuuuust a little. I double clutch alot in those situations.

· Meany Head
2000 RSC
13,908 Posts
Hahah, me? Im sorry for being so noob... I just got my 98 like 2 months ago and still am learning stick.... I am sorry for insulting your intelligence.
No not you.. At least.. I don't believe he was referring to you. I believe he was referring to the dude in the video.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.