Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking to source a sti for a different state and I want to BAR it in California. I was wondering if the ecu or engine from another state would cause me to fail. I have read somewhere that i need a California engine, but these engines are all the same through out all of the US right?

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
I've never heard of Subaru having CA and Federal version engine/ecu. But I doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right I have not either, but assuming they do not exist, then I can use any sti engine right? (even from a different state?)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
into what car, 95 OBD1?

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have a 95 impreza L obd1. I want to get it BAR'd after the swap. I just dont want to swap in an engine and emissions equipment that do not work with California.

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
As long as it has on the cats/02's/air pump goodies you'll be fine as long as everything is on it as if the engine were to be sold in ca inside a new vehicle.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Most Subarus are 50-state vehicles as far as I can tell, so the engine/ECU should be California compliant.

When I got my car BAR'd, my local referee made a big stink about me getting proof (an invoice or something) from Subaru that my ECU was California compliant. Like, he wanted my local dealer to hook up the ECU and print out...something? to show that it was compliant.

I don't know exactly what he wanted me to get, but I called up my local dealer and explained the situation to the service manager. He said there wasn't really a way for them to hook up and print anything out that sounded like what the Referee wanted. What he did do was take the VIN of the chassis my engine came from, and he gave this printout that shows some history of the chassis, and that it was built with a "Spec Code: C", which apparently means it was California spec? Or at least California compliant. I'm still fairly certain the 06 WRX is 50-state anyways, so it didn't really matter.

I don't really know what 'Spec Code: C' really means, but my Ref still wasn't sure if it would be good enough documentation. He made a call, and I guess whoever he called said it was good enough, so he inspected my car and ended up passing it.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So guys I found the specs for the STI, they are all 50 state legal unless I am wrong. So if this is the case I can use a non California USDM STI engine in my 95L and I should still pass? (assuming I am using the corresponding cats, ecu and o2 sensors)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Premium
179 Posts
As long as you keep the charcoal canister for the fuel tank and keep the engine emissions equipment stock you should be fine. Although, if you do keep your old gas tank you will get a CEL for a missing solenoid. P1446.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will probably change the fuel tank. So that means even the o2 sensors, cats, and ecu will work? Even though they are from a different state?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts