Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a straining noise as I release the clutch on my Brighton. It only makes noise when I'm slowly slipping the clutch in lower gears. It's not a clunking or any thing, more like a grown. I'm wondering if this might be the first signs of my clutch or my master cylinder going out?

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Its probably the sound of the fork when its rubbing the clutch springs. I put grease on a clothes hanger and used a flashlight to see into the hole to smear some on the clutch fingers. Went away for a few weeks but came back. I also managed to smear some onto the fork's pivot too.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
On the top of the transmission / rear of engine, there is a square-ish black rubber boot with a metal deal (clutch fork end) sticking up out of the middle. There will be a cable attached to it if you have cable, or a hydraulic cylinder pushing it if its hydraulic clutch. Mine is cable so I just loosened the locknuts and slipped the cable off. THen I yanked the rubber boot out of the transmission. I had to hold a small maglight in my teeth and wiggle the clutch fork around a little to be able to wipe some grease on with the end of the clotheshanger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.