Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am new to this and wanted to hear your opinions. I have a '05 Impreza 2.5RS Wagon. I have noise when my front wheels get in contact with bumps, and only sometimes when I brake hard over uneven surface, the noise sounds like something is clicking in place (just once), rather dull sound, metal on metal kind. I can't really say exactly where noise is coming from though, but it sounds like from maybe brakes?, arms or suspension?, basically front wheels area. Sometime I feel it sounds more on the right side. Please help.

Thanks!

p.s. I will take it to mechanic, but wanted to hear your opinion.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Pop the hood, tighten the strut bolts (3 per side), see if it goes away.

Jack up the car, grab the sides of the tire and see if it wiggles at all. It shouldn't wiggle at all. Check the other side, do the same. This is checking to see if the wheel bearings are going bad.

Look under the car and check the tie rods, ball joints, and axle. Make sure the boots are still good.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Also DO NOT over tighten those bolts he pointed out. They snap rather easily. 15lbs is all they need. That's like very little with a hand wrench if you don't have a torque wrench.

Check the bigger one in the middle around those three. It's under a dust cap.. just flip it off. I had this happen on my old '95 when I had a shop install the struts and springs. Previous owner I bought them off of loosened that bolt and it sounded bad! Fixed in like 2 seconds by the shop.

... this was before I knew anything about cars, ha.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Thanks cmiovino. Guess I should mention that about those strut bolts from now on, so no one ends up snapping them.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Sorry for being total noob :) Strut bolts - are these two on each side of the engine, round islands close to fenders and windshield?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts

Right where the guy is bolting down. Those 3 bolts, there's another 3 on the other side.

There's also the bolt in the middle. There may or may not be a piece of plastic over it. Might as well tighten that one too.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
Thanks guys! Sorry for being total noob :) Strut bolts - are these two on each side of the engine, round islands close to fenders and windshield?
That's it but check with your fingers if not loose leave them alone, no need to over torque 3 nuts.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I checked struts - fine. For some reason the noise is not there anymore?.. Or maybe its only there when I brake hard...I am thinking it is something to do with breaks. I think this all started after I have changed my front rotors & breaks... I am taking it to Subaru dealer for full inspection next week.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
if it's there when you break, then you're looking possibly at front wheel bearings, front caliper bolts...especially if you just did front brakes, pays to check those caliper bolts. Even slightly not torqued to spec and it will move as weight transfer...sorta like a see-saw

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's it, thanks Z1! This is what exactly happens when I break sharp, or if I break when descending there is a slight click, like you said see-saw movement. I will check an will let you know. Btw what is a good portable tools kit I can buy that will give me everything I need or a car guys. Thanks again man!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's it, thanks Z1! This is what exactly happens when I break sharp, or if I break when descending there is a slight click, like you said see-saw movement. I will check an will let you know. Btw what is a good portable tools kit I can buy that will give me everything I need or a car guys. Thanks again man!

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Depends in how much work you plan on doing, there won't be any kind of hand tool kit that will have everything you need. Just start off with a like 100 piece tool set, a toolbox, and add what you think you'll need to it. From there, you'll end up adding more and more tools as time goes on.

I hate those tool sets, cause I end up getting tools I'll never need. Mostly anything standard. All my cars are metric. Thing is, it's so much cheaper to buy one of them, than start off buying things seperate. Also, you end up finding out that you need 2 of everything anyways.

My suggestion, just start off with a mechanics tool set that you can afford, then add in a breaker bar, pry bar, and a 1/2" ratchet set.

I had to start building up my tools again, since I moved to Germany and all my tools are sitting in the states. I started off with a like 105 piece Craftsman mechanics set, since I could easily buy it at the BX and not pay for some crazy shipping price. Since then, I added another 3/8" socket set, bungie straps, hex wrench set, and screwdriver set. I don't have to get too crazy with my tools, since I get to go to the Auto Skills Center on base and do my work using their tools.

I'd like to get a 1/2" socket wrench, which they sell at the BX, but they don't sell 1/2" sockets. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Probably end up ordering it online with a breaker bar and jack.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Thankfully it's easy enough to check. Like I said even something torqued slightly out of spec can cause this sound because of the weight transfer that occurs when you're on/off the pedal. I remember having it on one of my cars for the longest time, but would only hear it when I went over a speed bump in my development (aftermarket BBK). Tried everything, to no avail. Finally, a customer bought that kit off me and when removing it, it dawned on me...damn, these caliper bolts are slightly out of torque spec. New kit went on, no issues since. Client installed and tracked his car with my old BBK for 2+ years, no noises either. It's amazing what something so simple can cause...and until you track it down, it's frustrating as hell!

For tools, it's tough because it really is budget dependent IMHO.

Are you looking for something to keep with you in the car, or something for use when you're home? Tools can get very expensive very quickly, but it's also something that if you do it right, it will go with you, and last, any car you have now or in the future. Like car parts, good tools are made in nearly every country. There is no such thing as "German/American/Japanese, etc" being the best. Some guys love that Craftsman has a lifetime warranty. Other guys would prefer to spend 2 x as much, and never have to utilize a warranty. All depends what you're using it for, and especially the frequency with which it will be used. My own stuff is just a mix of stuff. Things that don't get used very often (like the odd sized allen bolts used on my seats), the cheap $17 Kobalt set worked just fine. Not the greatest metal, definitely not the best tolerances, but it worked. It's not a part that will be on and off with any regularity. For stuff that gets more use, like sockets, I've had mixed results with Craftsman, and as they break I replace 'em with Snap On Open ends I have mainly Snap On with some Craftsman, for ratchet (3/8 and 1/2) I have Snap On - because I've managed to bend some other cheaper stuff in those "all in one" tool kits. For my torque wrench, as of yet I only have a 3/8....that's made by CDI. Only trick you gotta remember is some require you to reset them back to 0 before putting it away.

Beginners guide to ratchets and wrenches. - The Garage Journal Board

good thread to gain an understanding on tool design, makes it easier to identify stuff worth buying when the time comes

Just do it over time, set a budget, and you'll acquire a worthwhile set without having to deal with breakage. Of course if this stuff is for once in a while use, it's your car how much is worth spending.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Craftsman's quality has really turned to crap recently. I've already broken 2 socket wrenches from them. Not even a year of use. My old Craftsman socket wrenches from 99 are still going strong.

Am I mad at how cheap those new ones suck? Sure, but at the same time. I know I can just walk into Sears and trade in the old busted one and get a new one.

Course it's gotten to the point that I'm really looking at moving to a different brand for things like a socket wrench. I use those so often, I'd lose money constantly going to Sears to get a replacement wrench.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for advices! So guess what, I went in to check calipers by myself. Looks like this was the problem. But I got another one now, when I was checking I noticed behind the arms there is slight opening and there a flat panel (cat converter?) that is closer to engine - it's propped open >.< Bolts are still there but there is about an inch opening. What is this?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's similar to transmission pan and I believe it's located behind it, between the front tires. Please help!

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Think you'll need to post a picture. Don't understand the description

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,905 Posts
it wasn't mentioned but the crappy plastic endlinks are usually the first to start wearing and making noise. Also an odd ball with brake noise is the pad clips that go between the pads and the caliper brackets, kind of the same idea as z1 mentioned except it's just the pads that are allowed to move

1 - 20 of 22 Posts