Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 95 impreza lx and one day it started rattling when i started it up. Didnt think to much of it nothing was effected by it and only existed for like 2 seconds on start up.

Then it made the noise if I let off the gas above 60mph.

Then yesterday like 2 minutes from home the rattle was constant except between 1500-2300rpm. I was planning on doing the timing belt today thinking it was a bad pulley or tensioner.

When I got the alternator and AC belt off I was able to just spin the crank pulley. There was a little resistance here and there but the main thing was the noise that I heard in what I believe to be between the engine and auto trans. It's like metal on metal banging every 1/4 turn on the crank pulley.

Anyone have any idea what this noise could be or what u should look at?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
581 Posts
Could be that one or more of the bolts that hold your flexplate to the torque converter are backing out, catching casting ridges in the bellhousing or something... Did a motor swap for my buddy recently and his torque converter bolts were loose, kinda scary.
I've also seen the flexplates crack, I imagine if it got bad enough it would break apart.

There's a plug under the intake manifold that let's you peek into the bellhousing and access the torque converter bolts. You may have to remove the intake manifold, but I think it would be worth taking a look in there to see what's up. If the bolts are just loose, remove them and add locktite and re-torque one by one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts