Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Ok so i just picked up another 96' 1.8l impreza and there is no spark on the rear two cylinders. I took the coil pack off my DD impreza to see if that was the problem but still no spark, also did the same for the ignitor. I just realized i didn't change the wires (which is how we were checking spark) but ill check that tomorrow.

So anyone have any ideas? Maybe a short?

Thanks!
Anthony

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well it appears this is one of those really common problems because of all the responses I got :lol: Anyway, I narrowed it down to either the computer or a short between the computer and the ignitor. I'll be testing the output of the computer tomorrow and if that's fine then ill just run another wire from the computer to the ignitor instead of trying to find a single short in that mess of wires.

Feel free to input something so it will at least appear that im not talking to myself here :stupid:

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen this happen because the timing belt was on wrong... Just a thought...
you mean like the pulley isn't lined up right or something else? my thought was if the sensor wasn't good or it wasn't lined up i wouldn't have spark on all 4 not just 2, but i could also test this on my other 96' impreza.

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so the output pin on the computer for cylinders 3 & 4 is only putting out ~1/2 V when it should put out 3.5V (the pin for cylinders 1 & 2 does put out 3.5V)...now does anyone know if the computer is junk or is this caused by something else?

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well just an update i found that the cam sensor was held on with a spring b/c someone broke its housing off the block and just put it back with a spring...hope that's the problem, also i bought an obd II code reader and the car surprisingly doesn't throw any codes...also i tested the car with a working computer and the computer in the car is fine.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
It is more likely something external like a sensor or underhood connection is the problem, the ecu's are very reliable. You have to pretty much intentionally short something to fry them. Probably on the right track with the sensor, the ecu does crazy things when a cam or crank sensor aren't working properly.

· RWD
01 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx
512 Posts
well just an update i found that the cam sensor was held on with a spring b/c someone broke its housing off the block and just put it back with a spring...hope that's the problem, also i bought an obd II code reader and the car surprisingly doesn't throw any codes...also i tested the car with a working computer and the computer in the car is fine.

WOW WTF

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah that was my reaction. It's an easy fix with JB weld but I mean come on there was no reason not to tell me this when I bought the car (I still would have bought it), would have saved me a lot of time if this is in fact the problem. But lesson learned, check the engine to make sure a sensor isn't held on by a spring before buying a car :lol:

· Registered
96 Impreza Brightons
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im offically out of ideas...the coil, ignitor, computer, wires, crank sensor and cam sensor are all in working order yet the car doesnt start and i dont get spark on cyl 3 and 4. Im going to replace the plugs tomorrow so maybe i can get it at least firing on 2 cyl's but i still dont know whats wrong here. no codes being thrown, but i can make it throw some by disconnecting stuff. all things i check by putting on a part of my working 96' impreza.

so any ideas here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.